The Story Behind Your Username

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Been a while since we had a topic worthy of a Welcome To Arachnoboards thread. Special thanks to @Arthroverts for suggesting this topic.

Since the dark ages of Usenet & BBS, through the renaissance period of AOL & Yahoo, to the current times of Forums & Social Media, creating an online persona has been a time honored tradition. For some, there is no more exciting and/or anxiety inducing feeling than clicking that register button and having to create a username. There's no comparing, to anything else in the world, the euphoric moment when you come up with what you think is the perfect name to use or the existential dread deep in your soul when you draw a complete blank .

Please take a moment and share with us The Story Behind Your Username. :)

Regards,
The Arachnoboards Team

Additional note 6/20/20: Apparently, unknown to some of us, a thread with the same topic has been going on in our off topic forum "The Watering Hole" since May of 2018. We would like to take a moment to give credit where credit is due to the original starter of that thread: @Greasylake

If you would like to read the original thread and you have Watering Hole access (more info on that here), here's a link to it: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/where-did-your-screen-names-come-from.307276/

Last edited by a moderator:

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
We'll start it off with a really boring one. When we created the website, an "official" account was needed for it. It was then that the Arachnoboards account was born.

Hopefully you will have some better stories ;)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, guess I'll go second.

I originally got on this site under a personal name, but after a while I got tired of having it floating around on the internet. So I paid $5 (at least it was $5 at the time) to get a name change, and really wanted to clinch it with a really clever name. I really love all invertebrates, and at the time I was wondering what the difference was between arthropods and invertebrates. I didn't figure it out until later, but it did give me a great idea for a name...
So yes, Arthro-verts, mix of both arthropods and invertebrates, in what I think is the best way possible. I have had people refer to invertebrates in general as arthroverts upon reading my username, which makes me believe that I succeeded in my mission to create a clever username.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The year was 1997.

AOL was still sending out coasters...I mean installation disks to the masses.

In a moment of cosmic convergence, at the same time that I was going through a pop-punk phase, AIM came out and I needed a new username.

I was partaking in the aural stylings of a new band called Smash Mouth (years before All-Star came out, stop judging me). While listening to the CD (mp3's, youtube, and spotify weren't even nocturnal emissions back then) and reading the lyrics book (the internet didn't have lyric sites then either), I came across a song called "Pet Names" (I'd link it here but then I'd have to mod myself for a Language violation and I hate having to do that).

I was about 3/4 of the way through the song when divine inspiration struck. Surely there must be a higher power in the universe to gift me with this, the most perfect of usernames, that perfectly describes my gender and state of mind.

It has been my nom de plume ever since.

Regards,
MrD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was creating my first email address before high-speed internet existed.

I wanted something short that combined my love of reptiles and space. Thus my screen name was created from a class of snake and the year man landed on the moon.

Last edited:

mellow

Arachnobaron
my real name is William and I was thinking of an account name and I typed in mailliw my name spelled backwards and messed around a bit and ended up with mellow. :D

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I was staring at my books and my eyes landed on the "Dark Tower" series.
As I scanned across the row, I got to "Song of Susannah" and recalled the "Maid of Constant Sorrow" references.
It seemed appropriate. And I really, REALLY love those books.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
DomGom is the name of the spirit directly above me. That's the name he gave me, anyway.
The father.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Mine is simple it’s my last name! There’s only one other clan of people in the US with my last name so it’s rarely taken.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Mine is my initials and I am the 3rd. So simple as that.

jutakin2me

Arachnopeon
I've used this handle since I was very young and AOL had a character limit on usernames. Say it with a bit of a Cuban accent :)

cold blood

Staff member
Hmmm, maybe we should find the old thread on this topic and link it?

Mine is two fold....first, aside from dogs, all my favorite animals are cold blooded. Secondly, I am always cold and like temps hot, much warmer than most people in WI like it anyway., so my friends have always referred to me as cold blooded. Plus...I just thought it sounded cool...lol.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Mine is simple it’s my last name! There’s only one other clan of people in the US with my last name so it’s rarely taken.
That must be really cool.
My last name is almost as common as smith.
My greater grandfather changed our surname when he came to the US. It is lost, now.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My username originated from a game called Miscrits. This game was basically a Pokemon rip-off on facebook before it got deleted permanently due to the creator company going bankrupt. There was this creature called "Liquifien" in the game, and this creature was the coolest looking evolution line I liked at the time in the game long ago. Which I decided to take that name as my username, but I removed the "e" in "Liquifien", hence my username.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My snake (since pts) Athena. Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa plus the year I was born.

5 year old pics from a phone.

FDB3EF4A-B4BD-4160-BE6D-F6BE5F1D7ED5.jpeg A8092793-01BA-45E9-A0B4-9D8E9AC01318.jpeg

Lukitari

Arachnopeon
Been a fan of Tolkien since before I could read (thanks to audiobooks and my parents) and my favourite chapter in Lord of the Rings is Shelob's Lair (it's actually where my obsession with spiders began) and Lukitari is Shelob in finnish.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
My username is a Zoid.

Never heard of a zoid before? You're not alone haha. Although very popular inJapan, Zoids never really developed in the US. Zoids (went by other names as well) is a comic/manga that eventually turned into a TV series dating way back to the 80s. Possibly even earlier in Japan. A zoid is a fictional mechanical lifeform normally in the form of an animal/creature.Tomy, a Japanese company, manufacturer tons of model kits you could build. When I was growing up I was obsessed with the them.

So what is a Gurantula?

It's a spider type zoid from one of the original series back in the 80s. That's how I got my username.

Here is a pic of my model :) I'm a nerd haha

20200619_195401.jpg