the sands of time finally ran out :<

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sadly today i found my male A.avicularia (the one that ive mentioned was going downhill in a few posts) dead

he was in a natural climbing position on his bark thing so im guessing he died during his day-to-day activities... he hasnt curled yet, although part of his foot has fallen off

ah well, i got him from a CRAPPY pet store in january - he was dehydrated, badly nutrioned, and being kept in a cricket tub in the terrestrial set up, i only bought him coz he was the only spider and i kinda felt sorry for him... they didnt even know he was a male

in the short time i had him though, he went on a breeding mission, so hopefully he didnt die in vain :>

im wondering if anyone knows any ways to preserve them, as my mum liked that spider so i may have him framed

cheers people...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sucks, but at least you give him a chance to live out his last days in a good home. Take comfort in that..:(

Ernie

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
awww poor thing least he died peacefully and got laid before his life was over ;)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
awww poor thing least he died peacefully and got laid before his life was over ;)
haha yeah,

the female bit him after they mated, hes got a 'scar' (from the repair glue) on his abdomen :) (this wasnt cause of death i dont think as it happened around 6 weeks ago)

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
im wondering if anyone knows any ways to preserve them, as my mum liked that spider so i may have him framed

you can try to put him in clear resin and preserve him there.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: the sands of time finally ran out :<

Originally posted by vardoulas
you can try to put him in clear resin and preserve him there.
ahh could you elaborate on this please? what sort of resin and where do you buy it from?

cheers

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You gave him a good home and gave him a chance to breed.
Which he wouldn't have gotten without you.
You rescued him from a Bad nasty place he would have died in.

I'm sorry for your loss but commend your efforts for him.

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss.. some pet stores are so messed up in the fact that they don't care what they are selling. they don't take the time to find any info on there T's. no wonder T's get a bad name some times !! instead of it being blamed on the pet store it gets blamed on the T... duh :?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the way I preserve mine is to just let them dry out, spead the legs out in a natural looking position and what I do then is take a piece of toothpick and curl the fangs out. I got lucky, I have a full size t blondi that passed, when it dried the abdomon didnt shrink, if you look at it, youd swear it was alive.
Anybody interested in it?

safetypinup

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by veronyka
But wouldn't a real, dead T smell after a while?:?
Yes, it *definitely* would.
If you want to preserve your T, I would recommend the resin method, as well. Stick him in the freezer for the time being, to preserve him so he doesn't start to decompose and smell (yech). Go to a craft store and get a poly resin kit--these usually come with instructions for use, and simply encase him in it. You should be able to hang him on the wall (or use him as a paper weight) for many, many years. heh.
There was an article in the ATS forum about resin casting. Unfortunately, I don't have that article in front of me right now, but perhaps someone else could point you to it. Good luck.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks people, im going to look into it, ill keep you all updated

i have a scorpion corpse that ive had for a good 6 or 7 years, i just kept it in a see through air tight container, i think its in the attic now though. If i can find it ill scan it :D