The 'sad' rating

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think adding the rating 'sad' was a good one. However, I noticed that receiving this rating actually is a negative one, like 'disagree' and 'dislike' are.
This isn't correct imo because this rating is usually used to convey a supportive message if someone lost a spider or other sad experiences. I don't think it is appropriate to receive a negative rating if someone supports you....

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
There are no "negative" ratings. Disagree, Dislike and Sad are all "neutral" ratings.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
But they shouldn't be...disagree and dislike are clearly not neutral, but are in fact, obviously negative.
Beats the H out of Zuckerturd's fluffy bunny heaven of like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like .......

HOWEVER, the eyebrows are things should promote positive social discourse. Dislike and Disagree can and have been used as anti-social clubs and trolling and it can take the admins here way too long to get a grip.

HOWEVER, emotes suck. SUCK. All you sheep get in these lines and baaaaa!

My take.
Like=Works for me.
Dislike= .... naw. Clicking that is being negative. I got a problem with the post I'll type it out. Promote social interaction.
Agree=Matches my thinking.
Disagree=..... awww, poor puppy. The world isn't your personal plaything? Instead of disagree, click Close (that window) and go get a life.
Informative=Contains useful information. May not be accurate but something to gnaw on.
Funny=First impression upon reading. Follow up with text if it has really hit home.
Sad=How it makes me feel.
Helpful=On topic, seems to be spot on. A resource.
Clarification Please=Can be taken as a negative so I usually avoid it. Should always be followed up with text: Excuse me Albert, you lost me at the C squared part.
Love=Strikes home. Whispers of the heart.
Optimistic=From 'In your dreams' through 'In a perfect world maybe' on out to 'let us hope...'.
Useful=Definitely a reference
Creative=Yeah, I can see that. That would work. Bright idea. Avoiding Homer Simpson brain today.
Award=Spot on.
Lollipop=Errrg huh what okay. Need to insert something here.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have the beer option. I have used it positively like "here's a cold one on me, bud" and negatively as "man, calm down and have a beer or something."
Some of them (food types) I usually assume are meant as a positive -- like lollipop: "Have a treat dear" although a few times I've used that one too like "here's a lollipop, now go away."

I need a cheat sheet to use some of them, I guess. lol

Anyway, hope they are AB counted as positive or neutral when used.

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
I have never used the 'sad' rating negatively. I only click on that one when something unfortunate has actually taken place.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have never used the 'sad' rating negatively. I only click on that one when something unfortunate has actually taken place.
Which was what it was meant to be, I think, a supportive rating like 'love'.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Beats the H out of Zuckerturd's fluffy bunny heaven of like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like .......

HOWEVER, the eyebrows are things should promote positive social discourse. Dislike and Disagree can and have been used as anti-social clubs and trolling and it can take the admins here way too long to get a grip.

HOWEVER, emotes suck. SUCK. All you sheep get in these lines and baaaaa!

My take.
Like=Works for me.
Dislike= .... naw. Clicking that is being negative. I got a problem with the post I'll type it out. Promote social interaction.
Agree=Matches my thinking.
Disagree=..... awww, poor puppy. The world isn't your personal plaything? Instead of disagree, click Close (that window) and go get a life.
Informative=Contains useful information. May not be accurate but something to gnaw on.
Funny=First impression upon reading. Follow up with text if it has really hit home.
Sad=How it makes me feel.
Helpful=On topic, seems to be spot on. A resource.
Clarification Please=Can be taken as a negative so I usually avoid it. Should always be followed up with text: Excuse me Albert, you lost me at the C squared part.
Love=Strikes home. Whispers of the heart.
Optimistic=From 'In your dreams' through 'In a perfect world maybe' on out to 'let us hope...'.
Useful=Definitely a reference
Creative=Yeah, I can see that. That would work. Bright idea. Avoiding Homer Simpson brain today.
Award=Spot on.
Lollipop=Errrg huh what okay. Need to insert something here.
I always wonder why individuals choose to click the disagree and dislike buttons without actually saying anything. It seems a little cheap to me.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Me either, I've always used it to give condolences. Dislike, I've used, as "I didn't like what had been spoken about". Then give a reason, usually.

Leila

Arachnobaron
I have a question while we are on the topic of ratings.

Did the ratings not exist in the beginning? I notice that older posts (from the early 2000s) are completely void of them.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The ratings changed from Proboards to the new Xenforo. The DB behind the ratings didn't get ported. Thus you have 'points' from probords and 'ratings'. As Mr. D said, there are no negative (or positive) ratings. Just clicks counted.

cold blood

Staff member
I think thats the most common use....i also use it when i see husbandry or general attitudes that basically suck...so for me, its also kind of a pity rating very often.

Last edited:

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Like=Works for me.
Dislike= ....
I only see nine of those in the bottom right of every post. Is it a post-count thing?

Dur... never mind. Just saw the post in the announcements board.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Why are more available like face palm and beer to some and not to others? Seems a strange way to utilise the system, just wondering if anyone knows.

Lucashank

Arachnosquire
Why are more available like face palm and beer to some and not to others? Seems a strange way to utilise the system, just wondering if anyone knows.
I'm pretty sure that users who have donated to this website are given the privilege of using those ratings. Ones who pay the minimum are given rights for certain ratings, and ones who pay the next amount up may use the rest, I believe.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have a question while we are on the topic of ratings.

Did the ratings not exist in the beginning? I notice that older posts (from the early 2000s) are completely void of them.
I think that has something to do with using another forum software before. The posts moved with the new software, but the ratings didn't.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure that users who have donated to this website are given the privilege of using those ratings. Ones who pay the minimum are given rights for certain ratings, and ones who pay the next amount up may use the rest, I believe.
Yeah that would make sense, giving people who've donated to AB more of a choice than more experienced keepers, NOT, seems they've got it backward, it should be down to ratings and experience, regarding all the rating features, my tuppence worth.