The right steps

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
Im looking to expand my T collection but only have a year expierience with handling and thats only with a B.Smithi. and as of 2 weeks ago a L.Parahybana but its only 6 months old. I do want a P.Ornata really bad but the teleporting thing im not ready for yet. any way my question is. What should be my next set of Ts to help me become propperlly expierenced in this hobby, or Any order any would suggest.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Im looking to expand my T collection but only have a year expierience with handling and thats only with a B.Smithi. and as of 2 weeks ago a L.Parahybana but its only 6 months old. I do want a P.Ornata really bad but the teleporting thing im not ready for yet. any way my question is. What should be my next set of Ts to help me become propperlly expierenced in this hobby, or Any order any would suggest.
Buy a Pterinochilus murinus and dont be trying to handle it or feed it mice etc (joke) and then you might gain more of a respect for these pets (I bought a P.murinus as my second T) it gives you a great understanding that they are to be respected by owning a mardy OW tarantula.

Maybe buy a few other Brachypelma and/or some Avicularia species too, they're pretty cool T's to keep and rewarding :)

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
I was waitting for a mouse comment but didnt think it would be in the 1st one. LOL As for the respect thing I dont need an Old World T to tag me to respect them.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was waitting for a mouse comment but didnt think it would be in the 1st one. LOL As for the respect thing I dont need an Old World T to tag me to respect them.
LOL

I'm not saying that......

I'm saying if you get a more defensive tarantula next that has to be admired from afar I think you will gain a higher respect for these amazing creatures, dont be thinking that every "fluffy tarantula" will be all friendly, it all depends on the personality of the actual tarantula in question and there is the lesson to be learned in that, to find out how each tarantula acts and behaves in your collection is temperament wise (which can vary from moult to moult) and how you should treat it.

This is really a great hobby and very rewarding at that but many tarantulas dont want to be handled nor need it IMO, although from time to time I do like to handle the odd one I'm under no illusion at all that the actual tarantula is getting any enjoyment from the interaction.

You have much to learn young Jedi......

:}

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you looking to go arboreal?

How about some type of Psalmopoeus? A bit naughtier then an Avic, and most stick around their tube webs. I've heard the irminias is a bit more easily provoked then cambridgeis. So far my cambridgei stays out, but retreats to it's web when I go into it's tank. My reduncus is still a sling & hides a lot.

Or even a type of Tapinauchenius? My T. gigas are also pretty quick & i've gotten into tug of war more then once with my slings over food removal, but pretty cool overall.

Neither have the venom of an OW species. Although none are really recommended for regular handling :)

Pokies really aren't that bad though. My P. ornata sling is actually easier to deal with then my T. gigas slings.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your going to learn very quickly that a large amount of T species are just not good to be handled. There are rare instances in which an individual T may allow it, but rarely. P. murinus is a great T to teach you how to deal with defensive T's, but you definitely dont want to hold it.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Next T

I'm assuming that you want something a bit more challenging than you heavy-bodied Terrestrials, to kinda "prepare you for you're beloved Ornata. That leads you to Arboreals, or something with similar speed, like the previously suggested OBT. I like the Psalmo suggestion. Avics are fast arboreals, but rarely teleport. they rarely try to bolt. I can't give you any hands-on advice on pokies (don't have any), but from what I picked up from the forums, and people I know that have them, the Regalis is a better (starter pokie). IMO, they are very beautiful also. If I can suggest only 1 thing, then check the bite reports. Especially Robc's experience with his Ornata. They are defiantely not a good 2nd or 3rd T. They grow huge, have a nasty rep. by Pokie standards, and are cabable of putting you in a world of pain!! So again, I'd have to say that a Psalmo, or even an OBT or P Regalis would be a better choice to get some experience with, before going for the Ornata. Sorry for the long post.... Brian

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poecilotheria regalis was my third T, they're awesome, pokies are, very private tarantulas although will usually take flight over fight but there can always be exceptions..... Id go for the Pterinochilus murinus though......

I sat and watched mine dig a new burrow for over three hours one day and its fascinating :)

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
My other Ts are a B.vagans and a A,Versicolor and a L.parahybana. and yes i dont want another terrestrieal.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You may check out some GBBs. One of my personal favorite. Amazing color, crazy web jobs, and they eat like machines. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a GBB. They are a little jumpy but i'm not big into holding tarantulas myself. I hope that helps a little bit.

Matt

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Granted, I love my pair of P. murinus, but it sounds like the OP wants to go for speed, but isn't ready for OW venom yet.

And best species is subjective ;) P. ornata is the only pokie i've had so far. Next will be a P. rufilata until I can get a P. metallica. Haven't had a regalis & have no desire to have one :D

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Granted, I love my pair of P. murinus, but it sounds like the OP wants to go for speed, but isn't ready for OW venom yet.

And best species is subjective ;) P. ornata is the only pokie i've had so far. Next will be a P. rufilata until I can get a P. metallica. Haven't had a regalis & have no desire to have one :D
Regalis are the king of all pokies, dont you know???

:?

;)

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
A GBB sound like exactly what i want. I also just found sum 1 with a 3 inc P,Regalis for $35 is that good. its unsexed

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
OBT Havent heard anything good about them except for them being reall really sweet looking wich I agree with.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I would buy a sling, but that is just because I enjoy to watch them grow. I think it's an awesome experience. If you wanna start with a larger one I would just buy a guaranteed female. Regalis are probably the cheapiest pokie out there so a female wouldn't put too much of a dent in your wallet. Just make sure your a hundred percent sure you're ready for a pokie

Matt

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Personally I would buy a sling, but that is just because I enjoy to watch them grow. I think it's an awesome experience. If you wanna start with a larger one I would just buy a guaranteed female. Regalis are probably the cheapiest pokie out there so a female wouldn't put too much of a dent in your wallet. Just make sure your a hundred percent sure you're ready for a pokie

Matt
Jeeeees....

P.regalis are still awesome!!!

My girl was one of my favourite T's ever!!!

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh I deffeenitly agree man. There colors are awesome and there cheap. Double awesome lol.