The proof is in the pudding. Or screening, as the case may be.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
A recent thread was discussing the downside of screen tops, and of course the subject of chewing arose. if i recall correctly, i think somebody expressed disbelief.
As a temporary condition I am using a screen top on my LP cage until i can devise a better one, and it appears it had better be soon. This isn't nearly as traumatic as other photos that have been shown here, but it illustrates what even an as yet not fully grown tarantula with too much time on it's tarsals can do. The fangs my LP aren't even that impressive yet. (but I wouldn't want them driven into me, it wouldn't be a mere pin-prick) she has some growing to do yet.
The round hole is merely a hole in the styrofoam that I used for background contrast. IMG_5811crop.JPG

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Nice, it looks like the T really went to town all over that screen top. Or is it just an older top? I noticed a lot of deformation of the metal strands all over it

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It isn't a new top, but the trauma happened after the LP was housed in it. Previously, it had been the lid for a pac-man frog, not known for chewing up screen. But I have caught the LP at work. In fact just the other night, his fangs were protruding up through it. I wish I had had the presence of mind to snap a picture of THAT.
As soon as I get the time, it is off to Lowe's to get a sheet of acrylic cut to size.
For his next rehouse I have a tarantula-safe lid.

@Realevil1 , it wasn't really an issue, just a discussion about the fallibility of using screen for a top. The two biggest issues are the spider getting a claw stuck and hanging itself by a leg and potentially losing it, and the chewing issue.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I have only noticed this behavior with LP's. The majority of my T's are in a screen top (not mesh though). Only LP's have I seen chewing screens. All my others will just climb around.

Anyone else notice this or I am just lucky? pfft I am lucky

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my normal opportunistic burrowers dont get screens. everything else is fair game though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have only noticed this behavior with LP's. The majority of my T's are in a screen top (not mesh though). Only LP's have I seen chewing screens. All my others will just climb around.

Anyone else notice this or I am just lucky? pfft I am lucky
Just lucky.