the Pokeys have arrived!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I got a nice little shipment in today...a P regalis, and a P fasciata...beautiful little spiders.
Unpacking them, then putting them BACK in their vials, with some verm and a cork bark (okay, it's a wine cork LOL) prooved to be easier said then done!
They came OUT easily enough, it was getting them back IN that was the hard part!
The P regalis actually jumped off my hand onto the floor, and made a mad dash for freedom. The P fasciata was calmer, except when it came time to put her/him in. He/she made a mad dash up my arm, but I caught her in time...nobody's home again, and I didn't want to walk up to the school to get my daughter with an errant pokie on my back :D
So, the pic is of the P fasciata...the P reg is slightly smaller.
They are ensconced in their new digs drinking water drops from the vial side

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definitely cool...

Poecilotheria are my fav. genera, making up probably 80% of my meager collection. They'll bring you much joy. Have any others?
john

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I was not so lucky with the freedom-t's. My H.maculata sling finally made it out of captivity and is roaming somewhere around here with my P.irminia juvie. it was its fourth try in a month, and teleportation was the favored method.

note to self: ALWAYS use the bathtub for transport.

and on the note of spiderlings, anyone ever notice how frikkin insane the growth rate for usumbaras is?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Heh, yeah. My Usambara sling started out at about 1/4th of an inch (freebie from Petcenterusa.com) and is now at about 2 inches.

On the other hand, my giant white knee, which is supposed to be a fast grower, has only molted ONCE in the 3 months I've had him (It's at about a 1/2 inch now) Twice if you count the molt that was in his container when he arrived.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the new little bugs Holley! :D
Pokeys are too cute when they're little! Keep us posted on how they do.
Oh, was their any signs of agression, or are they still a bit too small for that yet? Hopefully they stay nice.:)

ATrax

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I can't speak for Holley (obviously) but I can say my 2 - 2.5 inch P. Regalis has shown zero signs of aggression....yet. I'm hoping she/he/it remains that way. I love the little guys and that'll probably lead to my first tarantula bite.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I had an adult female P. fasciata that was very calm and shy. Never showed aggression. (I still didn't have the brass to hold her though but the guy I sold her to does.)
Completely opposite of my big female P. ornata. That girl was not only aggressive, but she'd quickly advance right toward you every time! She definitely knows how to be scary! LOL!

That would be pretty cool Holley if you can raise them to be used to handling, huh?

ATrax

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
these are my only poecs, hopefully I will have lots more in the future. I also have a 3.75" female loose in my house somewhere...
I never saw any signs of aggression with her, she was just really shy and FAST
These two little ones showed no signs of aggression either, just very jumpy like my A versicolors...you just have to keep track of them!
I love a challenge, so it WOULD be nice to be able to handle them right on up to adult hood. I held an adult male P regalis at the ATS conference...he was Rosemary's. Very quick, but there was no signs of aggression with him either.
We'll see if it works out like I want it to!
Holley