The 'Pit Bull'

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
An interesting take from an Englishman dog breeder of over 80 years of experience.

"No such thing as pit bull breed. Don't kid yourself. You really think the back alley dog fight promoters of middle ages Europe were meticulous pedigree dog breeders? You really think pedigree dog breeders would allow their animals to be used in the pits? Horse manure."

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Having unintentional origins doesn't mean it hasn't become a distinct breed in the time since then. Not that it bothers me either way, I have two mutts.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
I believe in your neck of the woods (assuming you are English) what is commonly referred to as a pit bull would be called the staffordshire terrier. That is a recognized breed, yes?
On my side of the pond we have the American pit bull terrier, which I don't think is a thing. Yes they all have that dopey smile that takes up thier whole head (love that and yes, I know they're not actually smiling) but there is a lot of variation within the so called "breed" from muscle bound tanks to lean runners. I think the muscle tanks look and feel a bit unnatural, well a lot unnatural. (Just my opinion here. I don't expect everyone to agree.). But goofy, love able, clumsy, and cuddly lean pit bulls are my favorite.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
More information than you ever needed about pit bulls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull

To summarize: It's not a breed, it's a type, which means its defined by form and function, rather than pedigree. The Staffordshire terrier seems to count, as does the american pit-bull terrier, but there's a bunch of other standard breeds also.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There are no such things as pit bulls.. There are breeds crossed from Bull Mastiffs, American Bulldog and Bull Terriers breeds.

I have a rescue crossbreed. He is Bull Mastiff/Lurcher cross. He is a best friend, a gentleman. He has saved my life just as much as I have his.

Meet Milo :)...

image.jpeg