The PetSmart by my house is THE dumbest place they sell Ts…

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, my husband and I rescued a Brachypelma species from Petsmart yesterday. I’m pretty sure it is a B. emilia based on the very little coloring I could identify on this 1” max sling.

However, they could not confirm any sort of actual species to us. They only told us that it was an “Assorted Mexican spider” (and the guy helping us could barely pronounce Brachypelma, but of course acted like he knew everything about all exotic pets).

Ok, now… are you sitting down? Bc I nearly fell over dead when I read the receipt for our purchase (rescue) ofthe little one.

…GET READY! This is the exact receipt I got for purchasing a live animal at Petsmart:

35EF6C50-9A4D-48E5-8705-165172AC9E0E.jpeg

Yup. So now we have a brand new “Assorted Mexican Tarantula” I’ve added to our collection. Sure hope it IS an B. emilia, though… been wanting one for a while!!

It SURELY is a Brachypelma, though, which really is the only thing good AB the transaction - that little 1” surprise species was VERY decently price for any Brachypelma species that size, methinks.

So, we saved the day! Kinda. Either way, “Emily” is now safe and sound and cared for correctly in our care. Yippee! LOL!!

Last edited:

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I got my emilia from a petsmart.
Labeled the same way. They actually didn't have it set up too bad, though.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
So, my husband and I rescued a Brachypelma species from Petsmart yesterday. I’m pretty sure it is a B. emilia based on the very little coloring I could identify on this 1” max sling.

However, they could not confirm any sort of actual species to us. They only told us that it was a “Brachypelma spider” (and the guy helping us could barely pronounce it, but of course acted like he knew everything about all exotic pets).

Ok, now… are you sitting down? Bc I nearly fell over dead when I read the receipt for our purchase (rescue) ofthe little one.

…GET READY! This is the exact receipt I got for purchasing a live animal at

View attachment 421805

Yup. So now we have a brand new “Assorted Mexican Tarantula” I’ve added to our collection. Sure hope it IS an B. emilia, though… been wanting one for a while!!

It SURELY is a Brachypelma, though, which really is the only thing good AB the transaction - that little 1” surprise species was $35 and that’s decent price for any Brachypelma species that size, methinks.

So, we saved the day! Kinda. Either way, “Emily” is now safe and sound and cared for correctly in our care. Yippee! LOL!!
You might wanna cover your info better gabe lol

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
tbh their suppliers probably have so much cross breeding and hybridization going on that who really knows what it’s bloodlines are - in this respect “Assorted Mexican Tarantula” might be an apt description

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You might wanna cover your info better gabe lol
Lol, that’s actually my husband. I edited the pic right after posting bc I just realized… now it should not have our info on there… let me know if I need to reload Mr. Haas’ info!

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Lol, that’s actually my husband. I edited the pic right after posting bc I just realized… now it should not have our info on there… let me know if I need to reload Mr. Haas’ info!
Its the same for me still, you probably uploaded the old pic still or something.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I tried to pm you but your inbox is full.
If you look closely, you can clearly make out your personal information. Double down with the black.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
tbh their suppliers probably have so much cross breeding and hybridization that who really knows what it’s bloodlines are - in this respect “Assorted Mexican Tarantula” might be an apt description
LOL!!! You know I never thought of that. But it probably is an “assortment” of crossbred Brachypelmas…You just never really hear the word “assortment” used to describe a pet that you’re buying

I don’t intend to breed, so the assortment will stay a little less scrambled I suppose (hope)…:rolleyes:

I tried to pm you but your inbox is full.
If you look closely, you can clearly make out your personal information. Double down with the black.
Ok will do thx

Its the same for me still, you probably uploaded the old pic still or something.
I just reloaded?

I reloaded again and zoomed in, it seems all clandestine now… let me know if I’m wrong! Thx

Insecticide in the shipment may have been an option but the truth is that I had never heard of it. I read that they wanted to implement methods to prevent the passage of living organisms in shipments in my country, but they did not provide more information. I dont touch more than the essential when moving them. The rest is as I said, there has been no news of substrate or food, and I breed my feeders.
I keep loosing others ts of the shipment, a few remain alive without severe symptoms. Something alarming is that now some of my old tarantulas are starting to show the same problem, I lost a large murinus and a Nandhu the other day, and now a murinus that also just had a successful copulation is showing the same symptoms. We continue to have a stable temperature and no factor has changed in a collection that has been the same for years. the only change was this shipment that arrived... I didnt see parasites in their mouths or anywherwe.
I'm sorry I didn't answer before but the truth is that this has me quite depressed, it's a lot of impotence not understanding what is happening or how to act... Im having fear to enter in the animals room and find more deads.

I hate to bother them but I want to show the movements...

Some of the ts of the shipment with the symptoms...

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
While we can't discuss prices on the forums to an extent. I heard Petsmart and Petco over-priced their T.'s. None of them stores carries or supply tarantulas in my area, so that's a good thing for me. Because the last thing I want to see is a neglected pet from an employee with no clue what they're talking about. I personally wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. Either way, it's in better hands.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome, now i have your email and can sign up for all kinds of sweepstakes 🤣
If I start getting spam, I’m coming after u!!! Lol

While we can't discuss prices on the forums to an extent. I heard Petsmart and Petco over-priced their T.'s. None of them stores carries or supply tarantulas in my area, so that's a good thing for me. Because the last thing I want to see is a neglected pet from an employee with no clue what they're talking about. I personally wouldn't buy it, but that's just me. Either way, it's in better hands.
Oooh, sorry about adding the price, I forgot about that rule. My apologies to all! I will edit it out.

Either way, it's in better hands.
…that was my thinking as well

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
LOL!!! You know I never thought of that. But it probably is an “assortment” of crossbred Brachypelmas…You just never really hear the word “assortment” used to describe a pet that you’re buying

I don’t intend to breed, so the assortment will stay a little less scrambled I suppose (hope)…:rolleyes:

Ok will do thx

I just reloaded?

I reloaded again and zoomed in, it seems all clandestine now… let me know if I’m wrong! Thx
Yea ur good now

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
all the petsmarts do the same thing, you can get females at a great price for the size potentially

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +

However, they could not confirm any sort of actual species to us. They only told us that it was an “Assorted Mexican spider” (and the guy helping us could barely pronounce Brachypelma, but of course acted like he knew everything about all exotic pets).

…GET READY! This is the exact receipt I got for purchasing a live animal at Petsmart:

View attachment 421809

It SURELY is a Brachypelma, though, which really is the only thing good AB the transaction - that little 1” surprise species was VERY decently price for any Brachypelma species that size, methinks.

Get some tomatoes & cold cuts to celebrate.

cshouston

Arachnopeon
Tale as old as time, but is it really “rescuing” anything if they’re still making their profit and throwing a new one in the tank once you leave? There’s no shame in just buying a T that catches your eye; rationalizations not required.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Go figure I suddenly can't find them, but I have a few receipts for "assorted tarantulas" myself from both Petsmart and Petco. Lol. At least at my Petco, they try to keep an extra sticker on the display to specify which species it is, but I have had to help them properly mark the Ts. But when you make the purchase, the item number is for an assorted tarantula. I don't agree with it, but I understand their logic behind it from a business standpoint.

In my experience it's a 50/50 chance you're either overpaying or getting a great deal. I got my first mature female GBB for well under what even people on here are selling them for unsexed. She was sold as unsexed, but at roughly 5" and definitely not a mature male, I was willing to take my chances and it paid off. I also managed to find a fresh MM T. schroederi there which I'll admit I overpayed for, but that was my own stupidity and it was still a good deal considering I got him the opportunity to breed

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron

Ok will do thx

I just reloaded?

Insecticide in the shipment may have been an option but the truth is that I had never heard of it. I read that they wanted to implement methods to prevent the passage of living organisms in shipments in my country, but they did not provide more information. I dont touch more than the essential when moving them. The rest is as I said, there has been no news of substrate or food, and I breed my feeders.
I keep loosing others ts of the shipment, a few remain alive without severe symptoms. Something alarming is that now some of my old tarantulas are starting to show the same problem, I lost a large murinus and a Nandhu the other day, and now a murinus that also just had a successful copulation is showing the same symptoms. We continue to have a stable temperature and no factor has changed in a collection that has been the same for years. the only change was this shipment that arrived... I didnt see parasites in their mouths or anywherwe.
I'm sorry I didn't answer before but the truth is that this has me quite depressed, it's a lot of impotence not understanding what is happening or how to act... Im having fear to enter in the animals room and find more deads.

I hate to bother them but I want to show the movements...

Some of the ts of the shipment with the symptoms...
Sorry to hear, seems i skipped over this part of the thread. Id contact the seller if its only the ts you received from that specific shipment.

Jaycooks1

Arachnopeon
The PetNOTsmart by my house has a Brachypelma smithi in stock they have in the smallest critter keeper sold mini size. in the middle of a forty gallon desert tank with 6 bearded dragons 2 of witch were sitting on top of her critter cage. If any thing could stress out a spider i am guessing full spectrum light all day with no hide and lots of lizards for room mates. The kid at the store said they just stick the Ts wherever there is room for them.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear, seems i skipped over this part of the thread. Id contact the seller if its only the ts you received from that specific shipment.
It’s a conglomerate… I don’t think I could track down the Breeder/sellers. :confused: