The P. Dictator

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I found this link...Anyone know the language?
I'm going to say Finnish. When I copy one of the words on the web page and 'Google' it with the word 'translate' after it it comes up in the results as Finnish. :p

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to say Finnish. When I copy one of the words on the web page and 'Google' it with the word 'translate' after it it comes up in the results as Finnish. :p
Well I was close, the two countries neighbor eachother correct... We should start a petition and send it to the discovery channel network asking them to try and scoop us one some over there so that way it can be aviable in the us pet trade with minimal interference with naturally occuring populations.

Although, they may just laugh at us. LOL I would too.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found a P. dictator specimen in the lab I work in today. It was in a scorpion display case, collected in 1973...the location I forget though. About a 5 inch specimen. I'll look again tommorow. This is dead and dried for decades though, so probably not what you are looking for.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I was close, the two countries neighbor eachother correct... We should start a petition and send it to the discovery channel network asking them to try and scoop us one some over there so that way it can be aviable in the us pet trade with minimal interference with naturally occuring populations.

Although, they may just laugh at us. LOL I would too.
Wait a minute! You might be on to something! Maybe they would and you know Discovery Channel/Animal Planet, always pleasing by the demographics. I'll give it a shot and send something in about it.

lucanidae, can you take a picture or two of it? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello again;

here is a Link to a PDF that may be of interest to you, it is titled "On the Scorpions of Gabon and Neighboring Countries..." and has 32 references to P dictator in it. an excerpt "Although P. dictator has not been redescribed since its original description, the diagnostic characters of this species have been thoroughly elaborated in three papers." It list the papers, you could dig deeper and search those papers out for more info.

here is a pic of the distribution of 3 of the pandinus spp

FIGURE 13. Map ofWest Africa illustrating the known distributional ranges of Pandinus dictator (Pocock, 1888) (triangles), Pandinus gambiensis Pocock, 1899 (circles), and Pandinus imperator (C. L. Koch, 1841) (squares), based on data from Vachon (1970), Lamoral and Reynders (1975) and the present contribution.

Last edited:

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
so what is the P.Dictator ?? How is it different from P.Imperator ?

I think i'll keep my P.Imperator :p

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so what is the P.Dictator ?? How is it different from P.Imperator ?

I think i'll keep my P.Imperator :p
Goto the scorpion files and check the pic and you'll know why. P dictator is like the 8 cylinder version of the pandinus genus. If they were readily aviable than I woul definently get one... Probaly not as lame as imperator. Plus the scarcity of the species makes it especially popular.

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok so make sure i have this right. P.Dictator, is a monster right ?? while P.Imperator is the smaller cousin?

I compared pics of both and Dictator seems like a monster....

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
basically {D I've got the dictator bug too...now they should describe a new highly-cannibalistic species P. democratus {D

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found a P. dictator specimen in the lab I work in today. It was in a scorpion display case, collected in 1973...the location I forget though. About a 5 inch specimen. I'll look again tommorow. This is dead and dried for decades though, so probably not what you are looking for.
Due to the limited availability of photos, a pic of even a preserved specimen would be of some value to the boards. Give all the dictator-heads their fix.{D Detailed photos would be awesome, considering few, if any, of us have ever even seen one.
What was its size?
More, pleaze.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just asking, what are the rare species of Pandinus that everyone wants to see?
:?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i mean "what else", sorry...

:p
Well why the heck didn't you say so!!!!! :} One I want to see, I originally saw on the television. I was watching "Wild Boys" and they were in Africa, and there was what they called a "Copper Emperor Scorpion". Look like a regular one except it was a rusty brown color. It was pretty large so I don't think it was just a sub-adult emperor, plus they were with a native African and he even pointed it out as a "Copper Emperor". Stupidly one of the shows hosts pressed on his head a tad so it would sting him, it's the third time he's done that with a scorpion, once was some sort of hetermetrus and another was actually in a cave but the natives said it was an emperor, there was actually a ton of them all grouped together on a ledge in the cave not far from the opening.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well why the heck didn't you say so!!!!! :} One I want to see, I originally saw on the television. I was watching "Wild Boys" and they were in Africa, and there was what they called a "Copper Emperor Scorpion". Look like a regular one except it was a rusty brown color. It was pretty large so I don't think it was just a sub-adult emperor, plus they were with a native African and he even pointed it out as a "Copper Emperor". Stupidly one of the shows hosts pressed on his head a tad so it would sting him, it's the third time he's done that with a scorpion, once was some sort of hetermetrus and another was actually in a cave but the natives said it was an emperor, there was actually a ton of them all grouped together on a ledge in the cave not far from the opening.

Bet it was a Cav. Imperator. Copper or Red Clawed. Oh and I believe Dictators range to about 11 inches.... In other words, it's full adult form belittles all other species. (I believe, I will recheck my sources, but I am sure that is correct size).

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bet it was a Cav. Imperator. Copper or Red Clawed. Oh and I believe Dictators range to about 11 inches.... In other words, it's full adult form belittles all other species. (I believe, I will recheck my sources, but I am sure that is correct size).
i would like to see your source on P dictator's size. can you please cite it for me?