The P. Dictator

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tell ya what.. you pay for all my visas and the travel accomodations, with a long stop over in japan included and i will think about going to africa to help you get caught breaking the law
Visa LOL

Visas are no good in central Africa. All that works are bribes. I had to spend two weeks in a jail in Cameroon to learn that lesson. As for bug collecting, they won't allow you to leave the country with them, unless you give them a big bribe. The only way we have ever succeeded is by driving. By air you have no chance, unless you know someone high up or you have enough money for a bribe.

Central Africa is a whole other planet. Last year I bought a coke in Malawi that had been bottled in 1993. In most of the countries they kick your luggage out the plane and you go and search for it on the runway. Customs consists of a guy with a stamp. If you look rich they will arrest you on fake charges and force you to pay a bribe. There is no "can I make a phone call" or "I want a lawyer" in central Africa.

Soooooo....

Good luck! :)

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arietans said:
Visa LOL

Visas are no good in central Africa. All that works are bribes. I had to spend two weeks in a jail in Cameroon to learn that lesson. As for bug collecting, they won't allow you to leave the country with them, unless you give them a big bribe. The only way we have ever succeeded is by driving. By air you have no chance, unless you know someone high up or you have enough money for a bribe.

Central Africa is a whole other planet. Last year I bought a coke in Malawi that had been bottled in 1993. In most of the countries they kick your luggage out the plane and you go and search for it on the runway. Customs consists of a guy with a stamp. If you look rich they will arrest you on fake charges and force you to pay a bribe. There is no "can I make a phone call" or "I want a lawyer" in central Africa.

Soooooo....

Good luck! :)
I'm soo going now...

Mike

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is it the same for countries north of South Africa? They got spp. I want...

Mike

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Mike
These are countries north of South Africa I am talking about. Senegal, Cameroon, Nigeria, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Kenya, Nigeria, Liberia, Zambia etc.

South Africa is not in the same playing field as these countries. Many civil wars, violence etc. To go unaccompanied anywhere is a death warrant.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H. cyaneus said:

Mike
Though you are less likely to be shot (probably more likely to be carjacked),
not so long ago 3 T collectors spent a short spell in jail there trying to catch T's. Their wildlife exportation laws are extremely strict, and i hink with good reason. When H. hainanum got discovered it was weeks before they were over collected and their habitat near destroyed.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Though you are less likely to be shot (probably more likely to be carjacked),
not so long ago 3 T collectors spent a short spell in jail there trying to catch T's. Their wildlife exportation laws are extremely strict, and i hink with good reason. When H. hainanum got discovered it was weeks before they were over collected and their habitat near destroyed.
Thanks for that. Laws here regarding exportation are extremely strict. You will go to jail if caught.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry about the whole carjacking coment, ever since i watched that one carte blanche South African roads have never been the same to me (i was 10)

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry about the whole carjacking coment, ever since i watched that one carte blanche South African roads have never been the same to me (i was 10)
No sweat mate. It doesn't help you dance around the truth. My country is rife with crime, but only the really big cities.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a shame, i used to love my trips there during the summer holidays, such a beautiful place, the change in atmosphere was instant as you got messina, Enjoyed the bush much more than Zim

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I enjoy the bush more than anything else.

I've spent most of my life in it. :) There I have no fear, none whatsoever.

I fear people. Animals don't have ulterior motives. There is always a reason why it wants to kill you. People are different. People can smile and stab you in the back at the same time.

Besides, I'd rather be killed by a croc than rot in a hospital.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah, if you choose to go, you must be one adventurous guy. Id love to see it all, but i think its far too risky for a nonnative to be caught slinking around in the bush. Id have to have a large contigent of armed guards.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you go often enough you get used to it. But to try and catch something and leave with it the first outing there......... methinks it won't happen :)

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think the continent is a very beautiful place and has many wonderful people, but im a bit fearful due to all the illnesses and strife going around now. ill just have to sit it out and wait for some of those species to appear on the market.:(

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i believe some one form this board once said that he bought one which got mixed identity in a group of emp or some special shiment or something .. hmm,.. let me hit the search function ...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like animals better to, there is no double standards or hidden agenda's in them. You see poor underfed little african children on TV, so you deposit money on the account, and.......YES, you happen to finance another private war for some idiot with 60 palaces keeping dictator......
Africa will stay this way (poor,underfed, diseases and torn by civil wars) for another couple of decades at least...::wall:

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the people in power would stop with there genetalia measuring contest, and see how beautiful their countries are, and how much they have to offer the world things will change so much!

As for diseases, you have been innoculated for most when you were a baby. Advantages of a First world country. :)

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also, I used to go there quite often. Those people may be starving, but there are more good people than bad. People that go out of their way to show you how proud they are of their country. People that try to make the bad look better be smiling when they greet you.

There are good people there.

One of my best friends, Benji, lives in Ghana. You would be hard pressed to find a better man.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SO... Check this out! This could be the plan to retrieve the P. Dictator...

Option A. Becoming a celebirty and hire some body guards and say its one of those "I need to get away trips."

Option B. Fly into Northern Africa, Cairo in Egypt. This way we can avoid some if not most of the corrupt goverments. Take Dune Buggies With plenty of gas around the parimeter of Africa... This will take several days! We will set up camp and have 2 men on guard every night... They sleep on the way their (who ever was up). We will eventually make it to the large inlet cover looking area of africa. This is also where the only region of tropical rain forest is left there. Now We head inward, in complete stealth (also we are armed to the teeth). Search for the P. Dictator. Now we take a boat directly off the shore of our location, a helicopter will come on the Atlantic to pick us up once we are a safe distance off the shore of Africa (2-3 miles). It is also probly best done in night fall as well... (only travel by night).