The only problem with tarantulas is...

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I only have one problem with tarantulas. That's the fact that I don't have enough money to buy 5 of every species that I want! This problem is also compounded by my addiction. It's a medical problem known as multispider dependency syndrome. Anyone else have the same problem and suffer from this illness?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah man, I feel you...I hate buying a sling at a time, I always end up returning for more lol. I've only not done this with the really expensive spp. or other Ts that I already have an abundance of in my collection. The least I get is usually 3 slings at a time for any given species.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Yeah man, I feel you...I hate buying a sling at a time, I always end up returning for more lol. I've only not done this with the really expensive spp. or other Ts that I already have an abundance of in my collection. The least I get is usually 3 slings at a time for any given species.
I normally buy hetween 2 and 5 myself. Haha
I usually buy between two and give myself. Sometimes more depending on species. And then it's like I instantly need more.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I hate not having enough room to keep as many as I want to. Some day I'll have an invert room... mark my words. I keep telling myself I need to wait til then to start a breeding project, but I'm getting antsy to do that already :rolleyes:

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I hate not having enough room to keep as many as I want to. Some day I'll have an invert room... mark my words. I keep telling myself I need to wait til then to start a breeding project, but I'm getting antsy to do that already :rolleyes:
I feel the same way sometimes. My new apartment doesn't have the space. In my old place the spiders had their own room

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I feel the same way sometimes. My new apartment doesn't have the space. In my old place the spiders had their own room

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't suffer from that. If I like a particular T I buy 1 sexed female. The privilege of owning that one lass is more than enough.

I then keep my eyes open for another T.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I don't suffer from that. If I like a particular T I buy 1 sexed female. The privilege of owning that one lass is more than enough.

I then keep my eyes open for another T.
I prefer to buy them as slings. So I need to buy more for more chances at females

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I made the conscious decision to only buy slings and on top of that, only buy ONE of every species that I want. Now if one turns out to be male, I'll either buy a female and try to breed or if it's a hard to breed species or I can't find a female I'm going to loan a male in return for a sling. Hopefully even if I end up with males I'll get to keep the genetics of all that I've owned and continue them down the line. I don't know if it'll truly work but this is what I doing, haha. That way I'm not killing space and money. I'm actually running out of space already with only 7 and I can't wait to move out and be able to have an cave to decorate with my Ts. Haha.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I made the conscious decision to only buy slings and on top of that, only buy ONE of every species that I want. Now if one turns out to be male, I'll either buy a female and try to breed or if it's a hard to breed species or I can't find a female I'm going to loan a male in return for a sling. Hopefully even if I end up with males I'll get to keep the genetics of all that I've owned and continue them down the line. I don't know if it'll truly work but this is what I doing, haha. That way I'm not killing space and money. I'm actually running out of space already with only 7 and I can't wait to move out and be able to have an cave to decorate with my Ts. Haha.
I thought about stopping at seven, and again thirty later, and again forty later

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I thought about stopping at seven, and again thirty later, and again forty later
I've got a list of about nine more that I already want but haha, just don't have the room like that. I live in a rough place where cost of housing is HIGH and wages are LOW.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I thought this was going to be an interactive 'finish the sentence' dealie -- I clicked to read all the cute responses.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I prefer to buy them as slings. So I need to buy more for more chances at females
Then I can understand you're predicament.

Chances are if I bought 7 unsexed slings I'd end up with 7 males.
I seem to be pretty lucky in that regard, most of the slings I've purchased have turned out to be female, (3 out of the 4 unsexed juvies I've purchased turned out to be female as well).

I generally only buy slings if I can't get sexed females (or if sexed females are ludicrously expensive) but still only one at a time (the only species I have 2 of is C. versicolor, 1 I've raised from a sling and 1 I purchased as an unsexed juvie which turned out to be female), if a sling turns out to be male then I'm not too fussed as I figure it means that I have experience with the species and can decide if I want a replacement after I sell him on to a breeder.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I've got a list of about nine more that I already want but haha, just don't have the room like that. I live in a rough place where cost of housing is HIGH and wages are LOW.
I'm originally from NYC. Born in Toronto and raised part of my life there. Lived in Seattle, San Francisco, and Oakland. I left all of those places due to gentrification. I can feel your pain

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Im considering a big move, id love a change of pace and scenery. Gotta finish some things up here though, unfortunately.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
Im considering a big move, id love a change of pace and scenery. Gotta finish some things up here though, unfortunately.
I'm doing the same. I'm surrounded by lots of tiny closed minds in this town. It's run by a bunch of wealthy elderly people who go out of their way to "keep Chicago out" even at the expense of the town dying. It's definitely time for a move

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
The only problem I have is not being able to buy cheap containers for slings here. It is so ridiculous it hurts. Clear containers that have the potential of an enclosure go from 10$ up. moronic.