The OFFICIAL YouTube thread for tarantula care and husbandry channels

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Jon3800 and Toms big spiders are two I like. A lot of the big you tubers go for some kinda gimmick to get more views. Robc plays with ow t’s like a daredevil and the deadly tarantula girl goes for views with her thumbnail pic alone.

To even question robc or dtg’s husbandry defeats the purpose of their channels. They are purely entertainment and click bait.
This is what repels me from watching her vids right from the start. I want to see spiders, not her in a bellydance outfit with fake lashes so long she needs to look at the ceiling for us to actually SEE her eyes. I don't understand why she presents herself like that. From what I've gathered she's a really nice person, but people won't know that because she has the appearance of a hareem-girl and appears to care more for how she looks than for giving info and care advice.
Edit:
RobC makes me nervous, being all bouncy and jittery around OW spiders.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
This is what repels me from watching her vids right from the start. I want to see spiders, not her in a bellydance outfit with fake lashes so long she needs to look at the ceiling for us to actually SEE her eyes. I don't understand why she presents herself like that. From what I've gathered she's a really nice person, but people won't know that because she has the appearance of a hareem-girl and appears to care more for how she looks than for giving info and care advice.
Edit:
RobC makes me nervous, being all bouncy and jittery around OW spiders.
What bothers me about DTG is that I pretty sure she is a teacher and her students follow her channel...

ETHER

Arachnopeon
What bothers me about DTG is that I pretty sure she is a teacher and her students follow her channel...
yea, same things bug me about her channel, even paisley drifted from T videos to her putting on make up or something and talking while going to the super market, lolololol tbh... its whatever ill stick with Petko and Tom :D

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
I don't understand why deadly tarantula girl even got the idea to create tarantula videos. The only plausible reason I could come up with is that she likes attention (for her looks and for her breeding business). Though, I do believe she likes keeping tarantulas I don't think she actually likes keeping them well cared for. My evidence, She kept a P.muticus in maybe 3-4" of substrate. That is disgraceful, I don't even keep it that low for my NW terrestrials that I full well know will most likely never burrow (it is there just in case). I also find she keeps her tarantulas (some) in containers that are way too small for them. Aside from husbandry related issues I find she also has issues with keeping her channel on topic. You see, when I go on youtube for a tarantula video I want to see tarantulas not belly dancing with almost no clothes, shirts that barely fit (I believe this is on purpose), and caked on makeup for an obvious grab at male attention. I don't like to be one that goes at people for how they dress so long as it is for their own gratification, if that is the case more power to you. The issue I have is she completely derails her channel by oversexualising herself, blatantly. By this I mean the she seems to wear shirts that her breasts basically pop out of and then on top of it have the camera usually panning down at an angle to optimize viewing of them.
Though, none of this compares to her self righteous attitude. I have seen multiple videos from her where a viewer has called her out and her common go to "save" is something along the lines of "you see this one here, I have kept her like this for over x # of years. This proves I am caring for it right." That doesn't at all prove anything. I have noticed that tarantulas are very hardy creatures, I might get backlash for saying this, but even avics I find are very hardy. They can handle differences in substrate depth, temperature, humidity etc but that doesn't mean it is recommended to keep them at ridiculous environmental standards. She needs to remember that just because an animal is able to survive under certain conditions doesn't mean it is thriving there as well.
In terms of choosing tarantulas as her pet of choice, I believe it is for money. They are easy to care for, relatively cheap to maintain, most readily breed in captivity and offspring can be sold for extremely inflated prices. This leads me to believe that this is why she is even in the hobby in the first place. Really if you ask me, I think she should just leave tarantulas alone and get into stripping. She would probably be happier, and her animals would be much happier in the hands of people who can give proper care to these wonderful creatures.
I'm not even going into the topic of her pushing males into females during some pairings.....
Sorry for the long rant but she really gets under my skin for these reasons. Mind you I am not just a mindless hater for the sake of hating. If she woke up tomorrow and changed these aspects of her channel and gave proper information I would probably watch her videos.
BTW favorite youtuber is between Tom Moran and Jon3800

Last edited:

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
I read through the thread but didn't see these YouTubers mentioned:

Annitya's Abnormal Animals: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEDM3lQiW0Fe53RsCogAPdg
Eeriearachnids: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvLwcjrfI-BNjC3HAEbijCQ
Pure Exotic: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZufaGb1mbfQ0Wzpdp6Ozg
Project Tarantula: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQJTa-FT7U1BpFqo77GaG8Q
Tarantupedia: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdj3SNN_kTv_DAI1F9I7VdQ
World of Spiders: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9sHiI8qV4nrt0GT-Pz20aw

Tarantupedia and World of Spiders show Theraphosids in situ and I think that's neat to see.

Jeroshi

Arachnopeon
I'm a die hard fan of Petko from The Dark Den. His videos were a huge help to me when I first started the hobby. He's got a one of a kind personality that makes his videos that much more enjoyable to watch. He may not have the collection that some do but he knows how to keep his followers happy with what he's got. I honestly look forward to Mondays now because I know The Dark Den will never disappoint!!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tom Moran is my favourite. One of the few I watch without getting frustrated over husbandry or ethics.

cold blood

Staff member
Aww thanks friend, <3 :kiss: yeah i know i haven`t been here like forev. Life has been a s..t to me the last couple of month`s.
Sorry to hear that...hope things turn around for you...hope the kids and parents are doing well, too. You are missed by us all my dear.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Sorry to hear that...hope things turn around for you...hope the kids and parents are doing well, too. You are missed by us all my dear.
Yeah but it is better. My kids are all good. My parents i dont talk to anymore. They turned against me since we lost our son when i was 8 months pregnant 1st of November. Witch is also the reason i have been away. The worst thing ever in my life. But it really means a lot to me that i have been missed of all of you. I have really missed you all as well. But my mood have been a rollercoaster. And still is sometimes. It takes time to get over this. But it helps to talk with people. I learned that life can really turn out the wrong way.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah but it is better. My kids are all good. My parents i dont talk to anymore. They turned against me since we lost our son when i was 8 months pregnant 1st of November. Witch is also the reason i have been away. The worst thing ever in my life. But it really means a lot to me that i have been missed of all of you. I have really missed you all as well. But my mood have been a rollercoaster. And still is sometimes. It takes time to get over this. But it helps to talk with people. I learned that life can really turn out the wrong way.
Ah no, I'm so sorry sweety, that must be so hard! :(
Of course your mood isn't stable, who could be after such a terrible loss. Thank you for sharing this. Best of wishes going your way!

TurtleMonkey

Arachnopeon
Hello, I hope this is the correct place to post this. My daughter and I really enjoy nature and decided to create a YouTube channel showing off some of our adventures and critters. Here is a list of our pets, minus our cat Nibbler. (https://goo.gl/nkrU7d)

When it is nice out, we go on walks/hikes through the many local parks and share what we see and experience with anyone interested in watching. If you have time, please check us out and let us know what you think. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqXr5Km26aHtyTY9UBaOpOg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Always fun to see little kids on a nature adventure.

You might consider putting in species names of the spiders you make videos of. Many of us here will recognize species, but all youtube viewers will. Not a big deal, just an observation.

TurtleMonkey

Arachnopeon
Always fun to see little kids on a nature adventure.

You might consider putting in species names of the spiders you make videos of. Many of us here will recognize species, but all youtube viewers will. Not a big deal, just an observation.
I thought I did, I must of missed one. Thank you for the advice!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Moderator note: I consolidated the various threads where members shared links to their own tarantula-related YouTube channels. Carry on!