The not-so-docile G. pulchra

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi everyone! :D

I get so jealous when I hear everyone talking about how docile the G.pulchra is! When I was a noob, almost two years ago, I drove myself crazy over getting one of these gorgeous, nice-nice Ts!

Guess I wasn't as lucky as I thought I would be! Ever since he was a sling, my pulchra, Mellon, has been skittish, slightly defensive, and just plain old mean.
Usually, I see his crazy behavior when I open his KK to pour some water into his bowl. When I do, he rushes over to it and sticks himself into the bowl while the water is pouring, then puts up defensive postures when the water touches him, he doesn't even try to move away!
Then when I need to do cage maintenance, I use my tweezers to pick out the boluses, and he runs over and starts basically "hugging" them!
First I though he was all bark and no bite, but today he actually struck at the tweezers tonight, three times! :eek:

It's really funny to have a crazy G. pulchra, but still kind of disappointing that it's not the stereotypical "most docile beginner T." :(

I took a video of his antics, though it's not the greatest representation. But it's something! :D
And I sound like a little boy here. :8o

[YOUTUBE]1mf0KZ3pTDI[/YOUTUBE]

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Probably thinks the movement from the tongs are a potential meal. Also in the video it seems very docile to me.

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It does seems that way, but he didn't take any food today, nor did he take any last week, or the week before that. He's not hungry right now, this is how he always is. :)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
You have a a beautiful T, though. Anyways, don't worry about your voice. When I was a few years younger, people in real-life mistook me for a girl >_> .

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I used to think they were defensive when they acted this way. They are actually more territorial than anything. Although he did bite the tongs, he probably won't even try it if you remove him from the cage and do it again. I had two Ts that did this and were pussy cats when I took them out of their territory. He might actually be a big meany, all I am saying is that this just might be his territorial side.

That being said, I don't trust Grammostolas, lol. And I don't recommend handling "docile" Ts or any T for that matter.

P.S

You sound like a girl to me!

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Acts like mine, and i don't think the abdomen in the air means any thing, mine sticks is 45-80 degrees up from where it normally is when it walks on my arm or hand.

It even walks like that in its cage.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If he hasn't been eating, he could be in premolt and that may be why he is acting the way he is. But from the video he seemed docile to me.

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Yeah he is acting almost just like my rosea in that video. And I consider her to be quite docile......for the most part. However she has been known to throw up a threat display or two and even kicked hair at me once. So I see where your coming from lol

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi everyone! :D

I get so jealous when I hear everyone talking about how docile the G.pulchra is! When I was a noob, almost two years ago, I drove myself crazy over getting one of these gorgeous, nice-nice Ts!

Guess I wasn't as lucky as I thought I would be! Ever since he was a sling, my pulchra, Mellon, has been skittish, slightly defensive, and just plain old mean.
Usually, I see his crazy behavior when I open his KK to pour some water into his bowl. When I do, he rushes over to it and sticks himself into the bowl while the water is pouring, then puts up defensive postures when the water touches him, he doesn't even try to move away!
Then when I need to do cage maintenance, I use my tweezers to pick out the boluses, and he runs over and starts basically "hugging" them!
First I though he was all bark and no bite, but today he actually struck at the tweezers tonight, three times! :eek:

It's really funny to have a crazy G. pulchra, but still kind of disappointing that it's not the stereotypical "most docile beginner T." :
Typical behavior.
They are prey for many other creatures at that size and need to be very wary.
No matter how carefully I try to open the enclosures of my G pulchra they tend to get spooked.
The behavior yours is exhibiting with the filing of the water dish and the movement of the forceps is predatory. It is merely investigating the probability of a meal. Usually when mine make a dash for the water dish to attack the drops of water I drop in a roach and it is immediately snatched up.
Keep in mind you are invading its territory, its home. In a small enclosure like that they will claim the entire space as personal. Mine are quite defensive initially, then calm down when they are removed.

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Wow that is exactly how my little girl acts on both parts, water and twezzers. I don't think she is agressive, cause I have seen aggressive (defensive) Ts. I have always contributed the behavior to curiosity, but since I don't know for sure I don't pick her up. Have had her for about six months and I have never touched her. Sad since that is why I got her, but I have since done enough reading on these boards that picking up Ts is no longer an option for me anyways. Glad to have though. Yours looks healthy and happy. Probably happier that you leave her alone.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the other posts. When I open its cage, mine comes out from its hide to see what's going on - I attributed this mild territoriality to curiosity. If it was in a defensive pose, it would be standing upright with front legs raised in the air and fangs displayed.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine has never struck the tongs, but apart from that, it seems just like my little fella! He is my little teddybear though, because compared to some of the others, he's an absolute delight!

arachnofreak95

Arachnopeon
I think that with all docile tarantulas there are still individuals that are very defensive. I actually have a B. albopilosum that will throw up a threat display and charge if i put my tongs in its enclosure, and this isn't feeding behavior this is a full on threat display. Actually the other day it jumped vertically and bit the tongs :D so I don't think you have too much to worry about with your tarantula, it looks like its just inspecting what is happening in its enclosure to me lol

Caramell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Guess then I don't know what docile really is! {D He's one of my favorites, I would never give him up!
I would love to get an OBT! Just the parents don't want anymore, 8 Ts is enough... not to me! ;)