The next time someone tries to tell you...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That a T doesn't need a water dish, show'em this pic :)

This is my freshly moulted female B. emilia juvenile "really getting in there" as she rehydrates herself after the moult:

Attachments

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
That a T doesn't need a water dish, show'em this pic :)

This is my freshly moulted female B. emilia juvenile "really getting in there" as she rehydrates herself after the moult:
How big is that spider? The advice you usually see is that you should not put down a water dish if the T is under 3 inches. They claim that the T can't physically drink from a dish until it gets that big. Is that valid advice - why or why not?

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: The next time someone tries to tell you...

Originally posted by Tranz
How big is that spider? The advice you usually see is that you should not put down a water dish if the T is under 3 inches. They claim that the T can't physically drink from a dish until it gets that big. Is that valid advice - why or why not?
my feeling is that they can drink, but I worry about them drowning in a large water dish even though they weigh so little I doubt they would break the surface tension of the water, so I do not use a water dish until the legspan of the t is at least larger than the water dish I am using.
Ed

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Re: The next time someone tries to tell you...

Originally posted by Tranz
She's somewhere in the 2.25 to 2.5 inch range, the water "bowl" is just a 2 liter bottle cap. She was using this before the moult when she was just at 2 inches.

That whole 3" thing is a load of malarky although Atavus' advice is good - don't give them a water bowl greater in diameter than their leg span. My rule of thumb is that once they're out of the sling vial, they get a bottle cap in case they want to use it. Not all do, but it's there just in case.

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: The next time someone tries to tell you...

Originally posted by Code Monkey
She's somewhere in the 2.25 to 2.5 inch range, the water "bowl" is just a 2 liter bottle cap. She was using this before the moult when she was just at 2 inches.

That whole 3" thing is a load of malarky although Atavus' advice is good - don't give them a water bowl greater in diameter than their leg span. My rule of thumb is that once they're out of the sling vial, they get a bottle cap in case they want to use it. Not all do, but it's there just in case.
I've noticed that most bottle caps have sharp edges or ridges. Does that ever cause a problem?

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

awsome pic, my a.avic always goes in the water! it is really cool! And about the bottle cap, the sharp edges dont cause a problem, i use a gaterade cap, and it is fine! my 1" smithi i just mist, as well as my 2 curlies at 3/4", i am waiting untill they hit 2" or 2.5" before they get a KK and a cap!

James

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Oh my what a thirsty little spider ! Thats so cute. Pet stores have told me I need to put a sponge in my spiders dish, but I dont think this is true. They said the Tarantula couldnt suck up the water without the sponge. Mine are doing fine without a sponge. and if you ask me, a sponge would be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria ! I clean my taratulas dishes out, to get rid of the slime build up, and give them fresh water.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The sponge idea come from the ignorant belief that tarantulas suck their food/drink through their fangs. Since that isn't even remotely true, I suspect that not only is the sponge idea a breeding ground for foulness, but also can actually prevent the T from getting anything to drink if there isn't sufficient open water. Ts drink water out of a bowl just like a dog (minus the tongue part :)).

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spider_savior
Oh my what a thirsty little spider ! Thats so cute. Pet stores have told me I need to put a sponge in my spiders dish, but I dont think this is true. They said the Tarantula couldnt suck up the water without the sponge. Mine are doing fine without a sponge. and if you ask me, a sponge would be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria ! I clean my taratulas dishes out, to get rid of the slime build up, and give them fresh water.
except for a few display enclosures I have switched over to condiment cups ranging from 3/4 oz. up to 5.25 oz. for water dishes, if they get dirty I just toss em and put in a new one. they are very cheap and saves lots of time.......my herps still have reptile style "rock" bowls that get cleaned weekly.
Ed

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Drinking

Same here,:) I encountered my Green Bottle Blue the other day sitting inside the waterdish drinking in the same way like in the picture CM posted above.
Same with my bigger Versicolor, when I spray in the corner where s/he has the web and waterdrips forms and pour down into the web one can see how the Versicolor turns around sometimes and goes for the drips on the cage wall and drink them up.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've noticed that the male Usambara drinks an enormous amount of water, but I have yet to see the female do anything but fill up the water dish with dirt.

My B. smithi and my T. blondi both spend time in their water dishes around a molt.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
my female pterror does the same thing (fills up the waterdish with dirt).

my a. genic is a water lover, and my b. boehmei will sometimes find herself drinking from the "rock o' water" i've put in her set up. my slings haven't had the opportunity to drink from a 2-liter lid, as they have plenty of water in the substrate to drink from.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have seen a variety of spider habits... some of them prefer to drink the droplets off the side of the cage after a misting... some like water dishes... some even seem to prefer to drink off the hairs of their legs!

I think the sponge is a controversial topic. If it is kept clean and is changed regularly it harbors no more bacteria than the water dish itself.

While a tarantula does not need the sponge to drink, I feel that sponges help keep humidity levels up (much like the wick inside a humidifier) I think its all a matter of personal preference and opinion.