The Name That Avicularia Game

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Got the first one pictured as 'A. urticans' and the second as 'A. hirsuta' (yes, avic). The 'urticans' is about 6.5" and the 'hirsuta' is about 4" or so.

I'm thinking maybe braunshauseni (or, let's face it, could be a regular avic) for the 'urticans' and I suspect the 'hirsuta' may actually be the urticans. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i do believe the second one is just a poorly colored A. avic....
just my novice opinion:)

i've seen a couple lately w/o the pretty blues and greens i like in my A. avic....

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the 1st one doesnt look bright enough to be an urticans... maybe a. avic or what about a.purpurea?

also, like devildoll, it's just my novice opinion.

kellygirl

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, they're certainly not both the same species... The second Avic is very brown (I've never seen a solid brown A. avic) with long reddish hairs on legs III & IV. The ceph has a slightly greyish sheen, as do the femoral hairs.

The first one really is HUGE and extremely blue. The pic doesn't show that too well. It's easily as blue as my A. metallica (but about 20% bigger). I suppose it could be a 'giant' A. avic, but it just seems more electric and longer-haired.

b

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I've NO idea, but neither one looks like my mature female A urticans. She is a milk chocolate color uniformly, with pink toes.
Can't tell on the braunshauseni, since mine is still a 1.5" sling