The Name Game

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
ArachnoPETS?

Well, the name of this site, and my view towards keeping a tarantula or 200, leaves me to want to name mine. It is a pet, after all. Unless you view it as a science study or a business(which I guess there are a few people that frequent these boards that do) I can't see how you wouldn't want to name em.

As for Gender specific names, screw it. just take a guess, you've got a 50/50 chance, right? And it isn't like having a female's name is going to cause your male emotional trauma when you figure it out. Just pick something you can convert at a later date, if you don't know. I named my B. smithi Victoria, because she's moody, wears black, and doesn't do much. (Just like my mom, boy was she pissed :p) I figure she can become a Victor if I'm wrong.

By the way, rookie.. I beleive the word Peso is generally assigned a male prefix to it in speech. I could be wrong though, isn't there a spanish teacher around here?

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A name can be there for any number of reasons. The most common reason is the animal actually reacts to that name. My dog and my ferrets are all named and they know their names (well, not so sure how well the younger ferret grasps hers yet, but in time...). Other than that practical reason, the main reason a pet gets a name is it provides a personal connection in your mind to that animal. As such, the only time I bother naming an invert is when a name suggests itself to my mind for whatever the reason. So, 2 Ts out of 17 are named, others may get named in the future, they might not. It's not as though they'll mind or be confused and I'm not going to hand out names just for the sake of naming them.