Species Theraphosa blondi

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Keef said:
Alright Terri, I'm a little confused. The advice that is frequently given out here when misting for example is "beware and not mist around the abdomin since that's where the book lungs are". Here's your girl, booklungs clearly submerged...for six hours!!!!! Am I missing something?
Yes, I think you have missed something! I've never heard that phrase before, the only concern with the book lungs is that very fine sand or dust in improper substrate could potentially clog them. And, separately, I personally do NOT mist any enclosures as mold, fungus, phorid flies, etc., just LOVE moist environs. In moisture dependant species, such as blondi, I DO keep the substrate quite moist by puring waer down the corner and letting it wet the soil, but I also keep roly-poly bugs in with her to munch on all of the little nasties that could grow in there.

Ts are covered not only with setae, but a fine coating of a waxy-like substance that keeps a layer of air around them should they happen to fall in water. It seems that in the wild, they spend more time in the water than we previously thought. Since we are now just seeing this behavior in captivity, I wonder if they DO sometimes soak for days on end prior to a molt.

Now, I have to go out and BUY a mister.... misting IS beneficial to red-tail boas!:eek:

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well heres the same blondi a year and a half later :)

king7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah,its all over inside her hide to.ive only ever seen it with my blondi do you think it could be for defensive purposes while they are moulting? eg. an animal sticks its nose in and still get a load of hairs?

ive already got a male ive just been waiting for her to moult :)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah I know Avicularia spp. coat their webs with them as a defensive measure and I am sure the blondi was doing the same.. I was just amazed at the amount of hair that was piled in there!! thats a nasty pocket of pain and itchiness right there! lol Great spider and congrats on the molt.. I look forward to seeing her all recovered and perhaps some breeding shots in the near future ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow gorgeous and massive! Very nice, I like the hide, mind taking an overall picture of it?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man alive! you need to measure her rear. Hope you get a nice sack

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
t blondi

Hello
very impresive, best of luck with her.

Do you by any chance have a pic of the male?
Did you mated her?
was she a WC specimen?

Mine is fat but not as much as yours,she is wc what are the chances or probabilities of her to be gravid???

Last time she ate was 4 days ago, she ate a small mouse.
regards
ft

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Anyone for tennis..?!! ;P {D

You're gonna be a proud poppa mannnnny times over - congrats!

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That really is an incredible pic. Please keep us posted on how many slings she produces. Good luck.