The monster surfaced!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The big S. h. castaneiceps finally came out tonight after several months of being under the sub. Looks real healthy and clean. Here it is eating a male Blaptica dubia roach. I'm think I'm going to post some comparison pics of this one next to some other S. h. c.'s later. Such a big difference.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it's just me but on the first pic, it looks like it has the two last tergites pretty black while the rest looks lighter... Would that make it a Sc.Heros Heros instead? Maybe it's just me, hehe.

phil.

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe it's just me but on the first pic, it looks like it has the two last tergites pretty black while the rest looks lighter... Would that make it a Sc.Heros Heros instead? Maybe it's just me, hehe.

phil.

You know, I never noticed that in the other pics of this beast. You might be right with that!

nickbachman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
By the way, this exact pede is my favorite pede of all time. a real american monster.:clap:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This pede is a little freaky looking. When I had some S. h. castaneiceps have babies last year, I noticed that the last 2 tergites of all the babies were darker than the rest. The rest of the tergites darkened up soon after. All the S. h. cs I have were caught here where I live, except the ones with light colored legs. I found those a couple 100 miles west of here. Anyway, S. h. heros starts to pop up many miles west of here in a little different terrain. I don't know but I don't think this pede has much to do with S. h. h. more than any other S. h. c. S. h. h. isn't a native pede around here. My hunch is that the older some S. h. cs get, they can fade and the darkness of the last two tergites can start to show up more. I have another S. h. c. that looks pretty old to me. I can see that the last two tergites are a little darker on that one too. I didn't pick it up very well with my camera but you can still tell. What I'm really hoping for is some babies from this big pede! That would give us a better idea of what's going on. It'd be awesome if it turned out to be some kind of ssp, ...and a baby!, haha. I'm keeping an open mind but I'm thinking it's just a big ole S. h. c. I'm not going to try to breed it with any other pede hoping that it has already, and there's always a chance it's a male. But it's so big and stocky that my guess would have to be "female".

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the last two body segments are known as the sexual segments so there could be some underlying reason for the color difference.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dude!

you have a two foot centipede!

check out the last leg before the terminator on the centipedes right hand side!

keep watch on that, my two footer turned into a three footer on molt, and i believe he actually has molted again and has four feet, but i am not positive

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OMG! They get that big! (Sorry, I know nothing about pedes) :eek:

I love spideys, but have never learned how to appreciate the pedes...

Nice pics!

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
keep watch on that, my two footer turned into a three footer on molt, and i believe he actually has molted again and has four feet, but i am not positive
realy? 3-4 feet? omg! i thought they got around 1 foot...but 3 feet!!!! got any pics? coz it sounds like the biggest centipede in the world!:eek:

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HAHAHAHA thaty was funny.. yeah I noticed that extra foot coming out of the last leg there. thatd very interesting that yours has added one on with each molt Cacoseraph. Polydactyl Pedes lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
HAAAA! I thought about twisting your statement like that earlier but never did it. I was going to say,... she's not that big...haha:rolleyes: She's had the little extra foot there since I found her about 2 years ago. She's molted once in 2 years. She's the mrs. famous pede in your handling thread. You didn't recognize her:( , ha, just kiddin. The little foot looked like it got a little longer but not by much after the molt. I remember the pic of the multifooted leg on that pede you have, pretty crazy.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the biggest centipedes are about 12"-15" right?. IMO an 8" centipede is big enough for me.....thats if i can find one. :D

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gala, I'm fall in love of this monster since I have seen it long time ago. What is it? a mutation? a despigmentation? or did you washed it with lye?
Seriously now, is an amazing pede and very very uncommon one. Feel yourselve a looky man, with this pretty girl.

Cheers
Carles