The method which catches S.mutilans

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ss. mutilans "yellow leg"

Ss. mutilans "yellow leg" (WC)

you can also see a "red leg" individual in left corner!
as Galapoheros said, worth a try i guess.. anyway, good luck!

-locke

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:eek: That's a lot of centipedes! The one on the left looks like it has red legs. Is that a different kind? That pic is making me hungry. Going to get something to eat, maybe noodles. Oh, just saw your red leg PS.

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: That's a lot of centipedes! The one on the left looks like it has red legs. Is that a different kind? That pic is making me hungry. Going to get something to eat, maybe noodles. Oh, just saw your red leg PS.
same species but different coloration. mostly two colorations for Ss. mutilans. "yellow leg" and "red leg".. hehe~ sorry it made you so hungry!

-locke

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have seen these called "apex predator pit traps" as if multiple predators fall into the same pit trap you might end up with just the apex predator.

you bury the jar "right side up" so that the top is just about flush with the ground level. if you live in a rainy type of area you might want to make the top a little higher than ground level so that water doesn't flow into it.

you can use large plastic jars and cut various slots and holes in the top and leave the top on. this would reduce the number of vertebrates that can easily ruin the trap. if you put the cuts on the side you can also keep water out.

if you are going to make more than 3-4 traps i would suggest either using little red flags to mark their location or drawing a map and taking pics, as you don't want to lose track of a trap and leave a "death pit trap" to randomly kill whatever falls into it and can't get out.

these traps will catch centipedes, lizards, scorpions, very small snakes, possibly some true spiders, beetles... basically anything that crawls or slithers along the ground and can't climb smooth surfaces.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i so see all the neighborhood animals tearing apart my pede trap...no way that would work out here for many reasons...one being a dumpster diving racoon that would be all over that!

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have seen these called "apex predator pit traps" as if multiple predators fall into the same pit trap you might end up with just the apex predator.

you bury the jar "right side up" so that the top is just about flush with the ground level. if you live in a rainy type of area you might want to make the top a little higher than ground level so that water doesn't flow into it.

you can use large plastic jars and cut various slots and holes in the top and leave the top on. this would reduce the number of vertebrates that can easily ruin the trap. if you put the cuts on the side you can also keep water out.

if you are going to make more than 3-4 traps i would suggest either using little red flags to mark their location or drawing a map and taking pics, as you don't want to lose track of a trap and leave a "death pit trap" to randomly kill whatever falls into it and can't get out.

these traps will catch centipedes, lizards, scorpions, very small snakes, possibly some true spiders, beetles... basically anything that crawls or slithers along the ground and can't climb smooth surfaces.
hey, caco. thanks for your concern. sounds good.
"you might end up with just the apex predator"
your expression is very impressive. :clap:
i agree with your advice. have a nice day, andrew! see ya!
-locke

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well thats similar to a way my stepdad said they sued to catch s. heros castaniceps. they put a coffee can in the ground and placed a flat rock over the top of it where they knew pedes were and when it went to go under the flat rock its falls in the can