The Malaysian Trapdoor Spider ( Liphitius desultor )

magicianANG

Arachnopeon
Hello Everybody! I am posting a photo of a Malaysian Trapdoor Spider which is very closely related to tarantulas. Can anyone help me to identify whether it is a male or a female. This is a wild caught specimen of 6cm leg-span.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think people in the true spider forum will be able to help on this one ;). also, most likely they'll need a picture of the underside to determine the spider's sex.

magicianANG

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the tip.

Hello Alice! Thank you for the tip. I will try to photograph the underside of the spider for sex identification purposes.

Warmest regards.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I talked to Botar about these spiders and apparrently allthe ones that are imported are female.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You may have misunderstood me on that one... I said I've yet to see a mature male... I have no idea if they are immature males or all females. Sorry.

Botar

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Males of these would have enlarged palpi just like other spiders?

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man, I want one that is all black. I've seen a few pictures scattered amongst the intra-webs... but how/where do I get one in Canada.... D=<

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You may have misunderstood me on that one... I said I've yet to see a mature male... I have no idea if they are immature males or all females. Sorry.

Botar

Oh...OK. Sorry about that.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of the Liphistius we acquired from Botar has recently matured into a male. I'm going to attempt mating them in mid-August. Sorry, no pictures until then.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
One of the Liphistius we acquired from Botar has recently matured into a male. I'm going to attempt mating them in mid-August. Sorry, no pictures until then.
Do you know for sure that they mature on the ultimate molt?

Did his body length/leg length ratio change or did he just get the enlarged palpi?

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You lucky dog!!! :D

I guess I phrased that wrong anyway. Of course, they mature on the ultimate molt!!! :8o

Is he an L. malayanus, or L. murphyorum?

Last edited:

magicianANG

Arachnopeon
Hello there! Finally I'm back. Here is a photo of a MALE L. desultor. It moulted recently and this is the ultimate moult and it is ready for mating anytime now.

And here are two more photos of the Malaysian trapdoor spider.

This black one is a male specimen.

Greetings from Malaysia. I'll be posting photos of our trapdoor hunting trip soon.

Brent H.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just a clarification, Mesothelae spiders (like Liphistius) are not closely related to tarantulas. In fact, a tarantula is far more closely related to a jumping spider or black widow (or any araneomorph spider for that matter) than it is to a mesothele.

keqwow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
look at that red!!!

Man that red spider with the separations on the rear....what a cool looking spider!! Would be awesome to see those in the trade here in the U.S. I could forsee a big demand for those....:drool: