The magnificent O. aureotibialis.

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
What an eventful time.
During these moments, the cricket evaded 2 lunges and a scuffle (HOWEVER, looking at it frame by frame, the T did NOT pounce until the cricket actually slipped and FELL. it was the cricket bouncing off the mound on the way down that the spider perceived was its chance but gravity was already carrying the cricket away from that location. so turns out, its not his fault haaaaha).

During the few moments he goes behind the hill, it is chasing its prey, and with a flurry of motion is back in its hole empty mouthed. It retreated into the burrow, and started the lurking over from the beginning with another slow ascent one movement at a time - at the end of the second build up (almost another 10 minutes), the cricket was successfully caught which can be seen in video I shared before this one.

I'm in love.

Having completed sharing the exciting bits, I'll give y'all a break on the magnificent O. aureotibialis until it molts or something unusual happens haha.

View attachment IMG_2659.mp4

Last edited:

Scp682

Arachnoknight
What a gorgeous T, not one I would feel comfortable owning. I'll stick to my NW Pet Rocks ;)
Cyrios are so worth it you're missing out.

<Edit> by cyrios i mean anything in the ornithoctoninae subfamily.

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cyrios are so worth it you're missing out.

<Edit> by cyrios i mean anything in the ornithoctoninae subfamily.
In my situation, getting an OW would be irresponsible. I share the household with others, one being fairly phobic. The last thing I need is an escapee with a medically significant bite. NWs, particularly of the genus Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola and Tliltocatl are much, MUCH less likely to run off during feeding or maintenance. And I love their many qualities (Beautiful colors on most, almost always visible and much, MUCH longer lifespan (Females) than a great majority of NWs and most OWs) which makes them the perfect group for a collection, for me anyways. I still get to keep Ts, better those than none, right ? ;)

MontePython

Arachnosquire
Oh gorgeous! Mine is still in the 1-2cm range, so I've got some waiting to do before I get to see much in the way of fringe, but after having the species recommended to me when I starting having a bit more interest in Asian fossorials, I took the plunge, and even though I don't see them too much, it's always nice when I do, even at the tiniest of sizes.

That said, mine also decided to live in a clump of sphagnum for a solid week after arriving, but after a moult, decided it was time for a proper burrow. Can't wait till mine gets to a more photogenic size!

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Oh gorgeous! Mine is still in the 1-2cm range, so I've got some waiting to do before I get to see much in the way of fringe, but after having the species recommended to me when I starting having a bit more interest in Asian fossorials, I took the plunge, and even though I don't see them too much, it's always nice when I do, even at the tiniest of sizes.

That said, mine also decided to live in a clump of sphagnum for a solid week after arriving, but after a moult, decided it was time for a proper burrow. Can't wait till mine gets to a more photogenic size!
So tiny! This guy musta sat at the shop for a while cuz it was already 2.25” (~5.7cm) which made the price they had it at the best I’ve seen!

I made it three starter burrows in the corners, it chose one and filled in the bottom windows but the lurking is very clear towards the top, so I get to see the whole body all the time!! This is my favorite T so far : ).

Scp682

Arachnoknight
In my situation, getting an OW would be irresponsible. I share the household with others, one being fairly phobic. The last thing I need is an escapee with a medically significant bite. NWs, particularly of the genus Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Grammostola and Tliltocatl are much, MUCH less likely to run off during feeding or maintenance. And I love their many qualities (Beautiful colors on most, almost always visible and much, MUCH longer lifespan (Females) than a great majority of NWs and most OWs) which makes them the perfect group for a collection, for me anyways. I still get to keep Ts, better those than none, right ? ;)
That's a good reason, I'm not meaning to encourage something you don't want to do, just if you do get the chance if you get your own place and you're comfortable definetly get one

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Too early to sex IMO, but enjoy to share a ventral (even if to just have organized into this spiders thread). It’ll be fun, even after a molt or three, to return to these early ventrals once I’m certain of sex to compare.

plus, it’s reeeally hard to get the light and focus on this guy cuz there’s a tiiiiny bit of silk placed on the window to the burrow.
7E54768A-0EAD-4AD7-80A9-B749E3ACC814.jpeg

ArborealLotus

Arachnosquire
Thought I’d share an update on the magnificent O aureotibialis. Rehoused into an 8x8x12 today, measure in very closed to 3.25” DLS, is simply divine!!

42F40F8F-767E-48CE-88BC-EAD392D8BBD1.jpeg
4AA1C844-521F-4C9D-917A-C55F15418E7B.jpeg

And lucky me, it climbed the wall to get a couple solid ventral shots! Might be too young to tell yet though.

E460E487-2808-4704-8583-E68F9256226B.jpeg
235001E6-61E7-42EA-BB1E-8C41792BA7D4.jpeg