The longest tarantula pre-moult you ever experienced.

jay5597

Arachnopeon
Ladies and gentleman

Hello! I am pretty new into keeping tarantula. My Tliltocatl albopilosus Is in her pre-moult and bury herself for almost 3 months now. But I saw her move sometime. So, I think that she is doing fine. But that is not the point.

The point is that:
This experience makes me curious about the length of the tarantula pre-moult period.

Therefore, I would like to ask:
What is the longest tarantula pre-moult you ever experienced?

Thank you

cold blood

Staff member
The longest for a sling was B. albiceps at 8 months.....longest for an adult was a G. porteri at 13 months.

mellow

Arachnobaron
All the tarantulas I have have molted after a couple weeks of premolt, but some of my scorpions have been in premot for about a year now, or maybe they are just super chubby for some reason. Lol 😁

Eimericus

Arachnopeon
For some reason, my P. regalis went into premolt for three months. When she emerged, she almost doubled in size.

jay5597

Arachnopeon
The longest for a sling was B. albiceps at 8 months.....longest for an adult was a G. porteri at 13 months.
A year and a month! That is mind blowing!

Grammostola porteri adult female - 10 months.
I heard that the genus Grammostola are slow glowing. Seems like pre-moult are much longer for those slow glower.

All the tarantulas I have have molted after a couple weeks of premolt, but some of my scorpions have been in premot for about a year now, or maybe they are just super chubby for some reason. Lol 😁
Interesting! Scorpions take that long too.

For some reason, my P. regalis went into premolt for three months. When she emerged, she almost doubled in size.
Double in sizes! Impressive

Last edited by a moderator:

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
my ±3inch brachypelma emilia refused food and burrowed herself 7 months ago, she now has a dark abdomen, maybe she molts soon. (in another 6 months)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What is the longest tarantula pre-moult you ever experienced?
I had an elderly female Avicularia avicularia that fasted for 13.1 months before molting successfully.

My current adult female Avicularia avicularia fasted for 9.6 months as a juvenile.

Does their age affect the length of the pre-moult as well?
Older tarantulas generally have longer molt cycles, including pre-molt.