The Living Desert-Palm Desert, CA

RTTB

Arachnoprince
If you are ever in Palm Springs, about 20 minutes away is The Living Desert Zoo in Palm Desert. They specialize in desert animals from all over the world. Yes there are some bugs and arachnids. Small and quaint with beautiful natural gardens and flora. Check it out. Closed during the Summer though due to the intense heat.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you are ever in Palm Springs, about 20 minutes away is The Living Desert Zoo in Palm Desert. They specialize in desert animals from all over the world. Yes there are some bugs and arachnids. Small and quaint with beautiful natural gardens and flora. Check it out. Closed during the Summer though due to the intense heat.
No pics? (Not that i would go there, but just curious :D)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Oh it's been a few years since I have gone so no pics. I'm sure their website will help give one an idea of what it's like.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Growl. Surrounded by SEVEN golf courses, an unsustainable pseudo ecosystem tourist trap endeavoring to teach environmental science to those rich enough to waste their time in the Palm Springs area.

Feel free to correct me if things have changed from the time I considered pissing on their sign.

PS The golf courses in the environs of Palm Springs consume more potable water than the City of Los Angeles with Hollywood tossed in. If the water those courses consume in a year could be put into aerial water drops we could control the top 10 worst forest fires in the entire country during any given year within a half hour.

Last edited:

RTTB

Arachnoprince
No nothing has changed. That's Palm Springs and the surrounding area in a nutshell. The bigger surrounding area is the vast desert it sits in in which I do most of my black lighting for scorpions. Didn't discover this on my own but I owe it all to Mr Polis and the field study he did out there for years. Most of his research was from sites out in this area which I'm fortunate enough to live 45 minutes from.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Well I can't comment much on critters except I saw a couple of sidewinders but I once walked from DHS to 29 Palms during the full moon. 3 1/2 nights walkabout getting in shape for fire season. Anyone into serious hiking should give that desert at night a try for a life altering experience. As Exupery said, Wind Sand and Stars, and a whole lot of rocks.