The least desireable species...

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
And mostly because there's many other species much more interesting. Do you want to progress beyond the beginner phase?
you didn't say that? The majority of keepers are content to keep one rosea or smithi, and they find those "beginner" species plenty interesting. In fact, i seem to recall you saying how there's nothing wrong with beginner species in another thread. Now it's a problem?

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 12:39 PM ----------

Homo sapiens
I've seen many desirable specimens of that species...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
you didn't say that? The majority of keepers are content to keep one rosea or smithi, and they find those "beginner" species plenty interesting.
That's because they have no idea of what else is out there. They see a rosea in their local pet store, give it a cute name, and that's their interest in spiders. If you're looking to those people to recommend an interesting tarantula species, they're not going to come up with much.

When I refer to 'beginner species', I'm thinking relatively calm, docile ones like Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, not rosea, which are prone to mood swings. If there is a 'problem', it's only in your mind.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
No, it's not because they have no idea - some people just are content with x animal. Period. And there's no issue with that. Not everyone who gets a rosea gets eventually gets an H mac, just as not everyone who gets a corn snake ends up getting a cobra.

when *you* make some wide sweeping comment that someone's taste or criteria of "interesting" not matching yours is tantamount to "not progressing", the problem isn't with the other person. The problem is you assuming everyone wants to be in the hobby as deep as you are. Most never will go beyond a spider or two, and that's fine. Same as some people will only own those "beginner phase" animals that may or may not be "interesting" to you, pending on the thread, and again, that's fine.

there's no core criteria of "interesting" aside from personal preference. End of story.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
g rosea are soooooo boring. they never eat and they never molt. Do not get one , get a LP.
I think you're thinking of G.porteri. Nice, red rosies may be as close to a pet rock but don't tell me mine's boring. That color (imho) can compete against most new-'n-blue -species any day.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
when *you* make some wide sweeping comment that someone's taste or criteria of "interesting" not matching yours is tantamount to "not progressing", the problem isn't with the other person. The problem is you assuming everyone wants to be in the hobby as deep as you are. Most never will go beyond a spider or two, and that's fine. Same as some people will only own those "beginner phase" animals that may or may not be "interesting" to you, pending on the thread, and again, that's fine.

there's no core criteria of "interesting" aside from personal preference. End of story.

Well, I guess you have spoken from Mount Olympus. How can mere mortals question that?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm thinking relatively calm, docile ones like Brachypelma and Aphonopelma, not rosea, which are prone to mood swings.
The Aphonopelma seemanni sounds very appealing right now to me. Been googling, will search these boards for more info. I want one.
(No, not to replace rosie -- she's my first and special one) but this one sounds amazing to me. Never heard of it before (or perhaps did hear/read the name but didn't know what it was). Those stripes are so pretty!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Aphonopelma seemanni sounds very appealing right now to me. Been googling, will search these boards for more info. I want one.
(No, not to replace rosie -- she's my first and special one) but this one sounds amazing to me. Never heard of it before (or perhaps did hear/read the name but didn't know what it was). Those stripes are so pretty!
Check out Aphonopelma moderatum.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Check out Aphonopelma moderatum.
Oh, pretty - like the lighter colors -- the google images are amazing.
I guess it was the stripes of the A seemanni that grabbed me -- it reminded me of a skeleton leg or something.
Is this one more docile or are they equal for care and beginner-ness?
(Actually, now I sorta want one of each)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, pretty - like the lighter colors -- the google images are amazing.
I guess it was the stripes of the A seemanni that grabbed me -- it reminded me of a skeleton leg or something.
Is this one more docile or are they equal for care and beginner-ness?
(Actually, now I sorta want one of each)
Are you talking about the Aphonopelmas? E.murinus is an intermediate species.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Aphono paloma is a species i will be getting after i finish up gathering the not so spineless wonders I'm looking for. Small, feisty and beautiful.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bottom line, least desirable: Big, brown tarantulas with bad urticating hairs.
Hey... What did theraphosa ever do to you?!
Haha kidding, the reasons why I find theraphosa sp. Interesting at all is their immense size and good appetite. Other than that, they are overly sensitive and their bristles are miserable. Still, I don't think any tarantula is "undesirable" to me, as I appreciate them all for their biology and adaptations like G. Roseas ability to last months without food or that Psalmo-toxin (or whatever it's called) in psalmopoeus venom. I find spiders extremely interesting, and just because one is boring doesn't mean I don't want it. Except for an OBT at the moment. I find them super cool but I know I would end up in a bad situation. One day though...

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Are you talking about the Aphonopelmas? E.murinus is an intermediate species.
No -- the white leg striping on the A seemanni "reminded me of a skeleton leg or something" not that I would get the E murinus. Sorry for the confusion -- this is why Poec54 hates common names I guess. But if you look at leg pix of the two, surely you'll see the similarity I was referring to.
Or, perhaps I need stronger glasses. lol

---------- Post added 02-10-2015 at 07:00 PM ----------

:laugh:
I prefer bicoloratum personally...its the one "WOW" Aphonopelma for me.
Okay -- cut it out now! I can't afford all of them!

Sana

Arachnoprince
It's interesting to me that most rosea and porteri are pet rocks. The G. porteri that I have never seems to be in the same place twice. Each time I look in on her, she's moved to a different spot or odd position. She's also recently chosen a hide and redecorated it the suit her taste. Of the two options I offered her, one above ground and the other a starter burrow, she surprised me again and chose the burrow. She's much more active that quite a few of my other species.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's interesting to me that most rosea and porteri are pet rocks. The G. porteri that I have never seems to be in the same place twice. Each time I look in on her, she's moved to a different spot or odd position. She's also recently chosen a hide and redecorated it the suit her taste. Of the two options I offered her, one above ground and the other a starter burrow, she surprised me again and chose the burrow. She's much more active that quite a few of my other species.
The majority of individuals tend to be pet rocks.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
True. My G rosea is fairly active, and since I gave her the ping pong ball she seems to "play" a lot. She is rarely in the same place if you check on her. But when I first got her, she was more of a pet rock then. Lately, she is psycho/pre-molt or something, and doesn't even like her water dish refilled. I used to open whole enclosure lid to refill dish -- I would have a couple paper towels to dry out old water and then refill with fresh -- hand in tank -- no concerns. But lately I am using oral syringe to refill it at a slight distance, due to her threat postures. I think her abdomen looks darker and it is definitely plump, so probably just pre-molt (which could be 6 months away for this breed). She's definitely fasting right now, which again, means nothing. lol
Mine's substrate is deep enough if she wanted to dig her own burrow. But I am glad she out in the open so I can enjoy her more.