The least desireable species...

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can understand not liking a rosie because they aren't the best looking spider but mine is the craziest T ever, she thinks shes a OBT and is always doing something. Most active T I have. Even though I can buy wild caught adults all day for $10.00 I payed $25.00 for a CB sling, maybe the sling will be better tempered then my adult.

snoflax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Absolutely any Poecilotheria, I dont know why but they creep me out. I am also not fond of OBTs.
As far as all this dislike with G.rosea, my rosie is anything but boring! she has alot of personality. She is a bit aggressive at times, always ready with the threat pose if she doesnt like something. She gets pissy at times, if a drop of water gets on her substrate she throws fits. Definately not the pet rock type that so many on here seem to be running into.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not to fond of the smaller species (I like my T's BIG over 8") however I dont "dislike" them at all and if I were offered one I would take it. I cant really think of any T that I downright dislike. They are all unique. Take G.rosea for example, they are very easy to keep, get to a decent size (not big enough for me, however I still own one), are cheap,and are readily available. Also, P.murinus though seemingly over aggressive and way to common to be considered a prized species still have their unique and favorable qualities such as being colorful and -very- easy to keep. All I'm trying to say is that there are no species that I dislike, they all have their unique and favorable qualities.

Pandora

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't like Accanthoscurria, Brachypelma and Lasiodora (except albopilosum, emilia, klaasi and chacoana.) though I have a few ones each of these, but they all aren't my really favorite spiders.

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Guys who say pokies, bet ya never had one. :p

They creeped me out to, or intimidated me.. don't even ask where I am at now with them :wall:

as for the spider I least desire, hands down G rosea

r4iney

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
H. lividum and P.murinus - too aggressive and venomous for me. I prefer a tarantula that doesn't go beserk if you look at it funny :(

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would probably say dwarf species too. I like tarantulas on medium to larger size. Iwas going to say rosehair, but the red phase is really cool. Color wise, I would say the stout leg baboon is the most unattractive, but its extra hairy legs make up for the color.

Last edited:

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Members of the genuses: Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola don't appeal to me whatsoever.

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would take any tarantula I could. I would have to say though the ones I would be least likly to want would be more G. rosea.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmmm

I would say the only T i would not want is one of the geneticaly, radiologically, or chemically alterd ones seen in the B movies.
OBT is one i dont want to be bitten by lol of course i dont want any of them to bite me.
I have a seemani and love her, she just now started to burrow tho but i see her a lot. I just got a gimp legged G.rosea and it is pretty cool, maybe on valium tho. not sure if its a he or she yet but it dosent seem to mind being handled. it has one leg that was missing and is growing back will post pics soon

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Most terrestrials

With the exception of T Blondi and a couple of other Giant species. I don't
mind aggression but not nutzo like OBTs

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since there are so many species out there I came to this conclusion:

monochromatic = undesireable to me:(

polychromatic = desirable to me:)

I love all tarantulas even the less desireable ones.:D

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I also don't like G.Rosea, besides their looks the one I owned was a pet rock.

David DeVries

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arboreals at this point. The only reasons I can say are inexperience and lack of confidence on my part. I hear people talk about the slings being sensitive and dying easily and some of them sound more venemous. (Not to mention the story I read here about the regalis that ran up the persons arm and nestled in the persons armpit under the shirt sleeve!) I love the colors and shapes. For now I will admire them and live vicariously through those of you who share your photos and stories. Maybe someday... For now I will treasure my Brachys, Grammastolas, and the odd Pamphobeteous or three.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. Metallica. They are just so boring and dull looking ;)

But honestly I think B. Smithi, I think that since its the hobby classic it kind of draws me away from it. I like small if they are colorful or if they are dull looking nice and big.

JCola

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't think that this has been said, but out of the few t's i've had experience with, i'm least fond of my L. parahybana sling (which i originally bought because i thought it would be pretty active). i'm pretty sure it's not in premolt, cause it still eats, but it's such a scaredy-t, and it doesn't move much. it's even afraid of tiny crickets and it's about 3/4in. my chaco and curlyhair slings do so much more.

my conlusion, i like them all, but i'm less attracted to the t's that do less.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
probably Xenesthis sp. or P. Metallica. They are too pretty (kidding). I haven't seen anything yet that I don't like, however, I don't like super aggressive (defensive, blah-blah-blah) ones. My OBT and my H. Lividum can be a little too pissy at times and the hot (not hottest, but hot) venom they possess is a negative too.

Fille

Arachnopeon
T. blondi for sure.IMHO the most ugly T to ever walk the face of the earth. Other than that anything hairy with eight legs is more than welcome.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JCola said:
i don't think that this has been said, but out of the few t's i've had experience with, i'm least fond of my L. parahybana sling (which i originally bought because i thought it would be pretty active). i'm pretty sure it's not in premolt, cause it still eats, but it's such a scaredy-t, and it doesn't move much. it's even afraid of tiny crickets and it's about 3/4in. my chaco and curlyhair slings do so much more.

my conlusion, i like them all, but i'm less attracted to the t's that do less.
reminds me of my A purpurea....

G. Rosea, the commoness and being the staple of the hobby makes it unnapealing to me.