The least desireable species...

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I'm getting three of those above (C.c.) this week! :) I'm really looking forward to those beautiful freaks!
We already have three and looking forward to the pitter patter of a lot of eight legged little ones. Handsome T's. :rolleyes:

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Probably Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Lasiodoras, Aphonopelmas and Acanthoscurrias... and so on.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Freddie said:
Probably Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, Lasiodoras, Aphonopelmas and Acanthoscurrias... and so on.
Hmmm, Have you folks tried hamsters or something ?
I don't have a major dislike of my old H. minax "Evil". It had just a soon eat one of your fingers as it had a cricket. You just seldom see it. :( Great looking T when it does make an appearance. :)

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I like them all, but my least favorites are those species with relatively small chelicera compared to body size and/or leggy T's.....yeah I know that sounds strange. An example would be C. or D. fasciatum. I love Aphonopelmas!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
jezzy607 said:
I like them all, but my least favorites are those species with relatively small chelicera compared to body size and/or leggy T's.....yeah I know that sounds strange. An example would be C. or D. fasciatum. I love Aphonopelmas!

you should look into getting a purse-web myglamorph spider

Atypidae. They have special over-sized chelicerae to bite through their web-tube house. They are BURLY looking

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me too! despite the fact that small T's dont really really appeal to me, I would still like to own all the species of animals as possible. And that includes T's

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not really a fan of Nhandu, Aphonopelma, Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, Lasiorides etc.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not a Haplopelma fan. I only keep 1, the almost obligatory H. lividum that I've raised from sling.

I wouldn't mind having a nice H. schmidti, but slings are way overpriced and I avoid anything WC.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
I'm not a Haplopelma fan. I only keep 1, the almost obligatory H. lividum that I've raised from sling.

I wouldn't mind having a nice H. schmidti, but slings are way overpriced and I avoid anything WC.
They seem to be pricey here in Europe too. The last ones I had were £60 for 10 big slings (3rd or 4th instar) and that was cheap.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think that all tarantulas (and scorps.), are amazing and beautiful...and while there are some that have characteristics that appeal to me more than others, I don't think there is one that I wouldn't like to have.

rwfoss

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm going to be very careful about mentioning what I don't like. I have a tendency to end up with them! Wasn't crazy about G. rosea, but that ended up being our first tarantula because I let my wife pick it out. (I love that little spider, though. She is pretty cool.)

I said I would never get a Pokey either, put I ended up purchasing a small P. regalis this weekend. I used to find them ugly, but as with most things, I just need to learn more about them to appreciate them.

I think the only tarantula I would not want in my collection is one that remained out of sight most of the time. I am buying them to look at them, watch them, study them, etc. Even the "pet rock" G. rosea stays out in the open for me!

Rick

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
rwfoss said:
I said I would never get a Pokey either, put I ended up purchasing a small P. regalis this weekend. I used to find them ugly, but as with most things, I just need to learn more about them to appreciate them.

Oh, I'd love to have a few! (When I'm more used to the thaught of their poison). I love the pics where they just sit nice with their legs stretched out! :)

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
At this point in time I'd NOT want to have a Nhandu chromatus. It just looks too spooky! I find it extremely ugly in one way, extremely intreaguing and fascinating in another though! That bright carpace is just freaking me out and I don't know why! For some reason I feel an internal shiver when I look at that T. But sure as "down below" I'll have to have one in time :D ... again: "in time!" For now though the freaky factor has me completely in it's grip. ;)
I did find them ugly, at first, all the colors clashed, the leg striping didn't seem to go with the rest of the T. . .but after looking at a pic for awhile I felt sorry for the poor little gaudy thing. . .I ended up buying one. It quickly became a favorite. :)

It's amazing how a T you weren't sure of at first grows on you. :D

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Dwarf species. Don't know why, but none of them interest me. And I'm NOT a "my-t-is-bigger-than-your-t" hobbyist!

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
MizM said:
Dwarf species. Don't know why, but none of them interest me. And I'm NOT a "my-t-is-bigger-than-your-t" hobbyist!
I guess the thing is that they all are dwarfs when they start, most often when we get them. Some of them will stay dwarfs an awfully long time, so why dwarfify your collection even more... With other words, I understand you :D

cryptly:
Yeah, I think that's what happening to me also... that looking/getting used to thing. But I hope it will still be a while before I see more pictures because I'm now at the end of what I consider a healthy ammount of T's (space wise, without putting up more shelves). Well... as if that is going to discurage me in the end... :D

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since I am 'arboreals only' only guy, I should have to say any terestrial. But I might get into some terestrials later (I don't have room for those now), but only asian species, maybe african. So least desirable species to me are new world terestrials. Oh yeah, and I don't keep Tapinauchenius spp. from arboreals, don't like those too much.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:( seems like G rosea is not a particularly poular spp... i cant undastand this as my first t was a G rosea... She is EASILY the most unperdictable and aggressive spider in my collection... (Ephebopus C, Theraphosa b, Theraphosa a, Heteroscodra m, Stromatopelma C, Cithariscius c..et al)
She is great, quite often wen u touch her shel turn around and stick her legs in the air, i can just stroke the whole of the leg and she just stands there, almost to be enjoying it:)
I just find them amusing.
Though the colours of mine are a little drab:/
...shes great {D
My rosie will turn and strike at the first poke like lightning, a few times trying to strike twice quicker than your mind can deal with.
Ps: my blue-fang will dribble venom ofits wide spread fangs (he does a walking kinda motion with them....its REALLY amazin to see how annoyed it becomes off 1 poke)
But now having wote this, iv realized... there arent any t's i dont like or wudnt have :razz: