The Joy of Slings (and a red flashlight)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm having so much fun watching my slings at night with an inexpensive red flashlight that I wanted to mention it here, in case some of you might like to try the same thing. It's especially fun on feeding nights, but you really get a sense of their activity level and see behavior that you just don't see during the day. They can't see the red light at all, so to them it's perfectly dark and they act naturally. It works on adults too.

I'd imagine that any red light would work. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5PCTPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could probably get some red cellophane and mod a regular flashlight to accomplish the same thing.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I need to get one of these for Flash, my little pulchra. She bolts from regular light.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I have a head lamp with a red light setting that is really useful because i can still use my hands.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I've done that for years now lol. I spend a ridiculousle amount of time in my t room in the dark with my red head lamp on. I usually drink tea and relax while watching them. It's also the best time to catch a glimpse of the Ts you never see with the lights on. Like the pet holes or the poec that always stays in it log.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I'm having so much fun watching my slings at night with an inexpensive red flashlight that I wanted to mention it here, in case some of you might like to try the same thing. It's especially fun on feeding nights, but you really get a sense of their activity level and see behavior that you just don't see during the day. They can't see the red light at all, so to them it's perfectly dark and they act naturally. It works on adults too.

I'd imagine that any red light would work. This is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5PCTPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could probably get some red cellophane and mod a regular flashlight to accomplish the same thing.
That's cool to know. My son is very much looking forward to helping look after my l.parahybana and observing its behaviour. He is also 12 and stays up late on weekends so will give him something to do.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I love using my flashlight and want to expand on some room lighting in red. I currently have a desk lamp with red bulb for feeding.

If you order a red flashlight on Amazon read the reviews carefully. I bought a piece of junk flash light that quit working within a month and had to order a second one. Some of them have funky modes with blinking and other junk that makes them less usable too.

I have been using a few of these since last October. I guess all of them have a few duds.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4PEWC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, if you like the flashlight and use it a lot I recommend that you go ahead and get a rechargeable battery system active. Your wallet will thank you. I went through several batteries before I switched.

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
You can make your own red flash light using red plastic wrap or tape. Works quite well actually.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't bother with a red light, but my flashlights are my best friends in the t room. I spend more monthly on AAA batteries than all other expenses t related.