The Infamous "Clear Liquid" Question

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Long Legs, my 3-inch(?) psalmopoeus reduncus got a rehouse yesterday, and it went flawlessly. No bolting, no defensiveness, just smooth, slow movements out of his old burrow onto a branch in the new enclosure, which he promptly climbed up so he could tuck himself into this corner. 10 minutes later, I look over and see this, as pictured. Now, I know this clear liquid isn't unusual for t's, whether it's spit, water they regurgitated, vomit, hemolymph, whatever, I've never really cared before. The pool by his mouth I didn't think anything of. But what was so weird was the second pooling near his abdomen that looked like it was originating from a joint between one of the coxa and the sternum. I literally watched this pool grow for a solid 15 minutes and it definitely wasn't connected to the pool by his mouth, which steadily grew as well. He was brand new to this enclosure so I know it wasn't water that was already there. So, now, this has me exceedingly curious. What is this stuff really??? Stress puking the bile from his meal the night before? Peed his pants? Somehow overextended his leg when I moved him? TOTALLY A COINCIDENCE and he was just thirsty? I grabbed a small bit with a cotton swab through the air hole, and it doesn't seem to smell (Yes. Yes, I am that weirdo, don't judge me.)

Just a disclaimer, I'm not worried about him at all. After that initial shock, he went about exploring and picked a spot to start webbing what I just know is going to be an impressive, dirt-filled funnel, so he's fine. This is purely out of curiosity and to see if anyone has managed to figure out what these little globules actually are.
IMG_2598.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
What is this stuff really??? Stress puking the bile from his meal the night before? Peed his pants? Somehow overextended his leg when I moved him?
I naturally lean towards option 3. But likely grooming fluids. I had this happen with an H. pulchripes, but only from
the mouth. Not a real confidence booster, at least for me, when your T feels the need to clean itself after interacting with you.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I naturally lean towards option 3. But likely grooming fluids. I had this happen with an H. pulchripes, but only from
the mouth. Not a real confidence booster, at least for me, when your T feels the need to clean itself after interacting with you.
I guess that's the hint you need to take a shower. According to the tarantula the Axe body spray ain't cuttin' it anymore.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I used to work near a guy that would smoother that stuff on after every smoke break (~every 10-15 minutes). Moderation was not his strong suit. 😷😵

I recently rehoused the H. pulchripes that ‘oozed’ last rehouse and was curious if it would happen again during this rehouse, but it did not.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's digestive fluid, they use it for grooming because it breaks down any crap that accumulates on the tarantula's exoskeleton without damaging the exoskeleton itself.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
It's digestive fluid, they use it for grooming because it breaks down any crap that accumulates on the tarantula's exoskeleton without damaging the exoskeleton itself.
Which makes complete sense. He didn't actually do any grooming with it, but the idea that he secreted it totally threw me
Bahahaha I mean I guess I too salivate when I'm uncomfortable?
I guess that's the hint you need to take a shower. According to the tarantula the Axe body spray ain't cuttin' it anymore.
*GASP* No, not the Axe
Like... marking his territory?? lol I guess I did reuse some wood from another t enclosure, maybe he could sense the other t's essence in there. That would be an interesting behavioral observation.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Which makes complete sense. He didn't actually do any grooming with it, but the idea that he secreted it totally threw me

Bahahaha I mean I guess I too salivate when I'm uncomfortable?

*GASP* No, not the Axe

Like... marking his territory?? lol I guess I did reuse some wood from another t enclosure, maybe he could sense the other t's essence in there. That would be an interesting behavioral observation.
No might be Polo