The importance of keeping accurate records.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was a bit too careless on my records last month and so I mistakenly pulled this eggsac a too soon. I planned on selling off this species once I acquired the breeding data, but since I potentially screwed this eggsac up, they'll be staying around for a while. Worst part is I'm typically meticulous with my records. I must have been working late, distracted, or just temporarily stupid.
End result: To be determined. Typically I don't do so well with eggs. If they make it to the post embryo stage I'm confident we'll be good. Getting to that next step seems to be where I have been struggling when I pull the eggsacs early and so that is the reason that I typically wait until they're post embryos before I pull eggsacs.

(Sericopelma sp. "rubronitens")

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Newbie question. What's the harm in pulling an eggsac too soon? I would think you'd want to take it away from mom as soon as possible so she won't eat it.

Tom

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have confidence that you will be fine. After having a couple dud sacks the past few months,I started pulling them after 2 weeks,and incubating. We have had zero issues with this method.We just pulled the sack,put the eggs in the incubator,regulated temp and humidity,and forgot about them for a couple of weeks. When last checked,they were first instar.All you can really do now is sit and wait.We hope everything works out for you.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Newbie question. What's the harm in pulling an eggsac too soon? I would think you'd want to take it away from mom as soon as possible so she won't eat it.

Tom
If you don't keep conditions as needed, the eggs won't "hatch" to the eggs with legs or post embryo stage. Most pull there eggsacs a bit later. Some pull them early (5-10 days) and watch them develop the whole way. Others pull them after a month and have 1st instars in many cases. I prefer to pull at about 3 weeks or so in order to have them at the post embryo stage. When we pulled earlier than that our failure rate was much higher.

I have confidence that you will be fine. After having a couple dud sacks the past few months,I started pulling them after 2 weeks,and incubating. We have had zero issues with this method.We just pulled the sack,put the eggs in the incubator,regulated temp and humidity,and forgot about them for a couple of weeks. When last checked,they were first instar.All you can really do now is sit and wait.We hope everything works out for you.
So far we have had little success with incubating eggs. If I were to tell you the species we tested it on you'd probably think we were crazy. For us it seems we have best success to pull them at post embryos or later. I'm sure we could figure out what we were doing wrong if we wanted to dink around with humidity levels, but the moms are good at what they do and pulling them after 20 days or so works best for us.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go ahead and tell me what sp it is!!!! We are all still constantly leaning,and this info could help someone else out down the road.Trust me,I will not think you are crazy at all.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go ahead and tell me what sp it is!!!! We are all still constantly leaning,and this info could help someone else out down the road.Trust me,I will not think you are crazy at all.
There were multiple species we tested multiple incubation methods with. The biggest let down was when I wanted to see the development of Theraphosa stirmi from egg to 2nd instar. After seeing two eggsacs each with more than 125 eggs develop and never make it to the post embryo stage I decided I didn't want to mess with the eggs anymore. You could see them in there, but they never made it. I decided to start pulling them a bit later. Some are bulletproof (OBT, H. mac, etc) so I still pull them at 5 days or so. I'm to the point now where I'll let the moms get them through what seems to be the difficult stage for us. Then I'll take them when the work is minimal. I now pull the T. stirmi at 35 days or so and it has been working well for us.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Every time I leave the sack with the female,something happens to it( eaten,mold,too dry,etc)It is driving me crazy..What type of incubator do you use?...The thread tilte also reminded me that I need to update my records as well,as they are......lacking.....lol

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
If you don't keep conditions as needed, the eggs won't "hatch" to the eggs with legs or post embryo stage. Most pull there eggsacs a bit later. Some pull them early (5-10 days) and watch them develop the whole way. Others pull them after a month and have 1st instars in many cases. I prefer to pull at about 3 weeks or so in order to have them at the post embryo stage. When we pulled earlier than that our failure rate was much higher.
Thanks Jmugleston. I remember watching a Robc video where his female P. metallica ate her eggs, but obviously its best to leave the eggs with her for at least a while.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck with the eggs!This species is rarely captive bred.Honestly the only person I know who even has CB them is Tom(Philth) on the forum.
-Chris

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I try to take pictures of any significant events like sacs or ultimate molts and even if it's not very good or interesting still provides a dated record.

Bill

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I try to take pictures of any significant events like sacs or ultimate molts and even if it's not very good or interesting still provides a dated record.

Bill
I typically photograph everything as well, but in this case I wanted to leave her as quiet as possible. Last year we had one sling make it all the way to the 2nd instar molt and then die while molting. I was hoping to make up for that with this eggsac (same female).