The Idolomantis Project

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Hey, another update!

So, I wasn’t expecting this so soon, but I have my first L4’s! Caught one in the act too! I don’t understand what people find so difficult about these! I understand the picky part, but the temp and humidity requirements are quite simple. @orchidloveXTM I have a feeling you will want to see this!

I’m finally running low on flies, these things are eating machines! I have tried many other food, only flies have worked so far. If anyone has some cheap simple suggestions, let me know!

Attachments

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Very nice, thanks for the full setup pic too! Thanks for keeping this journal up, it's really demystifying their care for me. As for feeders, there are a few videos of them being tong fed online, I'll attach one.

Precarious333 (I'm sure you're familiar with his channel) suggests that in order to get them to strike at crickets, "You have to get yourself a long set of tongs. If you use your fingers the mass of your hand distracts them from the cricket. I push the rear legs together with my fingers and grab the ends with the tongs and hold the cricket upside down so it has to do a sit-up if it wants to grab the tongs. This also prevents it from kicking its legs and potentially scaring or wounding the mantis."

I'm sure this tidbit of advice can also be applied to roaches as well, maybe give it a try.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I will try it! I wish it would work with mealworms too 😐
For mealworms, it seems you just need to expose some of their guts, put it up to their mouths, and they'll get a taste of it and grab on. Never kept idolo's, but it's worked with almost all other mantis species I've kept.

Conveniently it seems there's a video of one doing just that, however, this might be on an individual basis.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
For mealworms, it seems you just need to expose some of their guts, put it up to their mouths, and they'll get a taste of it and grab on. Never kept idolo's, but it's worked with almost all other mantis species I've kept.

Conveniently it seems there's a video of one doing just that, however, this might be on an individual basis.
I’ve tried that, mine are just too small. I know it works for a lot of mantids that focus on a wider range of prey, but when they are small tong feeding is near impossible.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
So! Nothing really new here, waiting on the molts to L5. Just wanted to update on where I am keeping them temperature-wise. For the last few months, I haven’t needed to control the temp, it was nice and toasty where I was keeping them, that temp to anyone out of SoCal would be the equivalent of the temperature in the deepest depths of hell, so perfect for this African species. They were acting normal in that temp, active, ravenous, usual mantis behavior. Over these last 2-3 days though, it has been rather cold where I live. Upper 60’s throughout the day, lower 40’s at night. This means it has been at a steady temperature of 70° in my house, about 10° too cool for this species. I’m finally getting ready to set up a heat lamp for them as we go into later fall. I’m going to need to find a way to set up all 7 of their deli cups so they get an equal heat distribution. Also, would anybody happen to know the best night to suspend the heat lamp above the cups at? I would rather not burn these to a crisp as that would rather discourage me ha!

I have also found these to rather like lateralis roaches. They really like the movement apparently and most are happily taking them from my tongs. There always has to be that one to ruin the party though! 2 of them really dislike roaches! Sadly I can’t meet their wants right now as I am officially out of flies. They have grown accustomed to roaches slowly, and I am hoping they will be willing to take them happily soon. If anybody has any questions regarding the species, feel free to ask now or anytime!

Thanks,

Ben

paumotu

Arachnobaron
So! Nothing really new here, waiting on the molts to L5. Just wanted to update on where I am keeping them temperature-wise. For the last few months, I haven’t needed to control the temp, it was nice and toasty where I was keeping them, that temp to anyone out of SoCal would be the equivalent of the temperature in the deepest depths of hell, so perfect for this African species. They were acting normal in that temp, active, ravenous, usual mantis behavior. Over these last 2-3 days though, it has been rather cold where I live. Upper 60’s throughout the day, lower 40’s at night. This means it has been at a steady temperature of 70° in my house, about 10° too cool for this species. I’m finally getting ready to set up a heat lamp for them as we go into later fall. I’m going to need to find a way to set up all 7 of their deli cups so they get an equal heat distribution. Also, would anybody happen to know the best night to suspend the heat lamp above the cups at? I would rather not burn these to a crisp as that would rather discourage me ha!

I have also found these to rather like lateralis roaches. They really like the movement apparently and most are happily taking them from my tongs. There always has to be that one to ruin the party though! 2 of them really dislike roaches! Sadly I can’t meet their wants right now as I am officially out of flies. They have grown accustomed to roaches slowly, and I am hoping they will be willing to take them happily soon. If anybody has any questions regarding the species, feel free to ask now or anytime!

Thanks,

Ben
Glad things are going smoothly, super cool they’re taking roaches!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
Finally, an L5! Oh and the last was in the process of its L4 molt, it took a while! Still smooth sailing! No casualties, all eating well and are active! Also got some new Peruvian leaf friends so I may as well update on them too as they aren’t very well known.

EDIT: I know the cups are dirty, some of these have been premolt for weeks and I didn’t want to disturb them.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
FINALLY AN UPDATE!

Got the first couple going to L6! Sadly I am down to 6 instead of 7 now...one mismolted to L5 which sucks. It decided to molt way too low and hit the bottom of the cup :(

The L6’s are rather large but not outgrowing their deli cups yet! I also finally got them to readily take dubia roaches. All are under a heat lamp right now and are very active with pacing and climbing. Getting a new shipment of flies for them this week as a treat. Also got some more mantis stuff going on! A few ootheca hatches (Mantis religiosa), bred some H. membranacea, all my Ghosts matured, and I got a pair of D. truncata adults!

P.S. pictures to follow in the near future ;)

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
FINALLY AN UPDATE!

Got the first couple going to L6! Sadly I am down to 6 instead of 7 now...one mismolted to L5 which sucks. It decided to molt way too low and hit the bottom of the cup :(

The L6’s are rather large but not outgrowing their deli cups yet! I also finally got them to readily take dubia roaches. All are under a heat lamp right now and are very active with pacing and climbing. Getting a new shipment of flies for them this week as a treat. Also got some more mantis stuff going on! A few ootheca hatches (Mantis religiosa), bred some H. membranacea, all my Ghosts matured, and I got a pair of D. truncata adults!

P.S. pictures to follow in the near future ;)
This is amazing ! Sorry to hear about the one mismolt, how does that happen ? I hope I don't ever encounter it.

Can't wait for the pictures... :)

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
This is amazing ! Sorry to hear about the one mismolt, how does that happen ? I hope I don't ever encounter it.

Can't wait for the pictures... :)
Ah, it tried molting off the side of the enclosure, got its raptorial leg stuck, and fell twisting its whole body up. I would hope you wouldn’t but they are incredibly common. I’ve been having really good luck.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Ah, it tried molting off the side of the enclosure, got its raptorial leg stuck, and fell twisting its whole body up. I would hope you wouldn’t but they are incredibly common. I’ve been having really good luck.
That's sad to hear...

Varmint

Arachnopeon
I know I'm a bit late to add a suggestion for the earlier instars, but have you tried feeding firebrats? I love them for smaller mantids, but I haven't raised any of the difficult species yet. Maybe something to source when you hatch some of these out and they're past fruit flies. Thanks for keeping this log!

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I know I'm a bit late to add a suggestion for the earlier instars, but have you tried feeding firebrats? I love them for smaller mantids, but I haven't raised any of the difficult species yet. Maybe something to source when you hatch some of these out and they're past fruit flies. Thanks for keeping this log!
I haven’t seen any for sale! Also, they are a bit too large for them. Thanks for the suggestion ;)