The Hunter... Or Why I Have to Lock Up the Spiders

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
He doesn't miss a movement from them and will sit like this for an hour. He even tries to open the door himself - resulting in me having to put a bungee cord holding the door shut.
He is a brat.

_DSC6350-2.jpg

What? I wasn't doing anything!!

_DSC6345-2.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
He looks like Nerina, my black cat :-s

I think I'm one of the few with cats not interested in T's/Inverts, one of my males watch my room when I'm not home, sleeping on my bed in a room where lives at the moment 15 T's and one Asian Centipede. Sometimes when my P.cambridgei crawl on her "tree", he open one eye, lol, watch her, then return to sleep.

One reason I think they aren't interested is, I let mine lives outside almost 24/7 in late Spring/Summer. They enter home (I sleep with my door completely open, the only one here btw) only for drink and eat.

They kill a lot of birds and those who fly on a regular basis but zero interest in bugs in general.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
This isn't isolated to cats, trust me. My schnauzer is quite interested in my spiders as well. It's become a family affair.
IMG_0706.JPG

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 3 cats (and often my dogs as well) always sit outside my T room waiting for me to go in and out. They are OBSESSED with trying to get in there. I think mostly because it's a room they've never been in and also they know I take the fun bag, filled with crickets, in there. A few days ago, my bf left the door open. I came home from work and all three cats were sneaking around in there and were close to impossible to get out. I was sooo mad. Anyway, I think they mostly wanted to sniff around and smack the crickets. Lol

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I sit here, at the computer, and I can hear him pawing on the glass in the dining room. The other two couldn't care less and I have never once seen them show an ounce of interest in the spiders. But that Nigel is a real killer... his prey drive more than makes up for the other two not having any.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@darkness975
Cats are predators. Period :)

One thing is, you can't let them outside because you live, who knows... in N.Y or in another gargantua sized city, maybe at the 20th floor. That's understandable.

But I live in a sweet 80.000 people, middle aged town, and here it's normal. Here it's different. I live in pure downtown, just not even 50 meters from the Cathedral, yet it's like living in the country. Cats here storms the streets, for playing and predate. That's their nature.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@darkness975
Cats are predators. Period :)

One thing is, you can't let them outside because you live, who knows... in N.Y or in another gargantua sized city, maybe at the 20th floor. That's understandable.

But I live in a sweet 80.000 people, middle aged town, and here it's normal. Here it's different. I live in pure downtown, just not even 50 meters from the Cathedral, yet it's like living in the country. Cats here storms the streets, for playing and predate. That's their nature.
Doesn't mean you have to let them kill everything. They have done plenty of studies on the ecological impact of cats on native wildlife.

@VanessaS Given that Tarantulas do not really move all that much you would think after a while the cat would lose interest, no? Just a thought :)

@Robyn8 What is the distance from the roof to the floor in that enclosure? It seems a bit high but it could just be the angle of the image.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
@VanessaS Given that Tarantulas do not really move all that much you would think after a while the cat would lose interest, no? Just a thought :)
I agree, you would think that they would lose interest... but not my Nigel. I had Evelyn, my G. porteri, the whole time I have had Nigel. Nigel was a 10 month old kitten when I found him back in 2009. Evelyn would barely move, being a G. porteri adult and all, but the moment she did - he would be sitting there watching her and pawing on the glass.
Nigel doesn't miss a thing - even a spider who doesn't move a muscle for months on end.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Doesn't mean you have to let them kill everything. They have done plenty of studies on the ecological impact of cats on native wildlife.
That "everything" you mentioned are nothing but rats and pidgeons, and here there's million of those, you know. Those are natural born preys for cats :-s

It's like blaming a spider because he/she eat a fly etc

That's nothing but normality, equilibrium. It's called "mother nature laws". Like a lion hunting and killing a prey.

I don't have a clue about the studies you are talking about but I tend to stay very, very far away from today modern world "studies", since, in every field, a lot of those promote an helluva of stuff I consider garbage, nothing more than cultural prostitution.

:)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight

@Robyn8 What is the distance from the roof to the floor in that enclosure? It seems a bit high but it could just be the angle of the image.
Its 30 cm high but further to the back it's filled with 20cm substrate.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I lost two spiders to cat. Not on purpose though. The cat just jumped on the shelves to get to the crested geckos.

Feeding is annoying, I usually have to a let a cricket roam free so I can feed in peace.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Getting my cat was the best decision in my life. He helped me overcome my severe depression last year.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have a no free range animal rule in effect at my house. If it's not in a tank/cage/tote/ enclosure it needs to be outside. :D