The hungry L.Parahybana?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my 1-year-old L.Parahybana 4 days ago, and I didn't try feeding her until tonight. (That burrowing cockroach doesn't count.)

Anyways, I threw 2 cricks in, and after all I've heard about these things' appetite, I assumed she'd eat them, considering she hasn't eaten anything for at least 4 days, eventhough she's quite fat.

As I watched her, I was almost led to believe she had never seen crickets before, and was utterly bewildered. She turned towards the cricks, walked up to them, they froze, she put one or two feet lightly on one, it turned statue, then began squirming and scurried away, while Potato backed off a little. This continued for a while, then she obviously got tired and went back to hugging the wall where the heat-mat is.

Don't they eat if they feel it isn't warm enough ('t'is perhaps 21 C where the heat mat isn't), or is it something else ?

Edit: I should perhaps mention that she doesn't seem to be waiting for a molt, as she is quite active and has a really healthy potato-looking bald spot on her rump.

Fet fryslort.

Last edited:

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe she is just full. Their metabolism isn't like ours. They can fill themselves up and use that for days or weeks, or even months. Maybe the previous owner stuffed crix down her throat.

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys

Don't they eat if they feel it isn't warm enough ('t'is perhaps 21 C where the heat mat isn't), or is it something else ?

In their natural environment in northeast Brazil, it goes down to 65F at night and up to 90F during the day. Humidities rise to 100% during the evening and down to 50% during the day.

Tarantulas will eat when they're hungry, unless they are freezing to death or dessicating (thirsting). They can get parasites or infections that interfere with their feeding by clogging up their mouthparts, and usually this can be seen as a white substance around the mouth. A tarantulas fang can break during a molt as well, which can also cause problems in capturing prey in order to eat.

I have seen L. parahybana go through phases, eating like a pig, and not eating for a while prior to molt (even before it's showing the steely gray color on the abdomen). So, hopefully your L. parahybana is just full, and will either resume eating when he/she's ready or will eventually molt.

As far as temps affecting eating, in their native environment temps go down to 65F and if they feed at night, it might not be a factor (unless your t's temps are dropping below 65F). If they feed during the day, then it might be.

Good luck,

Paul

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My parahybana is about 1 year old (got her as a probably 3rd instar in april last year) and has just molted (to about 6"). She didn't eat for a month prior to her abdomen turning black, so yours can very well be in premolt I think.
greetz,
Joost

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have also noticed that my larger L. parahybanas go through rather long pre-molt fasts.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm..yeah, upcoming molt might be it. As soon as I can get a hold of the guy I bought her from, I'll see if it's likely.
Thanks for the replies.