The Hunger Games (N. incei communal setup)

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Here's me showing off my first communal setup. I know that communals is a controversial topic and that several old-timers have advised against it but at the same time there have been many successful setups. The community consists of two regular N. incei's and two gold form ones. So far so good, let's hope that I'm still happy about it a month from now. The enclosure is a small Exo Terra turned backwards with a slab of cork bark hot glued to the back wall, coco peat substrate, some sphagnum moss and dried vegetation I found in the garden. Fingers crossed that the four slings don't go ballistic and cannibalize.

FullSizeRender.jpg

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I like the look of the enclosure. It looks sort of apocolyptic and very suitable for the Hunger Games. Hopefully the name of your project is still considered ironic in a month :).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Enjoy your fat spider :D

As far as I know, no one on the boards has a long term N. incei communal. Someone posted awhile back with their communal, but it was less than a month old. Haven't seen an update on that one in awhile, nor do I remember who posted it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK I have read about instances of N. incei communals going for years...
Agreed, so have I. But the definition of a "successful" communal needs to be stretched a bit. Every report that I read suffered occasional losses. Trust me, I'd love a communal of this species. I think it'd look amazingly cool. I personally just wouldn't risk it, and I'd love to be proved wrong so I could make one myself.

user 666

Arachnobaron

As far as I know, no one on the boards has a long term N. incei communal. Someone posted awhile back with their communal, but it was less than a month old. Haven't seen an update on that one in awhile, nor do I remember who posted it.
here you go:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
here you go:
That's... not at all what I was referring to. Not sure why you posted a wall of videos? I never said that I haven't seen an N. incei communal, only that a successful one needs a loose definition of "successful". See here:
Agreed, so have I. But the definition of a "successful" communal needs to be stretched a bit. Every report that I read suffered occasional losses. Trust me, I'd love a communal of this species. I think it'd look amazingly cool. I personally just wouldn't risk it, and I'd love to be proved wrong so I could make one myself.
As for what I was referring to, someone recently made a communal on the boards and has had no cannibalism last I saw. But it wasn't very old at that point. He had a video of one attempting an upright molt, and that was the last I heard of it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

@CEC has had good luck with his from what I've gathered. Not sure if he has had losses or not but he has multiple generations going. Here is one of the photos he posted a bit ago one it. I think he started with a mature gravid female and let them go from there.

I've seen more of these go bad than I have seen work out though. One of the main reasons I left mine in single enclosures.

Leila

Arachnobaron
That's... not at all what I was referring to. Not sure why you posted a wall of videos? I never said that I haven't seen an N. incei communal, only that a successful one needs a loose definition of "successful". See here:

As for what I was referring to, someone recently made a communal on the boards and has had no cannibalism last I saw. But it wasn't very old at that point. He had a video of one attempting an upright molt, and that was the last I heard of it.
I think that was @BobBarley who posted the upright molt/communal? I could be wrong though

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Just a hunch but I think if you breed them and leave them with Mom never separating, you'll up chances of success. As I started with 5 siblings ended up with 1... bred that 1 which was female 2.5 years ago, now her slings have matured and produced another generation.

I have had two die in the communal but not by cannibalism... I left the carcasses in the communal a couple days to see if they would scavenge but they didn't, I removed the deceased untouched.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I might have to try one out when I breed mine. I'll probably have too many slings so either way the outcome won't be too "bad".

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I think that was @BobBarley who posted the upright molt/communal? I could be wrong though
Yeah, that was me. All 4 (originally had 5, separated one and let it dry out too much :(:banghead:) are in a communal and still doing fine. Just measured, they are at about 1.25" and I've had them in a communal setup since mid-November, so about 5 months now. I expect any mature males to mature within the next molt. Had them since 1/2". It should be noted that they were not kept communal by the seller when I bought them.

Here's that upright molt vid:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQo0ozgBqrH/