The Hobbit - Preventable animal deaths - Boycott

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It has come to my attention that several preventable animal deaths occurred from the inappropriate and hazardous conditions the animals were kept in during the filming of the movie 'The Hobbit'. The deaths include two horses. Additionally, a number of injuries have been reported by the local humane society.

IMHO, this is completely unacceptable. In the interests of expediency filming a movie animals are injured and maimed by keeping them in a hazardous location. Apparently some of the animal handlers were so concerned and aggrieved they quit their job. Making things worse, this happened in New Zealand which, by all reports, is quite progressive in their overseeing animal treatment.
I don't care how good a movie is, it won't be finding this grumpy curmudgeon in it's audience. I won't even grace the flick with downloading it.

And to be a complete turkey about this, I'd rather not read any postings supporting the movie and situation made by persons who haven't had to put injured horses down.

Niffarious

Arachnoknight
I haven't seen any form of proof in any of the articles. And even in those, they say quite clearly that the issue was with the FARM the animals were owned by that had unsafe conditions - so off set. And even then, they made corrections when asked.

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like you are just scaremongering to me and making accusations with no actual proof of any animal death on the film set.

Bazzgazm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, IF this would be any of the humane societies that are tied into the animal laws going around, i wouldn't doubt it... Trying to spread more propoganda.. even people get hurt or killed filming movies.. so, I guess if it gets investigated, we'll find out.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
How is he blowing smoke? it is confirmed by the AHA that, after concerns were brought up, that the farm addressed issues. I am not really sure what he did that is so wrong?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
All over the world, various industries abuse animals. Granted. One of the most despicable is for entertainment. In the movie industry there has been a wide spread culture of thinking of animals as props or set decorations. Expendable and disposable. Hollywood, due to the abundantly available bad publicity, has kept their noses pretty clean. However, in other locations animal abuse is still rampant.

Now, I was under the impression that the members of AB are reasonably intelligent responsible animal keepers and admirers. As animal keepers, anyone here worth 2 cents knows you don't put your animals into any location that will present a hazard, to yourself or the animal. With small animals this can be difficult. With larger animals as in domesticated farm animals, the job is pretty easy. Working with horses, cattle, and sheep it is called 'riding the fences' before you turn them loose. No loose barbed wire, no chain link fencing, and the pastures are free of leg breaker holes and blind falls.

With this movie, the wranglers sounded the alarm early and repeatedly. But due to the 'set decoration' cultural mentality, they were ignored and even fired, for showing concern for their charges.

As for Jackson, he could have set an example. He could have showed umbrage and demonstrated proper conduct, setting an example. We do not need more of the business as usual attitude.

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No boycott from me. Anything PETA is involved in is immediately suspect. I have seen several pieces from both sides of the story and tend to side with the production company on this one.

Boba Phil

Arachnopeon
Animals are kept in terrible conditions all over the world, will you not but eggs because of battery farms? This has come to light because it's a movie. Both Jackson and the production studio cannot take full responsibility for EVERYTHING that goes on when filming. Oliver Reed died while filming GLADIATOR, it was no one's fault, just bad things happen.

If people are going to boycott a movie because of one news story (since we all know how trustworthy newspapers are :rolleyes: ), then we should all live in caves and eat bat poo, although, some bats might die in the production of the poo.

The production of Palm oil kills hundreds of orangutans every year, but will you boycott almost all soap and bathroom products, the majority of food stuffs and manufacturing?

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Don't insult my intelligence nor animal husbandry just because I disagree with your position. Based on one report - not an investigation but one news report - some animals died. However, based on the AHA, their concerns over the area were met and corrected. Are the wranglers being honest, covering up for their own errors or seeking something else? I don't know, but the AHA isn't jumping all over this - so that should speak volumes.

Last edited:

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I don’t understand, is how “survival” shows – such as the one featuring Bear Grylls – are allowed to kill and eat animals on camera for entertainment purposes. For example, smashing a live snake against a rock until it is dead and therefore fit for consumption. On one show, I don’t recall which specifically, the hosts kept a live turtle as back up, until, based on conditions that were entirely fabricated, they “had” to eat it to ensure their survival.