The Great Shipping Debate...

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So it seems Overnight shipping is king here in the US. I am curious is this is generally the method for our friends overseas. I sometimes here other countries say if was not a very long transit, only 5 days. Does anyone see any difference in the survival rate for overnight vs. ground or 3 day? What is the preferred method in other countries?

NYAN

Arachnoking
I think others countries do not often have overnight like we do.

The survival rate seems pretty good from what I’ve read, but it would depend a lot on weather, what is being sent, and how well it is packed. Those factors matter the most in any shipping situation.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Tarantulas can last a long time if they are properly packaged. However, dealers are careful to only offer a refund on DOA's if the animals are shipped the fastest possible way and I don't blame them.
I've had a shipment lost by Canada Post in April in Canada for two weeks and one out of the three in the packaged was still alive. Had it have been a warmer time of year, I would say that all three would have likely survived.

aarachnid

Arachnoknight
I prefer two day shipping because every time I've had it, everyone arrives fine (besides me causing the death of one, all the other Ts were fine) and it's a lot less expensive. I live in PA and have had spiders from Oregon arrive safe and sound, but they're also packaged very well.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Overnight just gives me peace of mind. I did 2-3 shipping for my GBB and I was worried sick that something was going to happen to her, it got way colder than predicted and I was convinced she had frozen to death. She was perfectly fine but next time I'm just doing overnight.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Overnight just gives me peace of mind. I did 2-3 shipping for my GBB and I was worried sick that something was going to happen to her, it got way colder than predicted and I was convinced she had frozen to death. She was perfectly fine but next time I'm just doing overnight.
Agreed, peace of mind. I remember shipping mantids regular ground and no issues ever. Came to theTarantula hobby and everything was overnight, well most, given the weather is nice.

cold blood

Staff member
So it seems Overnight shipping is king here in the US. I am curious is this is generally the method for our friends overseas. I sometimes here other countries say if was not a very long transit, only 5 days. Does anyone see any difference in the survival rate for overnight vs. ground or 3 day? What is the preferred method in other countries?
My survival rates on 2-3 day shipping are pretty much 100%. The only time i can recall DOAs all came with overnight.

Now i only use 2-3 day under ideal conditions....but i feel overnight can have its risks because of plane travel....changes in altitude....the DOAs ive had (and its only been a very very small few), all had burst abdomens...altitude and possibly unpressurized cargo areas seem the most likely cause IMO.

I laugh when i see people talking about overnight as if its always the golden option...its not....under ideal conditions (which we should all be shooting for regardless), theres no higher danger level at all with the 2-3 day option....which is why i (and some others) have no problem offering LAG with the less expensive ship options.

I hate to see people guilted into overnight prices under ideal conditions. 2-3 day is still much faster than much of Europe, and it not like they have many issues despite some shipments taking 5 to as long as 10 days...like those coming out of Poland, for example.

Proper packing is more important than quick arrivals in my opinion.

JME

I've had a shipment lost by Canada Post in April in Canada for two weeks and one out of the three in the packaged was still alive. Had it have been a warmer time of year, I would say that all three would have likely survived
I had a fairly large shipment lost for 2 weeks in the heat of summer...it went to the wrong part of the country, then sat there for 10 days or so....all 23 slings survived just fine.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
My survival rates on 2-3 day shipping are pretty much 100%. The only time i can recall DOAs all came with overnight.

Now i only use 2-3 day under ideal conditions....but i feel overnight can have its risks because of plane travel....changes in altitude....the DOAs ive had (and its only been a very very small few), all had burst abdomens...altitude and possibly unpressurized cargo areas seem the most likely cause IMO.

I laugh when i see people talking about overnight as if its always the golden option...its not....under ideal conditions (which we should all be shooting for regardless), theres no higher danger level at all with the 2-3 day option....which is why i (and some others) have no problem offering LAG with the less expensive ship options.

I hate to see people guilted into overnight prices nder ideal conditions. 2-3 day is still much faster than much of Europe, and it not like they have many issues despite some shipments taking 5 to as long as 10 days...like thise coming out of Poland for example.

Proper packing is more important that quick arrivals in my opinion.

JME

I had a fairly large shipment lost for 2 weeks in the heat of summer...it went to the wrong part of the country, then sat there for 10 days or so....all 23 slings survived just fine.
Totally agreed, I have never received a shipment from you with issues, even during winter all arrived without issues. I think I will start Opting for the cheaper option, because truthfully I have never had an issue with shipping other than molts and one DOA with another shipper but the rest were fine. The only perk with some shippers is LAG.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Down under we just express ship on Monday and you wil nearly always get your order in 1-5 days, but usually in less than 4

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
If more dealers offered LAG on anything past overnight I would use the 2-3 day option more, but some of them won't give LAG past arrival at your door overnight let alone 48-72 hrs. In fact I made a thread about extending LAG times awhile back and I was basically attacked by some of the small time dealers on this site for daring to suggest that anything over live arrival overnight might be something we should discuss.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If more dealers offered LAG on anything past overnight I would use the 2-3 day option more, but some of them won't give LAG past arrival at your door overnight let alone 48-72 hrs. In fact I made a thread about extending LAG times awhile back and I was basically attacked by some of the small time dealers on this site for daring to suggest that anything over live arrival overnight might be something we should discuss.
I think mantids are way more fragile and I have never shipped them overnight nor had an issue. People seem to think a tarantula will die 3-5 days in a roll of tissue, basically how they spend weeks in a burrow. I am still curious why overnight became the must for a tarantula because they are very hardy and seem to never have issues. I think regular shipping is fine, not sure where the “must use overnight came about.”’

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I think mantids are way more fragile and I have never shipped them overnight nor had an issue, I am still curious why overnight became the must for a tarantula because they are very hardy and seem to never have issues. I think regular shipping is fine, not sure where the “must use overnight came about.”’
I would say it's because of fear on the dealers part. They're so afraid of paying the LAG and losing money that they want the T in your hands and past LAG as soon as possible, so giving LAG on anything past overnight is not a option for them.

It's so rare to see LAG on anything past overnight I admit I don't even check a lot of the time.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
In the UK the minimum legal requirement for shipping live inverts is 1st class signed for which takes 1-3 working days (but is usually next day anyway) but if you ship tarantulas using anything other than RMSD next day <1pm you'll probably get lynched.