The great Cricket escape

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
So, the only place in town that had crickets yesterday was a bait shop which only sold in bulk (ew) so i purchased the smallest amount they would allow and they gave me a cricket cage.
i had all intentions of going to get a cricket keeper today.
Well in the night at some point my cats discovered the chirpy little things and pushed them off of the table, so far I've caught 10. that means i still have 15- 20 evil chirpy buttholes jumping around my house at the moment.

unless my cats ate them.
and i can no longer feed them to my tarantula due to the fact that we have horne's pest control and they might be contaminated.
ughhhh

Last edited:

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
So, the only place in town that had crickets yesterday was a bait shop which only sold in bulk (ew) so i purchased the smallest amount they would allow and they gave me a cricket cage.
i had all intentions of going to get a cricket keeper today.
Well in the night at some point my cats discovered the chirpy little things and pushed them off of the table, so far I've caught 10. that means i still have 15- 20 evil chirpy a$$holes jumping around my house at the moment.

unless my cats ate them.
Man I HATE crickets, I try to stick to my roach colony. Don't worry your cats will take care of them :happy: I know my dogs enjoy an occasional escapee

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
they're disgusting, and they have sword butts. but i'd rather do them than roaches. they make my skin crawl, had an infestation of german cockroaches at one point. (not my fault, i keep my house clean, live in a wooded area and when my stove went out someone brought a used one from someone who had an infestation and they invaded) honestly if i could just cook for my tarantula i would to avoid bugs.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
When I was first getting into keeping lizards I bought two dozen crickets for my anoles. The pet store gave me a bag that easily had five dozen in it. Up to this point I'd been keeping the crickets in the bag they came in without issue, but with so many this time, they chewed through the bag within the hour and by the time I checked on them, there was a dozen left. Still makes my skin crawl thinking about it. They were everywhere.

Good luck with your escapees!:drunk:

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
When I was first getting into keeping lizards I bought two dozen crickets for my anoles. The pet store gave me a bag that easily had five dozen in it. Up to this point I'd been keeping the crickets in the bag they came in without issue, but with so many this time, they chewed through the bag within the hour and by the time I checked on them, there was a dozen left. Still makes my skin crawl thinking about it. They were everywhere.

Good luck with your escapees!:drunk:
thanks! i haven't seen anymore, but considering this happened in the wee hours of the morning they could be anywhere, including my 4 year olds bedroom :sorry:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Well the good news is they have a short lifespan. The bad news is, unless you or your cats catch them, is you have several weeks of chirping to listen too.

cold blood

Staff member
Well the good news is they have a short lifespan. The bad news is, unless you or your cats catch them, is you have several weeks of chirping to listen too.
Just hope theyre not banded crickets....that species is hard to kill and seem to live much longer. Theyre also more athletic.....i had one in my vents once....for like a month before i caught the little beast.....drove me halfway to the nuthouse.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, think that there's hysteric manager from "the city" and such that pay a lot of bucks just for listen to nature sounds (therefore even crickets 'songs') in those sort of in the country little hotels. You can for free.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Your cats have probably already taken care of the problem.

Personally I think a sword butt would be cool.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've always got a few house spiders dotted around the animal room and throughout the house. Always handy. And bloody great to boot.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I've always got a few house spiders dotted around the animal room and throughout the house. Always handy. And bloody great to boot.
I've also caught my daddy long legs taking care of my loose mealworms or moths which are breeding in my wheat bran :)

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
Well any that I've found have found the poison laid out by hornes. So, I have a bucket full of dead crickets. I'm assuming any I can't find have either been digested by my lovely felines or eaten the forbidden fruit. ;)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have crickets and roaches both and I don't have a problem with crickets. In fact, all of my inverts prefer them to roaches.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that means i still have 15- 20 evil chirpy
A FYI the substitution of characters in place of letters for cursing is against the TOS. I suggest you read the TOS of the forum again. We have children who use and read this forum, even less than 10 yrs of age, and certainly many young teens. Family friendly here :D

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
they're disgusting, and they have sword butts. but i'd rather do them than roaches. they make my skin crawl, had an infestation of german cockroaches at one point. (not my fault, i keep my house clean, live in a wooded area and when my stove went out someone brought a used one from someone who had an infestation and they invaded) honestly if i could just cook for my tarantula i would to avoid bugs.
:eek: sword butts

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
thanks! i haven't seen anymore, but considering this happened in the wee hours of the morning they could be anywhere, including my 4 year olds bedroom :sorry:
:wideyed: Your 4 y/o eats crickets?
Yeah. I know. With a 4y/o one just never knows!

Tdcandama96

Arachnopeon
A FYI the substitution of characters in place of letters for cursing is against the TOS. I suggest you read the TOS of the forum again. We have children who use and read this forum, even less than 10 yrs of age, and certainly many young teens. Family friendly here :D
I apologize, i was unaware, i edited it! :)

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've recently had a catastrophic containment failure recently as well. I'm experimenting with different types of setups to see what the results are on not only keeping extras but breeding a small number of crickets as well. While cleaning the tub out and rearranging the furniture so to speak, two of my cats, who had been watching the proceedings, felt that I had evidently made some sort of error and they decided to correct it for me. The result was a partial gravitational failure centered around the tub itself. I watched in horror and anger as the open end of the tub, which had been out of the crickets reach up to that point, suddenly rotated itself around 90 degrees and became aggravatingly accessible and the aforementioned crickets were violently liberated from their plastic world. The cats did their best to help me round up the crickets but their lack of thumbs would not allow them to effectively catch the crickets by hand so they resorted to grabbing them in their mouths. This was terribly inefficient and they were forced to swallow the crickets in order to catch more.I don't know how many they rounded up for me (since they ate all the ones they caught) but I do know I need to go back to the store soon to restock. Luckily, there were no escapees that survived the encounter to spread throughout the house and as long as the cats stick around while I'm doing routine maintenance, I won't have to worry about escapees. I recommend that everyone keep some cats around while messing with any feeders that might escape and set up residence in the nooks and crannies of the house.