The GBB requirements

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I was in a petstore out of town. they had a greenbottleB. there I was interested in and asking about. SHe said it required a 20 galllon tank , and she qwanted 99. for it. I didnt actually see the spider but was interested in it. I was tempted to get it but it wouldev broke my pocket after. ( i wouldev put it in the kk for a time, atm it was in a sandwitch container ) they had a really awesom container for sale aswell that i want for my current spider, was 70. had metal screen on the top but it wasnt a screen, it was reasonable thick and I actually wasnt sure if it was plastic or metal. and it had a sliding top aswell a locking pin on it. with Crossvents in it. was Very pretty. anyway Im wondering whats involved in the gbb care. how much they eat, aggressiveness, all that. is it a biter ? BIte strength, will it try to run out whenever I open the cage or anyhting I should be aware of

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Oh ya, quite the web display. I like that it webs but its not hidden away in it. looks like a beut. I should talk my gf into getting one. speedy eh hmm hmm hmm . ID imagine a bit of a challenge to rehouse. seeing that web action.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I was in a petstore out of town. they had a greenbottleB. there I was interested in and asking about. SHe said it required a 20 galllon tank , and she qwanted 99. for it.
:rofl:

More or less, in a different context, what those two below said once to a spastic piece of animated wood named Pinocchio.

39-art-685-b-pinocchio-il-gatto-e-la-volpe_24956.jpg

Copyright belongs to the author ^

To think that out there there's 'stoopids Scrooges' that almost pay nothing for house T's, uhm... unfair :-s

Goldcup

Arachnopeon
Absolutely love this T, gorgeous at all stages and loves to eat!

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
20 gallons is huge for a GBB. You'd be fine keeping a full-sized adult in a 5.5 gallon enclosure. Even 10 gallons would give it a ton of room and would probably be stretching it in terms of size.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I have one in a five gallon and one in a ten fallon. The one in the ten gallon uses less than half of its' enclosure.

Speedy, yes but not tough to manage. I will say though that when I got my first gbb it immediately ran straight out of its enclosure and onto my desk before I could close the top.

Very easy to keep and look awesome! I highly recommend.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have one in a five gallon and one in a ten fallon. The one in the ten gallon uses less than half of its' enclosure.

Speedy, yes but not tough to manage. I will say though that when I got my first gbb it immediately ran straight out of its enclosure and onto my desk before I could close the top.

Very easy to keep and look awesome! I highly recommend.
You should tell the reader what size your Ts are. W/out that knowledge new people will think that any size is OK regardless of T size ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im wondering whats involved in the gbb care. how much they eat, aggressiveness, all that. is it a biter ? BIte strength, will it try to run out whenever I open the cag
GBBs have been asked about a lot over the past years. Have you tried searching AB forum for info, or searching the forum via Google? You'd get a lot more information from a variety of keepers that way.

All animals w/a mouth may bite you. They aren't afraid to take on a human at times. Some will try and leave, generally no.

They are like people, each T is different. One person on here has one that is mellow like an E sp Red, mine adult female GBB will take me on for a fight quite frequently.

They are very hardy species, if you kill this species because of husbandry, one should own a stone instead as their next pet.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
You should tell the reader what size your Ts are. W/out that knowledge new people will think that any size is OK regardless of T size ;)
I suppose that makes sense... I have a female in the 5 gallon and 10 gallon both between 4.5-5". With any luck maybe they'll get just a tiny bit bigger but who knows!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I suppose that makes sense... I have a female in the 5 gallon and 10 gallon both between 4.5-5". With any luck maybe they'll get just a tiny bit bigger but who knows!
2 females, nice. Curious then, how much of the tank are each using in the vertical, and how much of the tank is webbed up in each? As we know GBBs level of webbing is all over the place across the species.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Well the one in the 10 gallon tank set up a kind of tent web in one corner and calls it home. It has some small runners on the floor in all directions but the tent it made is all it uses. It uses maybe 1/3 of the enclosure. I plan on breeding her in that tank so I figure the male has plenty of room to run if it needs. Hopefully I'll find a MM one of these days...

The other enclosure is actually closer to 4.5 gallons after doing the math. That female is rather new to me but has put a small amount of webbing all over the floor, around the fake plants and has some runners up to the ceiling as well. I look forward to seeing what she does!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well the one in the 10 gallon tank set up a kind of tent web in one corner and calls it home. It has some small runners on the floor in all directions but the tent it made is all it uses. It uses maybe 1/3 of the enclosure. I plan on breeding her in that tank so I figure the male has plenty of room to run if it needs. Hopefully I'll find a MM one of these days...

The other enclosure is actually closer to 4.5 gallons after doing the math. That female is rather new to me but has put a small amount of webbing all over the floor, around the fake plants and has some runners up to the ceiling as well. I look forward to seeing what she does!
I saw 2 at a show, both in same size acrylic terrestrial. One webbed the entire container, a cloud. So you KNOW opening that up is "fun" as the entire container was that Ts hide/den. My AF GBB does that, a real pain.

The other GBB only used a corner. Impossible to figure them out and what they will use, and how much of it.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
I saw 2 at a show, both in same size acrylic terrestrial. One webbed the entire container, a cloud. So you KNOW opening that up is "fun" as the entire container was that Ts hide/den. My AF GBB does that, a real pain.

The other GBB only used a corner. Impossible to figure them out and what they will use, and how much of it.
Lol

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a female GBB back in the day that webbed up a whole 10 gallon. But I agree that something that big is unnecessary for this species.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
The only female gbb i ever had (i had her about 8-10 yrs) was a web master. I ended up having her in an exoterra i think was 7.5 gal maybe? It was cube so as much verticle as horizontal space an provided good foliage up an down for anchor points an man did she make use of it!!!!!!!!
She had crazy tunnels an webbing over the whole thing up/down/sideways/front/back you name it, she webbed it lol.

Highly recommend this species!!!!!!!

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
hmm well it sounds like a cool species, what about bite strength, if it was to decide to bite me or someone given its oppurtune chance if it chose to take it. i know funnel webs . and recluse and webbers of that similar style have a pretty bad bite. common sense cautiousness is always taken with me I wont stick my finger down a funnel web tunnel or anyhitng like that. this one having a similar web style, is it a consideration of the webbers to not ignore this bite is potentially very bad ? we have any bite - eees here ?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
hmm well it sounds like a cool species, what about bite strength, if it was to decide to bite me or someone given its oppurtune chance if it chose to take it. i know funnel webs . and recluse and webbers of that similar style have a pretty bad bite. common sense cautiousness is always taken with me I wont stick my finger down a funnel web tunnel or anyhitng like that. this one having a similar web style, is it a consideration of the webbers to not ignore this bite is potentially very bad ? we have any bite - eees here ?
Bite reports: Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

This species would generally rather flee or flick hairs than bite. Bites are rare if you use common sense, like not sticking your hands in the enclosure (use tongs for maintenance) and not handling the tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
As a NW species, it has mild venom.

How much they web plays no role in their venom...plenty of NW ts web a lot, none are medically significant.

New world=low venom strength and not medically significant.

Old World=painful, often very painful...also often medically significant...although not deadly, they can wreck a week or two.