The Future of the T. Hobby (Mainstream) Discussion

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Sorry, but that is the truth. They don't care about the spiders at all - they don't care about learning, they don't care about husbandry, they don't care about the well being of the tarantula - all they care about is what that tarantula will do for them and their social media presence.
Oh, it's you again, why am I not surprised.
Do you know that I have been making a tarantula videos for two years before I earned a single penny? Yeah I definitely build all of my enclosures, projects and setups for tarantulas because I don't care about them. I definitely spent my childhood reading all the encyclopedias and books I could get about spiders because I didn't care about them.
I definitely got detention in my first grade because I was outside looking for spiders in a bushes and didn't go back to class when bell ringed because I didn't care about spiders.
I definitely listened to all the nagging from my mom for having tarantulas at home because I actually didn't care about them.
You don't know me and you clearly don't watch my videos or if you do, you just look them to nitpick stuff you don't like while ignoring everything else.
Stop talking crap about me on every single occasion you get, it's becoming really annoying.

On the topic of this thread, it was inevitable for hobby to become more "mainstream". Youtube videos and facebook groups definitely had huge role in this, showing how caring for tarantulas is really easy and not demanding, at least in comparison to majority of pets. And they also show how tarantulas aren't some scary creatures so people that are curious in nature will go and try to find out more. Also more and more people are living in apartments, so keeping majority of pets is not really practical, and this is where tarantulas shine.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Boy, that was quick. If only you were this quick in addressing people's concerns about your animals - I wouldn't have anything to complain about.
Start posting videos of every aspect of your care, you would be surprised of how many stuff will people start pointing out ;)

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Oh, it's you again, why am I not surprised.
Do you know that I have been making a tarantula videos for two years before I earned a single penny? Yeah I definitely build all of my enclosures, projects and setups for tarantulas because I don't care about them. I definitely spent my childhood reading all the encyclopedias and books I could get about spiders because I didn't care about them.
I definitely got detention in my first grade because I was outside looking for spiders in a bushes and didn't go back to class when bell ringed because I didn't care about spiders.
I definitely listened to all the nagging from my mom for having tarantulas at home because I actually didn't care about them.
You don't know me and you clearly don't watch my videos or if you do, you just look them to nitpick stuff you don't like while ignoring everything else.
Stop talking crap about me on every single occasion you get, it's becoming really annoying.

On the topic of this thread, it was inevitable for hobby to become more "mainstream". Youtube videos and facebook groups definitely had huge role in this, showing how caring for tarantulas is really easy and not demanding, at least in comparison to majority of pets. And they also show how tarantulas aren't some scary creatures so people that are curious in nature will go and try to find out more. Also more and more people are living in apartments, so keeping majority of pets is not really practical, and this is where tarantulas shine.
If it makes you feel better, you got me into spiders and I did unsubscribe but I have subscribed again after your room tour.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
With any area of animal keeping there are going to be idiots. No matter what. People leave their dogs outside in the winter, people don't know how to treat cats, many people think putting fish in tiny bowls without a proper tank is ok and wonder why they die. A lack of education and ignorance does contribute, but in my experience whenever I try to tell my sister that using soap to clean aquarium gravel isn't ok or when I try to help anyone with anything about how they keep their animals they get angry as if I have insulted them. It's not always a lack of education, but rather an opposition to learn, which is a huge problem for people who can't take a little critique and use it as education. Some newcomers hate AB because of the people who have been here for a long time try to help and get called elitist. Sadly it proves difficult to try and make people more open minded from any approach, but who knows, maybe things can change.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Honestly with as stupidly arachnophobic as the world is, I don't think that this hobby will ever be as "mainstream" as any other exotic pets. Tarantulas aren't going surpass reptiles, exotic fish, barnyard animals kept as house pets, or any other "out there" pets people have because the idea of people having spiders in their house is just a huge no for most. It's gaining popularity but it will continue to be a niche thing and we can only hope that the people who have latched on since it's trendy move on to the next thing asap. Like give it another ten years and people are still going to recoil in horror when you say "Yeah I have pet tarantulas," as opposed to "Yeah I have a pet lizard,"

At least that is what my instinct tells me.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I wish to expand people's understanding and knowledge about these animals. Grow the hobby and create new enthusiasts.

There is nothing wrong with Internet Idols if we ensure that enough people are CONSTRUCTIVELY teaching others about tarantulas....
CONSTRUCTIVE!!! is the key word here.
Not "Lol you didn't do something right! You are a irrisponsable keeper!"
There is already too much of that as is...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoops71

Arachnopeon
With regards to YT, too many 'mystery box' unboxings and online spider retail endorsements for my liking these days. Unsubscribed from a few channels because of this. I personally want to learn, with a scientific edge, about these beautiful animals, not watch somebody cream themselves over a freeby mystery box from Web World.com (you can have that lol). Each to their own I guess. But its Tom Moran and BirspidersCH for me with a sprinkling of Dark Den and Tarantula Haven on top.

Last edited:

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
As a relative noob to this hobby I have to add my two cents...
1) I don't think that keeping tarantulas will ever be mainstream - judging by the crazy reactions I get from people who know me and how much I love all animals. Some people even say they would have a snake but could never have a T. I don't really understand how one animal would freak them out and not the other though.
I'm ok with it not being mainstream, and its still unique enough that I don't know anyone in real life who keeps spiders of any kind. But I try to educate my friends & family as much as I can (which they should be used to by now).

2) Maybe since I'm not huge into social media I don't see a lot of the crap that others do. The YT channels I watch I've chosen to watch/subscribe to because I like something about the content. I watched Tarantulaguy1976 videos years ago and I loved that he talked about his Ts like he cared about them. Then last year I searched for an enclosure for a rescued house centipede - and there was Petko with a how-to enclosure video. I watched more of his videos, and really enjoyed the diy aspect. Then Tom Moran popped up on my suggestions, so I watched some of his videos. Lo and behold, he has a site where he writes educational and husbandry articles! Watching The Dark Den and Tom's Big Spiders for months taught me so much and encouraged me to further research having these as pets. At a certain point my bf flat out asked when I was going to get a T. :happy: I've since found other good channels, and I subscribe to the ones that I think are worth my time. I don't get all of the hate on YT going on currently. I agree that we should be able to correct each other and discuss things, even if we don't agree. But if it wasn't for these bigger channels I wouldn't be in the hobby at all...
/rant :angelic:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
In dealing with the public on a whole, and seeing countless new people entering the hobby, the majority of them are not really interested in tarantulas/spiders/arachnids at all and are only looking for that novelty item that they feel will give them an advantage on social media.
Sorry, but that is the truth. They don't care about the spiders at all - they don't care about learning, they don't care about husbandry, they don't care about the well being of the tarantula - all they care about is what that tarantula will do for them and their social media presence.
That's quite the theory, but purely an assumption on your part, its not something you can say without a doubt...a lot of people get basic husbandry wrong when they are new, doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about the animals that are under their care. As for the social media thing, most dont know its going to blow up until it actually happens, making videos is usually just something they started doing for fun...not a get rich quick scheme, and they arent malevolently planning to torture their animals behind the scenes. If they make mistakes, the good ones will address them and grow from there...its part of the process when keeping exotics.

Now the individuals that ignore/refuse to take any criticism and continue to neglect their animals are definitely the bottom of the barrel in the hobby. I don't agree with every single aspect of @petkokc advice in his videos, but to throw him in that category is just plain hate IMO.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
More rules, more restrictions. I think the real question is: Are the new laws in the states a result of a increase in the hobbies popularity, or were they just destined to come at some point? As in, completely unrelated to the hobbies recent growth?

Social media has a massive impact on people. I don't know if people should complain about negative influences there without being there themselves to stick up for the hobby they say they care so much about.

Dapink02

Arachnopeon
More rules, more restrictions. I think the real question is: Are the new laws in the states a result of a increase in the hobbies popularity, or were they just destined to come at some point? As in, completely unrelated to the hobbies recent growth?

Social media has a massive impact on people. I don't know if people should complain about negative influences there without being there themselves to stick up for the hobby they say they care so much about.
I found it amazing as to how many places in my state have restrictions and even bans on the keeping and sale/trade of tarantulas. I live in the middle of nowhere to begin with so there's no breeders nearby (plus I'm always nervous to have an animal mailed to me I've witnessed snow in June) I had to go across the state just to pick up my first tarantula since many counties in my state have restrictions.

That's quite the theory, but purely an assumption on your part, its not something you can say without a doubt...a lot of people get basic husbandry wrong when they are new, doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about the animals that are under their care. As for the social media thing, most dont know its going to blow up until it actually happens, making videos is usually just something they started doing for fun...not a get rich quick scheme, and they arent malevolently planning to torture their animals behind the scenes. If they make mistakes, the good ones will address them and grow from there...its part of the process when keeping exotics.

Now the individuals that ignore/refuse to take any criticism and continue to neglect their animals are definitely the bottom of the barrel in the hobby. I don't agree with every single aspect of @petkokc advice in his videos, but to throw him in that category is just plain hate IMO.
I remember one of petkos videos where he wanted to breed B. albopilosum nicaragua and hondura with eachother, but he listened to a few subscribers who told him that it wasn't the best of ideas. A key part of making sure you keep your subscribers is by interacting with them and listening to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I remember one of petkos videos where he wanted to breed B. albopilosum nicaragua and hondura with eachother, but he listened to a few subscribers who told him that it wasn't the best of ideas. A key part of making sure you keep your subscribers is by interacting with them and listening to them.
Yea, that was my thread that informed him and one of my comments that helped him. Luckily, you learn and grow from those types of mistakes and experiences. But yes, sometimes it is good to listen to keep in touch with your fans, because you never know if that one fan is actually trying to help. ;)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I found it amazing as to how many places in my state have restrictions and even bans on the keeping and sale/trade of tarantulas. I live in the middle of nowhere to begin with so there's no breeders nearby (plus I'm always nervous to have an animal mailed to me I've witnessed snow in June) I had to go across the state just to pick up my first tarantula since many counties in my state have restrictions.
Yep.. there's a city near me where all exotics are completely banned. These bans are very real and might become more prevalent.

Just FYI, unless temps are consistently below like, 50, you really don't have to worry too much.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Yep.. there's a city near me where all exotics are completely banned. These bans are very real and might become more prevalent.

Just FYI, unless temps are consistently below like, 50, you really don't have to worry too much.
That's crazy.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
(plus I'm always nervous to have an animal mailed to me I've witnessed snow in June) I had to go across the state just to pick up my first tarantula since many counties in my state have restrictions.
I've mail ordered many T's in winter, never had any die. I always have them held at the post office or Fedex center, that way they can't be left outside.