The future of captive breeding

Scoly

Arachnobaron
If you dig back on this forum you'll see plenty of Scolopendra harwickei, S.mirabilis, Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "Kenyan blue leg" and "blue ring", Scolopendra alternans "Hispaniola red giant" and several other species which were imported into Europe, the USA and several Asian countries in decent quantities at some point, but are near impossible to find these days.

Many of the WC females laid clutches, many others were mated, and many of those clutches survived, but almost none of these have developed into a sustainable supply. That's not through lack of trying. Several really smart people, most of whom are on here, have put a lot of effort over years and decades trying to breed various species. There have been many successes of course, but the fact is that almost no species is supplied exclusively from CB (as is the case with many tarantula species) and overall perhaps 99% of all centipedes in captivity are WC or F1, with only tiny amounts of F2 and beyond.

The problem

A lot of the difficulty comes down to the centipedes themselves (eating clutches, small clutch sizes, low survival rates etc...) which we can't do a massive amount about except to learn and improve. Another difficulty is sourcing males, which seem to be much rarer in most species, from captive populations. Unlike tarantulas, they don't make themselves known upon maturity, nor is there data to date showing that they have shorter lifespans than females, so there is no trigger pushing keepers who don't plan on breeding to make their males available to breeders.

These combined difficulties explain why even those species which gave us F1 from females caught gravid rarely produce an F2 or F3 generation: even if you succeed in producing clutches, and the pedelings you sell survive in the hands of their new owners, you might end up not being able to recoup a male, and the line dies.

This is exactly why we no longer have Scolopendra hardwickei in Europe, despite there being around 150 pedelings produced in 2016, and half a dozen people doing everything they can to resuscitate the breeding programme since. We also recently lost what seems to have been the last two male Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "Kenyan blue leg" in Europe (one died, one was shipped to the US) which leaves that line in dire straits too.

A solution

I figured the best way to tackle this is by getting every last centipede keeper's collection onto a database, which would let breeders locate matches, and send an email to the owner with their contact details. It would then up to the two parties to come to some arrangement.

That database is here: https://centipede.keeper.solutions/

It only takes a couple of minutes to enter your collection, and with every specimen logged we improve our odds of having a wide variety of species available at reasonable prices in the future, which is what this is all about. The search and message features aren't operational yet, all you can do is log your collection, but if you sign up you'll be notified as soon as those features go live.

Making numbers work for us

With low clutch sizes, low numbers of keepers and even lower number of breeders, the odds are compounding to work against us, so its important to do what we can to turn them in our favour. The simplest is by volume, which helps in several ways:
  1. The more specimens listed, the more keepers might consider breeding just because there is a male available nearby.
  2. The more keepers start breeding, the greater the body of experience in the hobby, the better chances we have.
  3. The more breeding happens (even of common species) the more centipedes those involved in breed will have at their disposal and be able to offer as exchange to stubborn sellers sitting on a potential male of a rare species.
  4. Being aware of what others keep facilitates exchanges and pooling of specimens of the same species together, and also to prevent harmful change of hands (like shipping a load from one continent to another, thereby splitting the pool into two irreconcilable halves both of which are too small to be sustainable).
  5. The more excess centipedes of common species we have, the more freebies we can give, the more people we get into the hobby, the more breeders we get over time, and the less likely breeding programmes are to collapse.
Needless to say, if you are a dedicated keeper, then the more you can buy, keep, and breed, the better too (just sell those tarantulas and make space ;))

Reaching them all

One last thing to mention is "the isolated hobbyist". Many centipedes get sold to keepers who aren't on arachnoboards, or the main Facebook groups, and aren't in contact with other centipede keepers. On occasion these keepers have a really critical specimen, but are totally oblivious to just how hard others might be looking for it.
  • Sometimes a random pet shop ends up with a few animals which bypassed the usual centipede outlets.
  • Sometimes a centipede jumps out of a suitcase and ends up in a tarantula keeper's collection.
  • Sometimes a private sale happens outside of the usual channels and a newcomer ends up with a super rare species.
I've seen all three happen a few times over. It would be great if we reached even those keepers, most of whom likely lurk on tarantula or scorpion forums rather than centipede forums.

So please do share that link in whatever forums or groups you are in on Facebook. If you're pally with someone with a blog, YouTube channel, or mailing list, please ask for a mention on there. There's no money involved in any aspect of this, we're doing it because we want to preserve variety available in the hobby - and everything so far suggests that isn't easy won't happen unless we coordinate and play smart.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I tried but mine are not listed. You don't have Scolopendra mutilans, which is now a full species rather than a subspecies of subspinipes. You also don't have S dehaani Giant Laos form.

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I tried but mine are not listed. You don't have Scolopendra mutilans, which is now a full species rather than a subspecies of subspinipes. You also don't have S dehaani Giant Laos form.
Hey, thanks for trying! The list of species is pulled from a chilopoda database which is a few years old, so was missing a few species. But you can actually toggle between drop down and text entry on the species and variant fields, meaning you can type in whatever species you want. Just hit the button next to the field:

Screenshot_20210129-140535.jpg

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Many of the difficulties in captive breeding, particularly regarding the "isolated hobbyist" are not unique to centipedes. Indeed many of these problems outline the larger issue with hobby conservation. While some species such as Simandoa conserfariam have managed to do extremely well surviving in the hobby, without organization between hobbyists many other species long term prospects do not look good. Let us not forget that the last passenger pigeons were in the hands of isolated hobbyists who refused to work with one another, leaving the bird to go extinct. The same thing is currently happening with Spix's Macaw. The herps hobby in the US commonly keeps many endangered species such as Abronia graminea but few people are actually trying to breed them, leaving the captive population unstable. This is why the most effective conservation is always going to be done by zoological institutions who possess the resources and organization to do it. But with more and more endangered species (some of whom are reaching that status due in part to the pet trade) even they are struggling.

I think this database is a fantastic idea. Thank you for creating it!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Many of the difficulties in captive breeding, particularly regarding the "isolated hobbyist" are not unique to centipedes. Indeed many of these problems outline the larger issue with hobby conservation.
I agree. I think this says less about centipedes than it does about tarantulas, which we're using as a benchmark. It's easy to overlook or take for granted just how prolific and successful tarantula captive breeding programmes have been compared to any other invertebrate group in the exotics hobby.

Tarantulas have bigger clutches, better survival rates, more breeders and the crucial factor: mature males are obvious and their owners want rid of them, meaning breeders can source them from the far fringes of the hobby. It's a recipe for success, with the result being that many species are now well established, despite the number of pairings which go wrong and a number of bad egg sacs.

It's worth noting that all of that was achieved entirely by hobbyists with very little help from zoos. Zoos are critical for conservation a certain number of larger animals, but many smaller animals exist in far larger quantities within the hobby. Not that this database is actually about conservation yet, though it may well play a role in that one day.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
It is true that invertebrate wise, the hobby dominates most zoos and scientific institutions, something I am actively hoping to slowly change in some of my work. However, a few zoos have also been instrumental in the conservation of invert species such as American Burying Beetles and Lord Howe Stick Insects. I recognize that the hobby has done some amazing work (particularly with tarantulas) but am simply concerned with the long term ability of an ever changing hobby to sustain stable captive populations.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Hey, thanks for trying! The list of species is pulled from a chilopoda database which is a few years old, so was missing a few species. But you can actually toggle between drop down and text entry on the species and variant fields, meaning you can type in whatever species you want. Just hit the button next to the field:

View attachment 373847
Thanks, its very easy to use now you e explained that. I have now added mine on there.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
I registered my Dehaani yellow leg on it.
But I don’t see any list of available specimens in any region o country in Europe or anywhere else in the world. Let’s say I have a male and I wanna see if there are female specimens available around my area/region/country....how am I supposed to find them??
All I see is my specimen registered. In the drop box only a sexing guide, guidelines and home page.
So how does that work?

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I registered my Dehaani yellow leg on it.
But I don’t see any list of available specimens in any region o country in Europe or anywhere else in the world. Let’s say I have a male and I wanna see if there are female specimens available around my area/region/country....how am I supposed to find them??
All I see is my specimen registered. In the drop box only a sexing guide, guidelines and home page.
So how does that work?
Thanks for registering your pede! I'm still building the part which let's you search and will add that to the site soon, at which point everyone who registered will get an email about that, so expect one in the coming week.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Thanks for registering your pede! I'm still building the part which let's you search and will add that to the site soon, at which point everyone who registered will get an email about that, so expect one in the coming week.
Sound as a pound!

Ben sibley

Arachnopeon
Added my dehaani and polymorpha hopefully il add some more once iv got the money to buy more lol

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
This is a great idea, I hope it goes far and allows for better coordinated breeding of centipedes the world over.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Added many of my captive bred clutches and sexed adults a while back. I'm in Australia though, so the usefulness of my input is rather limited.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Added many of my captive bred clutches and sexed adults a while back. I'm in Australia though, so the usefulness of my input is rather limited.
I wouldn't be so despondent, there are bound to be other hobbyists pop up there eventually, and you're probably sowing seeds of interest with your YouTube channel.

One thing I didn't mention in the in the first post is the importance of producing the F2 generation and beyond. The fact is that we still experience low, sometimes very low survival rates in captive born offspring. In Europe over the past 5 years we've had clutches of Red Giants, Mint legs, hainanums, mutilans, cingulata and more which never surfaced as adults. Not to mention the 150 hardwickei produced in 2016, of which there were literally just a handful left 3 years on.

Barring accidents and incompetence, the overarching cause is simply how different a captive environment and diet is to what they are adapted to in nature.

There could very well be a genetic factor in determining the survivors, so by breeding the survivors with other survivors, we will be developing bloodlines which fare better in captivity.

It's not just about surviving to adulthood, but about being able to produce a successful clutch. Clutches from the same female can apparently have very different survival rates, which suggests it's not just the genetics of the offspring, but factors during incubation which affect the strength of the offspring. Without knowing what they are, the only thing we can do is hope there is a genetic factor and apply artificial selection to create bloodlines which produce high survival clutches.

Sure, it's probably worth introducing some wild stock into the gene pool on occasion, but let's first get to the point where we have decent survival rates.

So even if you are an isolated hobbyist, it is worth building up a bloodline which has a high survival rate in captivity, while you wait for others to join the hobby (or to make themselves known). And if people find that database, it will be great if they could see existing specimens on there.

I'll be adding genealogy and Fn features at some point.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
It is true that invertebrate wise, the hobby dominates most zoos and scientific institutions, something I am actively hoping to slowly change in some of my work. However, a few zoos have also been instrumental in the conservation of invert species such as American Burying Beetles and Lord Howe Stick Insects. I recognize that the hobby has done some amazing work (particularly with tarantulas) but am simply concerned with the long term ability of an ever changing hobby to sustain stable captive populations.
It only takes one new law or regulatory interpretation to wipe out extinct species in the hobby but zoological institutions are too few to host populations of more than a handful and much more precarious in nature. Have you been to the National Zoo invertebrate building to see how their invert populations are faring? It was shut down by the director to save a fraction of the money needed to rent pandas for a year. Success stories in the hobby include desert pup fish and it is the only practical solution to save creatures. The problem with centipedes is mostly they are difficult to keep more than a few generations and sadly any plans to coordinate may never overcome the root problem.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
The problem with centipedes is mostly they are difficult to keep more than a few generations and sadly any plans to coordinate may never overcome the root problem.
Can you elaborate on this? Have you noticed a decreasing survival rate as generations go?

ThemantismanofPA

Arachnoknight
it is the only practical solution to save creatures
While the hobby is a very nice avenue for conservation, I don't think it is the only practical solution to save these creatures. Personally I think one of the best responses would be to advocate more for natural conservation via things such as sanctuaries or sections of the lands being preserved by laws, to ensure future success not solely dependent on the hobby. Hobbyists have great potential in these matters, but all it takes is one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us. What if the gene pool was muddied by a hobbyist looking to create a cool hybrid? What if someone did something stupid which resulted in a ban placed on the species? How would you keep track of the captive stock to have it available if the time comes to reintroduce it? In addition, while it is true zoos to not have a true "conservationist" mentality, they are far more likely to be able to obtain grants for these efforts, which can allow for a better chance at retaining a pure bred, readily accessible, captive stock.

One other point that I have heard discussed, but I am not certain about is the idea of captive bred stock possibly harboring parasites/ inadequate genes, which would normally lead to the individuals getting picked off in the wild. In ant keeping, I know this can be a huge problem, as parasites in a captive colony can easily spread, and when said colony is reintroduced to the wild, the parasites can have a devastating effect on the surrounding colonies. I know this is highly theoretical, but the possibility of this happening is there in any conservation effort, and how would either side, zoos or hobbyists tackle it?

Edit: sorry if I misinterpreted your wording, and IMO both sides have their pros and cons, neither is a surefire way of success.