The Funny New Tarantula Owner Thread

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
**Edit**

Let us just post what was the funniest thing that happened to us when we were new.

Well I got sprayed by my Avic lol. I was like whoah. I still laugh about that.

Last edited:

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha that is awesome. Not sure if the mods will appreciate it as much, but it did make my day Chris.

Matt

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
My tarantula hasn't eaten in two days,should I be concerned.Also he has a big black patch on his abdomen is this some kind of fungal infection. Please help!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys have way to much time in yer hands, how about tell stupid thing you did when you wore a newbie? and nothing to make up about it
I did plenty, now look back and laugh, Duh

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno Chris.. Honestly it feels like bashing new keepers without actually bashing them by name (ie: posting on their threads).

I understand and most certainly don't think you meant it this way but one has to remember we did not walk, talk, feed ourselves from the womb but had to be taught and not sure about you but I made plenty of mistakes (and still do) while learning the above skills.

What would I be today if my parents , upon me falling down while attempting to walk, pointed and laughed in a way that made me not want to try again?

I'm not judging you and I hope you understand but I think this could get into new keeper bashing and isolate and belittle many new to T's and this forum. I know I would read some of these upcoming posts and think "well that's pretty much what I did.." Then I would notice the laughter and finger pointing at my obvious mistakes and think twice about asking questions or trying to learn.

Just my 2c brother.

Offkillter

Arachnosquire
I think that the point really should be all of the questions and or mistakes most inexperienced keepers make can be avoided with proper research.I went months reading and learning before I got a T and if people avoid an impulse buy and actually take some time the only questions they need ask would truly be poignant ones.Mistakes happen but a responsible owner is an educated one.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm. didn't think about that before I posted. And that wasn't what I was trying to do so thanks for the heads up.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^Yeah, I figured you were drunker'n Cooter Brown after reading the first post! :)

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm. didn't think about that before I posted. And that wasn't what I was trying to do so thanks for the heads up.
No foul mate most of us who've read your posts understand your love of these creatures and their husbandry and want only what's best for them.

Sorry to have been such a "buzz kill" earlier. :8o

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Still new, but can I add a funny incident?? (And as a newb who has made a mistake or two already.... I don't mind being poked fun at, I'm not that sensitive, but then again I am one of those big meanie doo-doo heads and I laugh hysterically at Mister Internet's posts because he says some incredibly intelligent, but incredibly snarky things. OMG!!! {D)

So I was doing some cage maintenance for Squirt (my avic avic juvie) and as usual, she decided to come out and was crawling on me, and I was trying to get her back into her enclosure, which is never easy. Trying to get a T to do what you want? Yeah right. So finally, I get her almost back into her enclosure and I must have spooked her because she squirted poopies.

All over mah bewbs. {D

Once she was safely away I decided I needed a shower. And that is how Squirt got her name. {D I didn't know such a smallish T could make that much poo. :p

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't mind being poked fun at,
Unfortunately there are a lot of new users on the site and people who are new to the hobby; don't know the personalities of the people on here so they take every thing as a personal attack;

In addition to that there is no sense of tone of voice online. I know I'm bad for that some days (not reading it how it was intended).

As for my newbie thing:

I read something about crickets hurting Ts and I put a few in the refrigerator to slow them down for my T. Well they stopped moving completely and I thought they were dead so I put them in the container and when they warmed up again (10 minutes later) there were 3 crickets jumping around the cage and I freaked out and tried fishing them out but my T was faster than I. Stuffing 2 of the 3 in its mouth rather suddenly.

blackrayne

Arachnopeon
wow...not sure what the original post was, but think that this has gotten out of hand with the critisism for just asking for noob funny stories...everyone is going to have these experiances when they first get a new pet, no matter how much reading up they do, and im sorry but the search function doesnt work very well on here...there are a lot of people that need to chill out........my first noob freak out was the night i brought home my first t--she was sittin in her tank (i hadnt fed her, the sales guy said give her a week) and had pulled one of her legs into her mouth ...i was like "OH GOD NO, DONT EAT YOUR LEG, ILL FEED YOU"...i got on google and found this forum (and a couple others), and found out about t's grooming themselves...and sat back and enjoyed the rest of the show...still my favorite thing to watch if i can catch one in the act...

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there are a lot of people that need to chill out
Pot meet kettle.

I'm only saying this because you didn't see what the original text was, not that it was terrible, so thinking we are all "freaking" out about it and "criticizing" then you too have just done so. I presume most of your tirade was directed towards me so if you wish to discuss it further PM me.

Thanks.

Raine

Arachnopeon
I'm a new T owner and I've already done lots and lots of newb things!

1. When I first got my G. rosea, I thought she had ten legs instead of eight. I didn't know that the two in front were not legs! So I was freaking out about my new 'anomaly' and wanted to ask if it was common! Then I looked up pictures and saw they all had them. {D

2. Recently I finally saw the joints on the underside of a tarantula's legs. I started to get really worried that she was molting or that there were bald spots on her so I posted here asking what was wrong with her. :}

3. I fed my T for the first time, and put in three crickets. I expected her to web them up and suck them dry like a regular spider would. So when I looked back in and there were no crickets I spent quite a while looking for them! After discovering they were no where to be found I got confused and tried to find out where they'd went! It was only then I found out she'd eaten them after all!

I'll leave it at this but needless to say we're all new at one point and we'll all have our 'doh!' moments. :D

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately there are a lot of new users on the site and people who are new to the hobby; don't know the personalities of the people on here so they take every thing as a personal attack;

In addition to that there is no sense of tone of voice online. I know I'm bad for that some days (not reading it how it was intended).
Oh I know. ;) I was just posting to say that not all newbs are super sensitive and get butthurt easily. But some do and I realize that. Just wanted the OP to know that not everyone was going to jump him for being a bit snarky. But I agree that maybe posting "satirical" newb stories may have hurt someone's feelings and they may not have posted their question, etc. I think the thread is much better as is. :D

JimsWebFriends

Arachnopeon
blah blah blah

Newbie thread bah at that? Laugh away chacho's What a stupid thread.

But any ways i was handling one of my T's the other day and it got spooked and flicked hairs every where. Man oh man that sucked. It was on my shoulder at the time.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh Gosh! I have done many things!

• Freaked out wondering how the second spider got into my cage!
  • Drowned a C.elegans sling with a water drop!
  • Nervous to go anywere near the pinktoe because it was black and looked mean
  • Stared for 30 minutes at a spider curled up at the bottom and wondered how the spider died only to realize the spider was hiding and it was it's molt I was staring at.
  • Thrown a cricket into a spider bin with a spider on its back, noticed it and still didn't register it was molting
  • and the list continues.......

Chris... I totally "GET" this thread! Even us "more knowledgeable" folk have our funny stories!

joe - CAK

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Underestimating the speed of some of our slings has been my biggest newbie mistake. I had an itty bitty P. murinus use me as a personal jungle gym for about 15 heart attack inducing minutes, during rehousing once. I kept thinking that it would get tired and slow down long enough for Mr. Gone to cup it, but it had other ideas. It was nice enough to slow down long enough for a pic(second picture) though and I made it through without a scratch on either one of us. :D

Freaking out because 4 of our slings had burrowed down for over a month was another learning experience.:)

CRose801

Arachnopeon
I bought a 4-5 inch P. Metallica that I thought was in pre molt... it didn't eat for a month and a half so I was determined a molt was days away. I looked in its cage and saw it on its side and starting to spit. I was so excited I called everyone I knew that owns T's to brag about how I was gonna have the nicest looking T in Salt Lake... after 24 hourshad gone by with no progress I called em all again in panic mode because I thought she was stuck in the molt... turns out the split I saw was just the underside of a leg joint in a odd position... haha