The freebie I never wanted

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm ashamed to admit I never wanted this little freebie.
I only have it because I forgot to leave a comment in the additional information about your order section. Last year I placed an order containing 4 different species and as I was browsing through stock I'd noticed that a free spider was available it was a P cambridgei sling which to be honest I had no desire to ever own. Anyhow after a few hours searching and deciding I'd got 4 species added to my order I looked at the clock and it was almost 3am so I quickly went to the checkout and paid job done order placed.

Fast forward 2 days order arrives and goes a little like this vial 1 T pruriens sling, vial 2 A braunshauseni sling, vial 3 B klaasi sling and finally vial 4 P cambridgei sling at this point I knew what I'd done or not done in this case so vial 5 P bromelicola sling so my order was complete with the added pain of a tarantula I never wanted.

I had thoughts flying through my head like I'll give it to friend who's wanting to start collecting not a wise thought really, Then a eureka moment I'll give it to a member on here I'll even pay the shipping, So I set up a temporary enclosure and in went said sling almost instantly it started to web so as I was feeding my new arrivals I couldn't leave this guy/girl out so it too got a cricket.
Today it had it's 5th moult in my care it was sat stretching out and it allowed me a peek in to it's world, to say I was amazed at how beautiful it's become is an understatement. Today this tarantula the 1i never wanted is now a tarantula I never want to leave my collection. I wanted to share a little picture to show what a terrible mistake I almost made

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm ashamed to admit I never wanted this little freebie.
I only have it because I forgot to leave a comment in the additional information about your order section. Last year I placed an order containing 4 different species and as I was browsing through stock I'd noticed that a free spider was available it was a P cambridgei sling which to be honest I had no desire to ever own. Anyhow after a few hours searching and deciding I'd got 4 species added to my order I looked at the clock and it was almost 3am so I quickly went to the checkout and paid job done order placed.

Fast forward 2 days order arrives and goes a little like this vial 1 T pruriens sling, vial 2 A braunshauseni sling, vial 3 B klaasi sling and finally vial 4 P cambridgei sling at this point I knew what I'd done or not done in this case so vial 5 P bromelicola sling so my order was complete with the added pain of a tarantula I never wanted.

I had thoughts flying through my head like I'll give it to friend who's wanting to start collecting not a wise thought really, Then a eureka moment I'll give it to a member on here I'll even pay the shipping, So I set up a temporary enclosure and in went said sling almost instantly it started to web so as I was feeding my new arrivals I couldn't leave this guy/girl out so it too got a cricket.
Today it had it's 5th moult in my care it was sat stretching out and it allowed me a peek in to it's world, to say I was amazed at how beautiful it's become is an understatement. Today this tarantula the 1i never wanted is now a tarantula I never want to leave my collection. I wanted to share a little picture to show what a terrible mistake I almost made
Glad it all worked out. Beautiful specimen.

cold blood

Staff member
Welcome to the green side;)

IMO a cam is the single coolest t, sling to adult species I have ever kept...they have everything everyone wants...great growth, good colors, fierce appetite, good size, easy to keep in terms of husbandry and the bigger they get, the less they hide, and easy to breed, which makes them readily available to everyone in the hobby worldwide.

People gush over blue ts, and I get it...but the ones I love are the even rarer, green ones.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'm sure this happens all the time. To me, whether you gave it away or kept it doesn't matter as much as realizing that it's a living thing, it's here, and it needs to be taken care of one way or another.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

IMO a cam is the single coolest t, sling to adult species I have ever kept...they have everything everyone wants...great growth, good colors, fierce appetite, good size, easy to keep in terms of husbandry and the bigger they get, the less they hide, and easy to breed, which makes them readily available to everyone in the hobby worldwide.

People gush over blue ts, and I get it...but the ones I love are the even rarer, green ones.
I'm beginning to agree with on the cool front I'm even thinking of adding another psalmo or 2
Before today it was that typical browny shade that slings are I'd already started to regret not getting 1 in my collection earlier then today this which just confirms how foolish I've been

Abyss

Arachnoknight

Great looking T.
I have never had those yet

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure this happens all the time. To me, whether you gave it away or kept it doesn't matter as much as realizing that it's a living thing, it's here, and it needs to be taken care of one way or another.
Don't worry if I couldn't have found it a suitable home I would've kept it anyway. 1 extra mouth to feed wouldn't do any harm

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

There are many bright blue Ts now, but still there are no bright green Ts. For some reason green is lacking, even the Avic that is quite green, A. sp Kwitara River, is not bright green like say a GBB is w/blue.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I got a free P.muticus when I first started buying tarantulas years ago and I tried pawning it off onto coldblood as I didn't want a big pissy spider that had to be dug out when I rehoused. I have dug it out 3 times now and by the time it gets to any size I will have raised several generations of nastier spiders so in the collection it stays. I think I would only get rid of it if I got really bored of it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I love the contrasting marks on the feet, every species in the genus has some sort of 'Nike'-logo on them.
Good on you for keeping it anyway :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are many bright blue Ts now, but still there are no bright green Ts. For some reason green is lacking, even the Avic that is quite green, A. sp Kwitara River, is not bright green like say a GBB is w/blue.
I have no doubt that somewhere deep in the middle of the Amazon is a bright green Pamphobeteus sp just working it's way through every prey item on the menu and when it's finished it'll casually walk out into the sunlight and say " Feed me Seymour I'm hungry" then us being us we will adopt them in their thousands
The name shall be Pamphobeteus sp brazil green

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, my ulrichea is also green, but not a bright green comparable to the brightness we see in many of the blue or purple specimens.

Now there are brighter green MMs..like the LV and C. schioedtei for instance. image.jpg

And T. ockerti is kinda green...but not nearly as green as the 2 mentioned avics, much less cambridgei...And P. rufilata is kinda green, but not always and not at all light angles all the time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, my ulrichea is also green, but not a bright green comparable to the brightness we see in many of the blue or purple specimens.

Now there are brighter green MMs..like the LV and C. schioedtei for instance. View attachment 231963

And T. ockerti is kinda green...but not nearly as green as the 2 mentioned avics, much less cambridgei...And P. rufilata is kinda green, but not always and not at all light angles all the time.
Yeah all my "green" Ts basically are/were olive/booger green hah. When I saw my male LV molt out MM, I was so disappointed hah.

When you think about insects, many have patterns and/or colors that blend in, incredible camo. I haven't seen a brightly (reds/blues/orange etc) colored T that appears to blend in at all. I don't know why, as predators that eat insects may also eat Ts too (well some of the predators).

My P rufi had that greenish tint, with some flecks of bright lime-like green SORTA, but not the green we might expect to see, but never do so far w/Ts.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
The same thing happened with my Nhandu tripepii. I didn't want it, and quite frankly didn't much care for it until it hit 3". How I love the little beastie. Although I could do without the hairs!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I got given a Chilobrachys huahini sling as a surprise freebie which was pretty annoying as I felt I was nowhere near ready for OW Tarantulas (and had no intention of getting any for a long while off yet) but I thought I'd see how I get on with it, the little bugger seems to be doing alright so far, I'm just extra vigilant during feeding/maintenance etc. lol

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The same thing happened with my Nhandu tripepii. I didn't want it, and quite frankly didn't much care for it until it hit 3". How I love the little beastie. Although I could do without the hairs!
I miss having a Nhandu in my collection. I rescued an adult female N coloratovillosus from certain death back in 2013 I was the 3rd owner and I was certainly going to be her last. She was old when I got her and I knew she wasn't gonna be in my collection for more than a few years, sadly she passed away last year at 11+ years old
I got given a Chilobrachys huahini sling as a surprise freebie which was pretty annoying as I felt I was nowhere near ready for OW Tarantulas (and had no intention of getting any for a long while off yet) but I thought I'd see how I get on with it, the little bugger seems to be doing alright so far, I'm just extra vigilant during feeding/maintenance etc. lol
As long as you take care and use common sense most old worlds are no more daunting than a new world alot of them are shy and reclusive.
One of my 1st ever tarantulas was an adult female C minax or h minax back then I nick named her dynamite because she was like a faulty stick and could go off at any given time. I personally think think minax can be worse than an obt for aggressive behavior.
I'm glad it's all working out for you though with the Chilobrachys

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
I have no doubt that somewhere deep in the middle of the Amazon is a bright green Pamphobeteus sp just working it's way through every prey item on the menu and when it's finished it'll casually walk out into the sunlight and say " Feed me Seymour I'm hungry" then us being us we will adopt them in their thousands
The name shall be Pamphobeteus sp brazil green
However, if this is the case, shouldn't it be called Pamphobeteus sp Audrey II? XD

Anyway, glad you kept it and that it won you over in the end. :)