The Flickiest Fur Babies

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Hi everyone, I've noticed there seems to be some species of T, that even with the best husbandry and most chilled environment still seem to be permanently bald.
It feels like the vast majority of C. Versicolor and GBB pictures i see posted they all tend to have bald bottoms, but I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with their flickiest fuzz balls.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How my hamorii isn't perpetually bald with how much they flick hair is a mystery to me. They kick at nothing. Literally nothing. Just sitting in their cage alone in a quiet area and suddenly they're kicking and running for it.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My c versi NEVER flicks, but my boehmei is determined to blind me. Sometimes she flicks just because I walked by.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My little lp is the worst. Since its last molt i can't even touch the enclosure without it kicking.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
My P.muticus is a hair kicking machine. Can’t even get near the room without hairs being kicked.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
How my hamorii isn't perpetually bald with how much they flick hair is a mystery to me. They kick at nothing. Literally nothing. Just sitting in their cage alone in a quiet area and suddenly they're kicking and running for it.
That's interesting because mine is really nice, at least in this molt 😅

My new subadult LP flicked at me twice when I was trying to cage her. Fun times ahead lol
My LP has just molted and now she's a world record 3" sprint holder 🤣 hopefully not to become the world flick champion

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Im gonna have to think about it. For somebody with around 30 Ts, none of mine (even my B boehmi and 2 GBBs) are big flickers

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
Hi everyone, I've noticed there seems to be some species of T, that even with the best husbandry and most chilled environment still seem to be permanently bald.
It feels like the vast majority of C. Versicolor and GBB pictures i see posted they all tend to have bald bottoms, but I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with their flickiest fuzz balls.
I think what you're seeing there is the mirror patch. GBBs are flicky, but Versicolors physically cannot kick their hairs. Both species, however, have a mirror patch, which can look very much like a bald spot when the light is right. Take a look at a species like G. iheringi, they have a similar mirror patch!

All that said, my flickiest T is my Pamphobeteus sp. tigris. He never fails to throw up a cloud of setae at me 😂

cold blood

Staff member
T. ockerti is among the league leaders in flicking...very sensitive hair trigger flickers they can be.....still, none of my heavier flickers aside from old MMs ever have bald abdomens.....I just dont mess with them, so they have little reason to do so all that frequently (aside from shipping).

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I think what you're seeing there is the mirror patch. GBBs are flicky, but Versicolors physically cannot kick their hairs. Both species, however, have a mirror patch, which can look very much like a bald spot when the light is right. Take a look at a species like G. iheringi, they have a similar mirror patch!

All that said, my flickiest T is my Pamphobeteus sp. tigris. He never fails to throw up a cloud of setae at me 😂
Thanks for this! I didn't know that at all! It sounds silly but it actually put me off having a C. Versicolor because every one i saw i thought was bald and that's just how they were. Same reason i haven't considered a T.Stirmi because they loooove to kick hair and I'd feel like a bad parent every time i saw the bald butt

Craig73

Arachnoangel
None of mine have flicked at me. I am the flick whisper’er. Either that or the scotch tape diapers they wear work incredibly well.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
My champion hair kickers include my B. hamorii, T. stirmi, and N. coloratovillosus. The hamorii is probably the worst. The slightest vibration will cause her to kick hairs.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only one with a partially bald abdomen is my B. boehmei. No surprise there. But she usually flicks on 3 occasions : 1. When startled. 2. If I'm trying to prod her around for maintenance or I need to cup her temporarily. 3. Incoming moult, sheds all of her hairs on her molting mat. Other than that, if I don't disturb her too much, she takes a while before baldness becomes evident.