Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

the extractor

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by scorpion king, Aug 23, 2009.

  1. scorpion king

    scorpion king Arachnopeon

    i have been collecting scorpions for a few years now i have a few different kinds but not yet an arizona bark but would like to get one. but i would like to offer some advice to everyone who keeps venomous animals or who lives in an area where they are found frequently. wal-mart has someting called the extractor it costs 13 or 14 dollars, in the camping supplies. it will suck out venom from scorpions, snakes,spiders,bees, and a rather long list of other venomous critters. it could save your life. i got mine a few months back and when i got home i made a desert hairy scorpion sting me so i could make sure it was gonna work, and it will suck out the venom and your blood. just some friendly advice. a friend of mine passed it on to me after being struck by a gaboon viper.
  2. Extractors DO NOT work for snake venom nor does cutting the wound as this leads to the spread of venom faster. As a keeper of hot snakes I seriously hope your friend went to the hospital for treatment as Gaboon viper venom WILL KILL YOU even with antivenom treatment. the simple fact is extractor are ineffective...Not a flame mind you just coming from experience. I have been breeding and keeping venomous snakes for 2 years and keeping pythons for over 10 years.
  3. calum

    calum Arachnoprince

    yeah, I've heard these things are crap.

    I don't see how one of these could possibly work either. Once the venom is in the bloodstream, you ain't getting it out again.
  4. Widowman10

    Widowman10 Arachno WIDOW Old Timer

    extractors are no good. ineffective.

    oh, and here's something to think about if you are not quite sure of their ineffectiveness: they might be effective if the venom simply sat right at the site of injection. you know how fast blood flows through your body? that venom is whisked away in your bloodstream faster than you can realize what happened. that is why i will never buy something like this. plus there is no need whatsoever for something like this anyway when dealing with any scorpion native to the US.

    just hilighting some stuff. thank you for trying to be helpful though!

    oh, and you better believe i would be going to the hospital after a gaboon bite and not using some little $13 tool from wally... :wall:
  5. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking


    I am not a keeper of poisonous snakes nor am I a medical doctor. I have read about extractors for years though just because they fascinate me. (not so much the extractor but the process, anyway)

    From what I can glean from what I have read, Is that hypothetically, they can be a little helpful. If, they are sitting open and within arms reach. And you have the reflexes of a pit viper and can get it on you and pump in the blink of an eye. Which really means it is completely ineffective for most people most of the time. Not completely worthless near and ready the right person, though. I just wanted to add this to the conversation because I think it's important to clarify.

    They are not recommended for bites anymore because 99% of us won't get it on us fast enough. (most people will want to read the directions before applying :wall: ) More harm has been done by people trying to extract venom than the actual bites sometimes. So they aren't, and shouldn't be recommended for use, but complete info doesn't hurt either. :)

    Oh, but you don't need for C. sculpturatus at all anyway, as stated above
  6. Lets not forget that NOTHING replaces going to the Hospital and seeing Professional Medical Attention. These devices CANNOT EVER replace a Doctor and a team of medical professionals.
  7. K3jser

    K3jser Arachnobaron

    Because every doctor knows stuff about scorpion stings..
    i know not a single doctor in my country knows anything about scorpion stings..
  8. Is there an alternative you would suggest? Here in the US?:rolleyes:
  9. ArachnidSentinl

    ArachnidSentinl Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

    I think the point was that going to a hospital and being amongst medical professionals is much more preferable than sitting on your couch trying to exract venom with a Walmart-bought gizmo.

    Even if a doctor doesn't know how to deal with a specific injury -- and I doubt they wouldn't at least be passingly familiar with venomous bite treatment -- chances are that they can get the proper information fairly quickly.
  10. K3jser

    K3jser Arachnobaron

    a mate of mine got bitten by P.regalis and had some pretty strong reactions to it, he whent to the hospital and they shipped him to like 10 differnt places with 20 doctors having a look at him.. they just gave him some pain killers and sent him home.. i can imagen that even in the US most doctors would just treat pain symtoms and systematic symtoms.. in the US the infomation regarding treatment of stings would be easier to get yeah, but i hope that anti-venom would be the last chance.. most treatments is just to treat the symtoms and take it from there..
  11. Widowman10

    Widowman10 Arachno WIDOW Old Timer

    yeah but that's probably b/c most of the stuff never needs anti-venin. tarantulas, native scorps, etc- just treat the symptoms, no need. rattlesnakes, exotics- need for anti-venin.

    haha, i still hear every once in awhile of people talking about cutting and sucking... that's got to be the worst... :wall: :rolleyes:
  12. Sarcastro

    Sarcastro Arachnobaron

    I agree, I've kept HOT reptiles and inverts for years and have been bitten twice..once by a Gaboon and once by a Gila monster. after the Viper bite i rushed to the hospital where i was told it was by the graces of the gods "a Dry Bite".i was also informed by the specialist that the extractors don't work,and if it had been wet they probably would have had to amputate the leg to increase the chance of survival.
  13. Widowman10

    Widowman10 Arachno WIDOW Old Timer

    wow! :eek: yeah, there's some more proof! amputate the leg, geez... yeah, an extractor is not going to work on an animal with venom like that!
  14. reverendsterlin

    reverendsterlin Arachnoprince Old Timer

    :shame: :shame: :shame: as a keeper of venomous snakes (and I bred west african gaboons) extractors are worthless. If your friend was envenomated by a gaboon he had to have at least 5 vials of SAMIR polyvalent AV or he would have most likely died. If he did not have his own supply then he would have had to of been in or near San Diego or Miami to have had much luck in some being close enough to have been used. I think he was pulling your leg, the worlds largest viper can injects immense amounts venom and is not a strike and release viper, it keeps it's hold. Muscle and nerve damage can be severe even with AV. The cytotoxic effects are even worse with the venom having two hemorrhagic proteins.
  15. Sarcastro

    Sarcastro Arachnobaron

    totally! i got extremely lucky with my bite..luckily i was in S.cal and was treated by a venom specialist and the bite was dry..
  16. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    Well maybe the extractors are completely worthless. I though they could be helpful under perfect circumstances. O'well. Good news is, you sure don't need one for U.S. Scorpions!
  17. EXACTLY why I no longer keep Gaboons I will stick with Elapides;)

  18. Saved me some money there! How much did they cost anyway?:?
  19. Nomadinexile

    Nomadinexile Arachnoking

    Not much, but it's still a waste of money and production and then it's just junk taking up space in a landfill or your closet!

  20. I have C. Scupts running around my yard (and house sometimes) I've also been stung by one (OUCH). There would be no way to get the venom out. And the extractor, waste of money.

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.