The effects of urticating hairs to the eyes.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This picture is a couple of years old. After my B.albopilosum kicked hair at me, I went upstairs and without washing my hands, I rubbed my eye not thinking of the U hairs that where on my hand. This was the result.

It stayed like this for a whole day. It went down a lot after the first day.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: ugh, that looks painful.

never got them in my eyes but i had to deal with u-hairs today, when i pulled out my boehmei's moult and soaked it to get a better look at sex. i was so enthusiastic, i didn't even think about the fact i was bare handed. funny thing though, for me the brachypelma hairs seem to hurt more, but like you said the itch goes away in a day, way quicker than when my grammostolas have gotten me.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Holy smokes! I rubbed my eye once after touching my G. pulchra. Must not have had that much hair on my hands, but enough that I felt like I had put Icy Hot on my eyeball for a few hours. Nothing like that though. Wow. My eyes burn just looking at that picture.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea I have never had a bad reaction to any other hairs except for B.albopilosum. Other Ts U hairs just make me itch for a while, but this one was not fun.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ow ow ow!!!

never got them in my eyes but i had to deal with u-hairs today, when i pulled out my boehmei's moult and soaked it to get a better look at sex. i was so enthusiastic, i didn't even think about the fact i was bare handed. funny thing though, for me the brachypelma hairs seem to hurt more, but like you said the itch goes away in a day, way quicker than when my grammostolas have gotten me.
I did this the other day without thinking with my Avic. sp. I was so excited to have the molt, for some reason I didn't even think they had them :rolleyes: I learned otherwise while my hands itched for several hours later at work.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Believe me, I know how much that sucks...

I blew my nose with some Aphonopelma sp. New River packing material accidentally... never made that mistake again!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yikes! I hate U hairs, but thats not going to keep me from owning NW Ts. I love my Aphonopelmas and Brachypelmas!

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yea I have never had a bad reaction to any other hairs except for B.albopilosum. Other Ts U hairs just make me itch for a while, but this one was not fun.
Ouch, that doesn't look like much fun! Brachypelma U hairs really are a nightmare for me. It started about 2 years ago with temporary itching and gradually got worse. It's now at the point where I have to wear gloves if my hand's going in a Brachy enclosure, otherwise I have itchy, swollen fingers for days. I don't seem to have this reaction with any of my other NW genera.

@jadespider: That made me laugh! (sorry mate)