The death toll is now at 5

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have no idea what is killing my Pedes? The death of five of my pedes has me wondering what has happened?
1.Rhysida celeris andina
2.Ethmostigmus trigonopodus
3.Scolopendra polymorpha
4.Scolopendra subspinipes(orange leg morph)
5.Scolopendra alternans
They died in that order and in 2 days time. I had just put the Rhysida celeris andina
in with the collection (after a 3 week quarantine)
They are all kept with my 200+ Tarantulas and 40+ scorpions no T or scorpion deaths have occurred.I now have only 5 pedes left and have moved them to separate rooms.If anyone has any ideas as to what could be killing only my pedes please let me know:wall::wall::wall:

Last edited:

SAn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
could be a problem with the feeder insects? Are you feeding something diffeent than the rest of collection?
Othr than that any sign of mites or did their bodies have fat-hard parts? (parasites)

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
could be a problem with the feeder insects? Are you feeding something diffeent than the rest of collection?
Othr than that any sign of mites or did their bodies have fat-hard parts? (parasites)
I grow my own feeders (whole collection eats the same feeders)
no mites or parasites? I was thinking more on the lines of Virus or a bacteria but do not know enough about pedes. I just started keeping them again after 20 years of not having them(was bit by Scolopendra subspinipes when I was younger and finally forgot how painful their bite is)

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
any parameters? temperature? what about nematods?
The temp is kept close to 78f 25.5c night / 80f 26.6c day. No nematodes just very strange. I had the Scolopendra subspinipes for over a year with no problems and they all looked and acted normal the Ethmostigmus trigonopodus
was a juvenile the others were young adult to adult

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Weird, sounds like an airborne chemical. They didn't slow down over several days, fine one day, two days later, ...dead?

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Weird, sounds like an airborne chemical. They didn't slow down over several days, fine one day, two days later, ...dead?
I am leaning to some sort of chemical as my boa is showing signs of neurological deficit .I think someone may have sprayed something next door?

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No just the Rhysida celeris andina was new and I had it in quarintine for 3 weeks befor I put her with the collection.
Probably something in their environment then.
Like someone above said... possibly chemicals, though I'm sure it would have affected the Ts too.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I had a couple of deaths over 3 months that I attributed to
chloramine in the water, a chemical that is known to be at fault
in aquarium deaths of tropical fish. I use distilled water now.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
crappy news. i leaning towars some sort of chemical as well. for your boa to show signs, i would think it would have to have been sprayed fairly closely.

nematodes would take a while. IMO, every WC pede is going to have nematodes. I have cut open several for sat. rob and they all had them inside of them. some had one or two and some were packed.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Chef, are you on city water out there in Floridaland? I'd bet that there is a lot of nasty stuff from the water treatment that could accumulate over time, but that still wouldn't account for the new 'pede.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Chef, are you on city water out there in Floridaland? I'd bet that there is a lot of nasty stuff from the water treatment that could accumulate over time, but that still wouldn't account for the new 'pede.
I use bottled spring water for all my bugs.As far as I can tell all my T's are ok and the amblypygids are fine too.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Distilled water is not suitable for living things. I used bottled spring water when misting or filling cups for all my invertebrates.

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How is distilled water not good for live animals? It is the water we are told to use for all the living animals at the lab I work in, both invertebrates and vertebrates.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How is distilled water not good for live animals? It is the water we are told to use for all the living animals at the lab I work in, both invertebrates and vertebrates.
One argument is that distilled water lacks essential minerals.

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just to update lost 1 T a female Haplopelma lividum (cobalt blue tarantula).I have concluded that a neighbor (who is afraid of snakes) emptied a whole can of carburetor cleaner (didn't know they still made this stuff) or something like it in my windowsill. I have someone who witnessed this. I will be talking to the police and my lawyer.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That's &$@%ed! We have a crawlspace under the house for neighbors like that. Sorry about your wee friends, Chef.