The Dead Animal Room

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My grandfather and great grandfather used to do alot of hunting in Africa, and Asia. My grandfather has a large collection of their trophies. He showed them to me the other day, so I was able to get pictures. He calls the display room "The Dead Animal Room", lol.

As a disclaimer, all of the trophies shown are very old. Most from around Hemingways time. When these animals were taken, it was completely legal. I do not, and my family does not, advocate the hunting of these animals anymore. While I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, keep in mind the light of the times. Attitudes about hunting and animals have changed since then.

Im sharing these pics because most of the stuff is really really cool. Its not something you get to see everyday. There were more in our collection, but alot of stuff was donated to museums as they are becoming hard to find. We kept the favorites, and the ones in the best condition.

This is a portion of the African wall. Those are real Elephant tusks, they weigh about 100lbs ea. The mount in the middle is a greater Kudu, and above it is a lesser Kudu. The beautiful ones with the long arching horns are a type of Oryx. There is a wildebeast in the upper right hand corner.

More African antelopes. Unfortunatly, I dont know all of the names.

Here are more Africans. The black Rhino in the first pic is #2 in the Safari Club Internationals record books. My grandfather shot it when he was 30 years old.

More of the record book Rhino. Its a really beautiful animal.

There are a few things from Asia. Most noticably this tiger.

This first pic is of an Asian leopard, the second is an African leopard. You can see the differences in the rosettes.

This is some of the North American trophies. The larger of the bison was shot by my great grandfather. The elk is my grandfathers, as are most of the deer.

And finally, we come to the polar bear. Its by far the most impressive animal I have ever seen. The mount is correct in size, and the animal stands over 9' tall including the 7" tall base it stands on.

My friend is 5'11" in the boots. Isnt it amazing how the animal completely dwarfs him?!

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Who's the poor cutout thats getting mauled
LOL!! Thats Flat Stanley. Hes part of an elementary school project. My friends daughter sent him to me for a Texas adventure, and one of the things I did was take pics with the animals. My grandfather tried to convince me to put him in the bears mouth, but I thought that might scare the kids. {D

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
absolutely horrible to see all these dead animals.may seem cool to some but its clearly not.especially such species that are clearly endengared or close to exticnt these days from selfish people who feel the need to kill these wild animals for fun.makes me sick!!!!!:mad: :mad:
not tryint to direct this at u sky as im sure u love animals and would never do this but im sorry this kind of thing angers me:(

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is the coolest room I have ever seen! Those mounts are absolutely beautiful especially the one of the cat climbing out of the wall (looks like a leopard). I've only seen stuff like that in a museum. You are lucky to be able to get up close to it. That polar bear is kick ass. Yes it's sad to see all those dead animals, but taxidermy is truely an art and it's amazing all the work that went into making those animals look alive.
Totally awesome. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Amazing pics of a time when we didn't know better.
Thanks for sharing them with us Bro.
:clap:

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I realize this isnt for everyone, and I posted it expecting to get many negative responses. But please remember that when these animals were killed, ideas were much different. Instead of getting angry at something that was done in the past, and isnt changeable, wouldnt it be better to work towards changing the future?

Again, I shared these so people can get a chance to see something new. Not trying to upset anyone.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I liked the pics and , like I said, we did not know any better then.
No offense meant towards the gents who shot those animals.
We just didn't know any different back then.
I lived in South Africa as a kid and people shot every type of animal , Apartheid ruled, all things change.
It's nice sometimes to remember the past.
Please don't be despondant if your photos get some negativity.
Any response is better than none.

:)

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those trophies aer cool but also kind of sad, but like you said people's ideas were different back then. That polar bear is something else! It's paw is the size of that guy's head:eek:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
absolutely horrible to see all these dead animals.may seem cool to some but its clearly not.especially such species that are clearly endengared or close to exticnt these days from selfish people who feel the need to kill these wild animals for fun.makes me sick!!!!!:mad: :mad:
not tryint to direct this at u sky as im sure u love animals and would never do this but im sorry this kind of thing angers me:(
this happened before you were born so why you gotta act like that. I also dont believe that we should hunt for sport, however i do believe we are not out of line to hunt and eat what we kill. if you do you have that right but you do not have the right to harrass those who want to hunt

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While sad and unfortunate for the animals, especially that black rhino wow...it is still awe inspiring to see things you don't normally get to see. Especially for those of us without a nice museum nearby.

Awesome mounts and several of those African antelopes are truly stunning. The gracefulness in the neck and the shape of the horns are so breathtaking.

I would hope people could be more mature than the average bear and at least READ your text before letting their mouth get ahead of their brain. So just ignore the negativity, if you can.

There's a guy locally to us who has a lot of exotic heads in his basement as well. He even has a wall of monkey heads, one of which is a rare one-eyed monkey. Its been years since I was down there but it was awesome indeed.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this happened before you were born so why you gotta act like that. I also dont believe that we should hunt for sport, however i do believe we are not out of line to hunt and eat what we kill. if you do you have that right but you do not have the right to harrass those who want to hunt
hey buddy im entitled to my opionion and if you read my post i mentioned this is not directed at her.also yeah times were different back then.these animals were not protected then, BUT outright slaughtering them for sport in me eyes is no different then as it is now.wasnt right then.still isnt right now;)

Timmy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You eat meat? Shooting an animal that was popular in areas, not protected, and not endangered is not nearly what you are trying to make it out to be. If cows somehow get extinct would you bitch at every butcher, every store, every person that supported or ate a cow. The way we kill animals now is much more of a "slaughter" then shooting an animal.

hey buddy im entitled to my opionion and if you read my post i mentioned this is not directed at her.also yeah times were different back then.these animals were not protected then, BUT outright slaughtering them for sport in me eyes is no different then as it is now.wasnt right then.still isnt right now

Last edited by a moderator:

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey buddy im entitled to my opionion and if you read my post i mentioned this is not directed at her.also yeah times were different back then.these animals were not protected then, BUT outright slaughtering them for sport in me eyes is no different then as it is now.wasnt right then.still isnt right now;)
Be Glad you live in the north , People in the south take hunting seriously. I wont hunt for a trophy , but many do down here and its not wise to voice the opinion you have in such a tone around a redneck with a firearm lol

PS this was a joke in case you wondered

Last edited:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Be Glad you live in the north , People in the south take hunting seriously. I wont hunt for a trophy , but many do down here and its not wise to voice the opinion you have in such a tone around a redneck with a firearm lol
{D
i imagine you are a bush supporter aswell.
to stay on Topic tho if people want to hunt fine.im not stopping you.i think its in humans nature to go and kill lots of things.do i think its right tho?not really but thats my opinion so to bad;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
{D
i imagine you are a bush supporter aswell.
to stay on Topic tho if people want to hunt fine.im not stopping you.i think its in humans nature to go and kill lots of things.do i think its right tho?not really but thats my opinion so to bad;)
well this isnt the polo-ticks forum lol but i dont support any polotician as all of them are full of guano lol none support the constitution like they swear to uphold. Especially those sailors from new england