The Container Thread

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think my gf is officially sick and tired of me explaining to her how so-and-so container would be SO awesome for so-and-so tarantula : P

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think my gf is officially sick and tired of me explaining to her how so-and-so container would be SO awesome for so-and-so tarantula : P
haha dude! mine too, she hates when we go out because im like "OOOO LETS get this just for the container lol"

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My wife always laughs at me when I'm attracted to products because of the container and not because of the product.

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha and it's great how so many food containers makes great T containers. I guess they don't like associating the thought of T's with the food they are currently eating

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here's an idea that has worked well for me so far with A versicolor. I wanted something I could easily clean without disturbing the T. I used two 16 oz deli cups, one 3 oz deli cup and one 32 oz deli cup.

I cut the bottom off of one 16 oz deli cup and siliconed it to the open end of the 32 oz deli cup. For humidity, I partly filled the 3 oz deli cup with water (you could used moist substrate) and place it in the bottom of the uncut (base) 16 oz deli cup (I do not glue it in because I want to be able to remove it for cleaning). I drilled small holes in the 32 oz deli cup for ventilation and positioned a small piece of plastic greenery, which is held in place by some of the holes I drilled. The upper half simply sits in the lower half. It's very stable. I never mist the containers. I have 3 versicolors, all about 3 inches now, that have grown in the containers since they were 2nd instar. The containers are easy to clean and they cost me less than $1 ea. For feeding, I lift the top part, turn it upside down, drop in a cricket, let the T grab it and return it to the base. The container in the pic looks clean because most the T poop is sprayed towards the bottom and the eaten food, or uneaten food, drops to the bottom which is easily cleaned.

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
for a while, i was using chilli's desert shot containers for avic slings. i got rid of all but one of the containers. that is about as creative as i have gotten.

i did find a container from Ikea that is crystal clear that i am using for some of my scorpions and plan to use them for some of my terrestrials once they get bigger. they come in a couple of different sizes.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60118214

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I found these little beauties, and I think they are awesome for slings. :)

Unfortunately my camera is just a cheap one, so the picture quality is not that great, but it gives you a good idea of what they're like.

This is the container in its original form: (click on images for full size)

This is after I'd used a soldering iron to make some ventilation holes; lots on the lid, around the circumference at the top, and four mid way down on opposite sides for cross ventilation:

Side by side:

Planted (coconut coir and a succulent plant):

And in this one, you can just about make out our tiny little 1.5cm GBB sling; sadly this camera just cannot focus well on anything that small:

These containers, if you're in the UK, can be purchased for a remarkable £1 (yes, just One Pound!) in Asda stores. Though if you happen to live in Bournemouth, you'll likely find they're sold out, as I bought all of them, lol. ;)

I think they're great for whatever species, burrowers can have it filled to near the top, terrestrial about midway, and arboreals can have the substrate lower to allow for more climbing space.

For me, they are fantastic, good quality ultra clear tough perspex kind of plastic, with a rubber sealed lid that is very secure, but easy to slide in and out of place, without my T being aware I've opened or closed it. No noise, no jolting or snapping.

The only thing she sometimes seems to sense, is the change in air pressure as it releases, if I do it a bit too quickly. A nice slow pull, and she doesn't even flinch.

Anyway, I hope these can be of use to some of you. :)

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I like this one for my MM A. avic. It's a clear paint can from Michael's. It opens with the 'coin' attached to the handle. Just slide it under the lip and gently pry up and the lid releases easily and quietly. Just gently press back in place.
0524101240.jpg

You can see Webster in his tube web just under his bottle cap water dish attached to the side

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like this one for my MM A. avic. It's a clear paint can from Michael's. It opens with the 'coin' attached to the handle. Just slide it under the lip and gently pry up and the lid releases easily and quietly. Just gently press back in place.
View attachment 84214

You can see Webster in his tube web just under his bottle cap water dish attached to the side
Kirsten that is awesome.. I am going to have to make a trip to my local Michaels.. (If I have one.. :D) What are the dimensions of it? I will need 2 for my versicolors when they mature..

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kirsten that is awesome.. I am going to have to make a trip to my local Michaels.. (If I have one.. :D) What are the dimensions of it? I will need 2 for my versicolors when they mature..
Thanks:D This one is 7" tall and 6.5" diameter. They have a smaller one as well, for the little avics,etc. I like the handle so you can use a plant hanger and hang it on the wall. Have the hanger...now which wall?

Ha, my Immature Male A. Avic is named Webster too :)
THIEF! HAHA. I sometime wish I had named him Bojangles for the way he 'dances' when he doesn't want to go back in his home{D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks:D This one is 7" tall and 6.5" diameter. They have a smaller one as well, for the little avics,etc. I like the handle so you can use a plant hanger and hang it on the wall. Have the hanger...now which wall?
Dang! 7" tall.. It looked.. Bigger.. LoL.. Might work for a MM A. versi..

I think you just named one of my P. irminia.. Bojangles.. LoL.. The little one..

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang! 7" tall.. It looked.. Bigger.. LoL.. Might work for a MM A. versi..

I think you just named one of my P. irminia.. Bojangles.. LoL.. The little one..
I do wish it were bigger. I'm thinking of putting Webby in a 2.5 and using the can for a juvie I wish I had.

I'll have to wait for another critter to use Bojangles,and it would need to be a male. I'll not be using it for a T then. Or..I could live vicariously through your P. irminia;)

Mallard

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have used a simular container(tennis ball containers from walmart) for my T. Gigas and my P.Cambridgei slings. I found if you weigh down the just the bottom inch or so they are for the most part stable.
As a precaution I placed them in an area where they would not be bumped or knocked over.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do wish it were bigger. I'm thinking of putting Webby in a 2.5 and using the can for a juvie I wish I had.

I'll have to wait for another critter to use Bojangles,and it would need to be a male. I'll not be using it for a T then. Or..I could live vicariously through your P. irminia;)
2.5 gallons are perfect for A. avics.. My larger 4 are all in them.. My now MM is the largest of all of them.. I measured him at 4.75".. :eek: Big Boy! :D I guess things do grow bigger in Texas.. :cool: {D
My smaller one is about 3".. Maybe 3.25".. I got it in a .5 gallon right now..

Oh.. I wont be stealing Bojangles.. I dont want to steal your next T's name.. :eek:

Venari

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of all the container's I've used, I enjoy my lemonade jugs the best: I puchased an additional four to rehome my A. Avic, P. Cambridgei, P. Metallica, and to have a home ready for my T. Gigas when it arrives (hopefully wednesday).

I may end up using the Pretzel tubs for my A. Genic sling, and for a Pamphobetus sp "platyomma" that needs a new home.

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm the two delis used to be old salad dipping, one still have the sticker thing on it ahha.
The big on on the left used to be for storing dishwasher cubes of soap, cleaned out, took of stickers and tada, i took a screwdriver and put holes on the tops!

jewellery box container to raise my mealie worms.. lol
pill sorters for my super worms

hmm i know this isn't clear but it was great for fishing spiders or something that reaaallly doesn't like to see you. dollar store.

I also have a clear version I use for my rosea, but it has a red 1 latch top, and is shorter but longer and wider, she likes it. lol

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
2.5 gallons are perfect for A. avics.. My larger 4 are all in them.. My now MM is the largest of all of them.. I measured him at 4.75".. :eek: Big Boy! :D I guess things do grow bigger in Texas.. :cool: {D
My smaller one is about 3".. Maybe 3.25".. I got it in a .5 gallon right now..

Oh.. I wont be stealing Bojangles.. I dont want to steal your next T's name.. :eek:
Oh, I don't mind at all:) I meant I wouldn't be using it for a T because it would need to be a boy...like 'Mr.' Bojangles ;) I don't want another boy if I can help it. But...if I end up with one...

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm the two delis used to be old salad dipping, one still have the sticker thing on it ahha.
The big on on the left used to be for storing dishwasher cubes of soap, cleaned out, took of stickers and tada, i took a screwdriver and put holes on the tops!

jewellery box container to raise my mealie worms.. lol
pill sorters for my super worms

hmm i know this isn't clear but it was great for fishing spiders or something that reaaallly doesn't like to see you. dollar store.

I also have a clear version I use for my rosea, but it has a red 1 latch top, and is shorter but longer and wider, she likes it. lol
Who's been busy...YOU! Your mealies have the most stylin' digs to be the envy of feeders everywhere.