The Class Clown Is At It Again

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Diablo, my mad-scientist B. vagans, always seems to be up to something, and this time he's outdone himself ... I laughed my arse off, again, when I checked in on him this morning ... do any of you remember the Twilight Zone episode where a guy flips a quarter into a dish and it lands edgewise, and he can read peoples' minds for the rest of the day? I was reminded of that episode when I saw this ...

God as my witness, this is Diablo's work - somehow he managed to balance his water dish on its edge. How does he do that? I WISH I COULD HAVE WITNESSED IT FIRST HAND!

I gingerly removed the cover from the enclosure and snapped this shot before I left for the day.

When I got home tonight, the upturned water dish was still there, balanced on its edge - it remained untouched all day! Diablo sat smugly nearby as if admiring his accomplishment. Having immortalized the event digitally ("pics or it didn't happen" as the saying goes), I made the motions to set the bottle cap down to put water in it again, and Diablo, having none of it, sprang into action ...

He valiantly came to the rescue of his "water-dish-as-art" - I know it pissed him off, and I can't say I blame him, but I did set it down, discovered it was in need of a cleaning, wrestled it from Diablo's stubborn grasp, and replaced it with a different bottle cap.

I know that tarantulas' brains are supposed to be just a primitive cluster of ganglia, but in Diablo's case ... well, he worries me...

Your move, Diablo!

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
This is why Vagans have always been my favorite species. Every one I've ever kept had tons of personality. I think personality is much more attractive than bright colors or patterns. Diablo seems like a cool lil dude :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a Pamphobeteus who did that exact same thing once. I was amazed. My guess is that they prefer extra the floor space and that's the only way they can get the dish "out of the way". Of course, they aren't capable of grokking the fact that without the water dish there will be no water. But hey, what do you expect from a brain the size of a pinhead?

kc7wdg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sure looks after reading many posts about B. vagans that they are the rosie of the Brachypelma's.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awsome!........in the 1st pic, it looks like she is useing the force to hold it up....lol

The force is strong with you, young vagans!

...now, if she starts shooting lighning bolts at you from her the tips of her front legs, and yelling "unlimited power"....then you might have a problem!....lol

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
I have a Pamphobeteus who did that exact same thing once. I was amazed. My guess is that they prefer extra the floor space and that's the only way they can get the dish "out of the way". Of course, they aren't capable of grokking the fact that without the water dish there will be no water. But hey, what do you expect from a brain the size of a pinhead?
So brain size is indicative of the amount of intelligence? That's not how intelligence and evolution operates. A child's brain is nowhere near the size of an adult's. Yet the intellect is just as powerful IF NOT more. I just don't agree with tarantulas not being intelligent due to small brains. If it were dumb, it would not move the water dish out of the way, only to defend it. Also, each tarantula has it's own personality. Therefore, they use their intelligence accordingly to develop these personalities. If they were all stupid little creatures, then they'd all operate and act the same. However they don't. Remember, microchips are copies of brains. Only in the tiniest of forms.

Even in the skull of a human, we are only using 10% of that huge mass of scramble Ramen noodle we call a brain at a time, some of which is inoperable. Yet we call ourselves very intelligent. We should respect intelligence within insects and animals for what it is. Not for what we perceive it to be.

Cheers

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awsome!........in the 1st pic, it looks like she is useing the force to hold it up....lol

The force is strong with you, young vagans!
we were thinking on the same lines looking at that pic, lol.

very cute pictures OP. some vagans do tend to be sort of strange the more and more i delve into threads created by their owners. wish mine was a weirdo, instead of a just being a witch.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Even in the skull of a human, we are only using 10% of that huge mass of scramble Ramen noodle we call a brain at a time ...
This reminds me of my favorite Ellen DeGeneres gag: "It is said we humans only use 10 percent of our brain power ... imagine what we could accomplish if we used the other 60 percent!"

Quote "We should respect intelligence within insects and animals for what it is. Not for what we perceive it to be."

Quote "Awsome!........in the 1st pic, it looks like she is useing the force to hold it up....lol"

Quote "The force is strong with you, young vagans! we were thinking on the same lines looking at that pic, lol."

I can only pray that Diablo ultimately uses his powers for Good. Like I said, he worries me! ;)

Suidakkra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe, if yours is a Jedi using the force, mine must be a Clone Trooper gunner, and its hide is the Death Star. She just sits there waiting for something to pass by so she can just hair the heck out of it, lol. "Red 6, Red 6 pull up, pull up, ayyyyyy"

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mythbusters already proved we use way more than 10% of our brains fyi. Personalities are shaped through experiences, so I would think that everything has a personality of it's own. Not to mention every brain is different.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that tarantulas' brains are supposed to be just a primitive cluster of ganglia, but in Diablo's case ... well, he worries me...
This made me chuckle. That is the exact same thing I was thinking when one of my P.irminia bolted to her hide but....couldn't feel where the opening was.. LOL! {D

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This made me chuckle. That is the exact same thing I was thinking when one of my P.irminia bolted to her hide but....couldn't feel where the opening was.. LOL! {D
Po' thang! I hope she didn't hurt herself ... :( Reminds me of Caveman, my pulchra - not the sharpest fang on the theraposid - he's more brute than brains - he can, and has, moved a piece of cork bark 3 times his size and weight from one end of his enclosure to the other (wish I coulda seen THAT), but he routinely overshoots his crickets and they have a field day escaping him. They taunt him, the poor guy ...

I love the Star Wars analogies - if they did a Star T Wars (Star Tars ?), Diablo would be cast as Darth Vader (Yoda he ain't hahah) -

And as for the personality being a product of experience, I can only conclude what I've suspected all along - that Diablo's sour and pugnacious disposition is the direct result of demon possession :evil: