The "bold" L.Parahybana?

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've read all the caresheets on the web on this spider, and almost all say: "it's a magnificent display spider as it's quite bold, hence wont almost hide at all, rather climb and dig a whole lot" urr.. i've had two (one of em was sexed as male, therefore switched in for a female (hopefully)), and they are never seen outside their burrow! (or hideout if you prefer). They are also extremely skittish (caresheets also claim that they are more prone to want to "hold their ground, rather than move"). If i accidently touch the tank, she/he curls up in the burrow like a friggin wussy! ;)

so is your L. Parahybana "bold" or is it a friggin wussy hiding all the time; as mine?

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine has never gone into a threat posture but it definiely likes to flick hairs and run away.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of mine are still babies, but they'll definitely hold their ground while I'm cleaning their cages or feeding them. They'll even threaten the tweezers (which is cute when they're a third of an inch long).

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine has had a burrow, in which it molted last time, now he seems to have abandoned it, roaming though his enclosure (which is quite large for his size but he will stalk crickets around the whole enclosure and grab them, so eating-wise it's not a problem). He is not afraid to go in the threat-posture and he very rarely kicks hairs. Seems like there are a whole lot of parahybana-personalities...:)
greetz,
Joost

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 3 1/2 inch female NEVER comes out of it's den. I have to shine a flashlight in to see if it is still alive! Kind of iritating, I hope it comes out more when it is older. At least my T.Blonies come out when they are hungry.

Bob

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I must have the exception to the rule! My 6" + NEVER uses her hide. she is ALWAYS out in the open, just hanging out. I can handle her with no problem either, but I itch like crazy after doing it.

Last edited:

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
argh.. too bad (the perpetual hiding), mine's such a beaut now that she/he's got adult coloration and is newly molted an' all.. But the itching.. i can imagine.. i accidently touched my nose after having messed with the molt.. bad mistake.. i'm still itching ;)

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool pic

Nice pic, I bet you have to wash your hands for 10 minutes straight.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey Immortal_sin, did you notice any difference in appearance in your female Parahybana and the male (Talon) while they were growing? (longer legs, coloration, whatever)

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Re: cool pic

Originally posted by Alonso99
Nice pic, I bet you have to wash your hands for 10 minutes straight.
hell, I don't bother, I just go straight to the shower LOL
she is a menace with those hairs :)

Last edited:

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hairs suck suck suck. Luckily mine seemed to give up on the hairs after a while...unless she really doesn't wanna be bothered. I have a question, though. I have had...for the longest time...a half-log in there for her to burrow under. Well, just recently she started to burrow all around it and under it...one side already collapsed and I'm worried about the rest of it collapsing on her. It appears that she is worried about the same thing because she has sort of built up the other side. Should I just play it safe and remove the thing? I'm worried about stressing her out because she has been working steadily on the dadgummed thing. What do you all think?

Always a blessing
Marcus

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P.S. I just realized you all were speaking of L. Paras and mine is a B. Albo. Sorry for the mix-up, but I just judged by the pics and they look a lot alike, accept for the longer legs on the L. Paras. The question still remains though. All opinions are much appreciated. Thanks

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
@Schlinkey

I only have 1 L para...I thought he was a boy, now I"m 99% sure she is a girl...geez, I need to make up my mind, don't I?!!

@Ephesians

what kind of substrate are you using? Is the log made out of cork bark? I wouldn't worry about it, they know what they are doing. I've collapsed burrows on more than one of my Ts without harm.
But she seems to be happy digging around, I would just let her.
The only time I interfere is if I'm changing substrate, or separating slings.
The exception would be if you have something heavy, like a rock, that could fall and crush her. I would stay away from decorations like that.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Immortal that is one beautiful spider. Super healthy looking. I can only hope mine will be that nice. Right now it's very skittish, rarely threat postures though, or kick hairs, but buries it's face in a hole like an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand - it's lil'butt sticking strait up. Silly thing :D

schlinkey, I made that rub your nose mistake too - after handling my large Chaco. I never really felt too itchy after holding her but I would always wash mine hands. I'm here to tell ya though that if you actually are addle brained enough to rub them into the side of your nose the itching is intense !

Gail

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Holly

Its mostly peat moss with some potting soil. Pretty dry, but somewhat moist. And yes, its cork bark. I am thinking of getting her a new tank...but she is in the largest PetPal I could find. I have to store my spiders in covert boxes because of room checks, etc. We aren't allowed to have pets here. I usually close up a large box and cut around the top and the each side of the front, taping the folds on the top together from the underside, so it makes a foldout. Noone is allowed to open boxes when they roomcheck, so this proved to be clever. Anywhooo, she seems to be frustrated because the fallen halflog cut off a lot of her burrowing space and kind of blocked her burrow into a corner. She is about 5.5 inches and I think she just needs a larger tank all in all. This will prove to be a pain, but she's worth it. Definately my fav. T. Thanks for the imput.

Marcus

Fuggrur

Arachnopeon
Here is Grandpa, My old mature male.. He is as calm as can be, never reared up on me, never attempts to run or hide... I just wish he was a she.. :(

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've wanted to get a parahybana for a long time now, Could you tell me how they are as far as care difficulty ? Do you have to keep them humid, or will they be all right in a dry tank ? I'm asking because I want a couple more T's ( L. para being one of my favs ) , but I need them to be pretty hardy, so that if I have to go away from home for a weekend, or a few weeks, they will all be ok. Can you do this with an L. para ?

Thanks for any help !

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think there are that many spiders which are HARD to keep.. (there are some of course) but the Parahybana aint one of em.. I keep mine in a well ventilated tank, slightly misted soil on one side, and a water dish. Quite hardy if you ask me :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
super hardy!

mine is in the living room, she has a UTH on the side of her 10 gal aquarium for warmth, and a screen top, which is mostly covered with saran wrap, a large water dish, and peat/verm mix for the substrate.
She also has a hide but I've mentioned she's never used it.
I have some green sphagnum moss that I mist occasionally in there as well

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: super hardy!

Originally posted by Immortal_sin
mine is in the living room, she has a UTH on the side of her 10 gal aquarium for warmth, and a screen top, which is mostly covered with saran wrap, a large water dish, and peat/verm mix for the substrate.
She also has a hide but I've mentioned she's never used it.
I have some green sphagnum moss that I mist occasionally in there as well
how big is yours?