The Big 3

tonyb24

Arachnopeon
Nope, and I doubt I will. As you can see, she seems happy enough with XL locusts and the odd cricket too. 🙂
Oohh. Those are locust! Haha, I got crickets, and at 2inch they already grabbing 2. Huh.. I give em 1 or two mostly everyday. Hmm.. as long as they grab em, I guess I dont have to worry about overfeeding?

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
Oohh. Those are locust! Haha, I got crickets, and at 2inch they already grabbing 2. Huh.. I give em 1 or two mostly everyday. Hmm.. as long as they grab em, I guess I dont have to worry about overfeeding?
They were crickets in the video. She usually has 3 XL locusts and then I throw in have a dozen large crickets just to catch whenever she feels like it. Do the same with the srirmi, apophysis and other blondi. 👍

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
I'm starting to think the blondi I had years ago was actually a stirmi. It looked an awful lot like the stirmi pictured in the OP's post. Apophysis was a fairly new species back then and I don't remember stirmi being recognized back then.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I'm starting to think the blondi I had years ago was actually a stirmi. It looked an awful lot like the stirmi pictured in the OP's post. Apophysis was a fairly new species back then and I don't remember stirmi being recognized back then.
Classifications were not as good as they are now and common names was more the norm.

'Mexican Red Knee' (smithi or hamorii) being another example of what we now know to be 2 separate species. That's before we even get started on Avicularia and the whole "pink toe" naming convention. Ha ha

Do you have any old pics of your "Goliath"

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
Classifications were not as good as they are now and common names was more the norm.

'Mexican Red Knee' (smithi or hamorii) being another example of what we now know to be 2 separate species. That's before we even get started on Avicularia and the whole "pink toe" naming convention. Ha ha

Do you have any old pics of your "Goliath"
Fished this out of the depths of my old laptop.

Attachments

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I never really wanted one of these, but I was considering getting one when I have a house and more space. I think my partner would like enjoy having a truly big tarantula around.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I never really wanted one of these, but I was considering getting one when I have a house and more space. I think my partner would like enjoy having a truly big tarantula around.
Yeah do it. They are deceptively quick for such big units. I used to think they were just big brown spiders and never really gave them any 2nd thoughts but now I totally understand the attraction and the subtle differences they have. And what's not to love about a massive spider right?
Currently on x4 blondi, x5 apophysis and x2 stirmi.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yeah do it. They are deceptively quick for such big units. I used to think they were just big brown spiders and never really gave them any 2nd thoughts but now I totally understand the attraction and the subtle differences they have. And what's not to love about a massive spider right?
Currently on x4 blondi, x5 apophysis and x2 stirmi.
I can't imagine! I will have to decide which I want when I do get one. I look forward to observing their behaviors.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
What size enclosure would you recommend for a 2 Inch apophysis, guys? Also, how quickly do you need to switch up?

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
Started mine in a large critter keeper with holes drilled just above the substrate for cross venting. After the second molt, I realized it was needing something bigger soon. Rehoused to a 5.5 gallon at 3"ish. Been in there for 2 more molts. Now I'm thinking about the next rehouse already....Just my current experience